Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   HELP P1316 code & Runs Rough?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/598300-help-p1316-code-and-runs-rough.html)

racingtom 04-02-2007 06:16 PM

HELP P1316 code & Runs Rough??

On sat. morning I drove appx. 1/2 mi. parked, came out 5 min. later and started my 2001 F350 SD Diesel W/75,000 mi. and it was running rough and the SES light was on. I changed fuel filt. in the fall and maintain it well.

Pulled the code with my OTC Genisys and came up with P1316 Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Codes Detected.

My Alldata dosen't go to 2001 and I have no other info for this truck. I'm thinking I've got a injector gone bad.
Any one have any exp. with this that can guide me??

TIA

Tommy

Pocket 04-02-2007 06:49 PM

P1316 is a generic IDM code. It means that you have more codes stored inside the IDM itself. The way to retrieve them is to run an injector buzz test.

Since I've never used the Genisys, I have no idea if it's capable of that. Quite a few PSD owners as well as myself use Autoenginuity, which can run a buzz tests and pull IDM codes in a few seconds.

If you can't pull the IDM codes at the moment, your best best is to first check the UVC harnesses. They are located in the middle of each valve cover and each face the valley of the engine. You'll either have chaffed wires from a failed harness, or the clip underneath the valve cover popped off. For that you'll have to take the valve covers off and reconnect. They come off surprisingly easy.

Hope this helps.

racingtom 04-02-2007 07:07 PM

Thanks Pocket I'll ck if I can do a buzz test tommorrow.
Not to sound stupid but what is the IDM ??

wlihntr 04-03-2007 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pocket

If you can't pull the IDM codes at the moment, your best best is to first check the UVC harnesses. They are located in the middle of each valve cover and each face the valley of the engine. You'll either have chaffed wires from a failed harness, or the clip underneath the valve cover popped off. For that you'll have to take the valve covers off and reconnect. They come off surprisingly easy.

Hope this helps.

yep ...most of the time thats it...

racingtom 04-03-2007 06:25 PM

Well I started my truck this morning for my drive to work (appx 8 mi. drive) and it was running fine with no SES light, at arround 6 mi. here it goes again missfiring and SES on.
So after work I decided to pull the valve cover's and of course the second one I pulled
the connector was backed off, while I had the both cover's off I secured both harnesses inside the cover's. Only took about 2 hrs. . Started good and road tested, runs great.
Thanks for the help guy's.

Tommy

Pocket 04-03-2007 06:33 PM

Glad you got it back up and running right.

racingtom 04-03-2007 06:44 PM

Thank's Pocket.
Just for reference I'll check if the Genisys can do a buzz test.

racingtom 04-04-2007 05:14 PM

Well I checked today and in the "Self Diagnostics" menu with a OTC Genisys here are the test's.
KOEO Injector Buzz Test
KOEO Output State Test
KOER Self Test
KOER Glow Plug Self Test
KOER Cylinder Contribute Test
KOER Switch Self Test

Ran all the test's and all is good now.

Tommy

krewat 04-04-2007 05:39 PM

I think Pocket rates some rep points for that (click the scales on the right upper side of his post).

Great going!

racingtom 04-04-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by krewat
I think Pocket rates some rep points for that (click the scales on the right upper side of his post).

Great going!

Done

Tommy