Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   Anyone a Windows user??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/598087-anyone-a-windows-user.html)

oneminizut 04-02-2007 03:04 AM

Anyone a Windows user???

I can tell you now that I know several of you used to start off with DOS and maybe DBase if you were in my field. I'd like to introduce some of you to Linux. I have many Distro's copies. And if not I guess I could just help you out with your bloated Windows problems. If I can't work on your rig I'm gonna help in some way! You got a computer problem then come see me!

Carlene 04-02-2007 08:39 AM

I use my Windows all the time, except for the one that won't go down anymore. I don't see where introducing them to Linex is gonna help any. Wouldn't it be harder to see outta?

ToastedToad 04-02-2007 08:53 AM

Avid Linux user here. Hooked on ArchLinux, but have also used many different distros over the years.

oneminizut 04-02-2007 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carlene
I use my Windows all the time, except for the one that won't go down anymore. I don't see where introducing them to Linex is gonna help any. Wouldn't it be harder to see outta?

I don't know that I have a good comeback for that one.

Slackware Linux here.

Carlene 04-02-2007 04:57 PM

:-X22 Well, at least you GOT it. :-missingt

ToastedToad 04-02-2007 09:17 PM

Slack and Arch are kinda similar. Good to see a fellow Linux user in the chapter.!

oneminizut 04-02-2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ToastedToad
Slack and Arch are kinda similar. Good to see a fellow Linux user in the chapter.!

Yeah, no doubt. We can throw some of our favorite programs at each other and see if the other one has tried it. First of all, I believe VLC is the best movie player Linux can use.

MARTYSTOWRIG 04-02-2007 09:52 PM

:-missingt Yeah screw youe Linux.

I have a Toshiba laptop that has about 1000000 miles on her. It is a 1997 sattelite. It needs a battery(i get about 6 minutes out of it)a hard drive(after complete restore it still had 186 registry issues) and some damn ram and memory. Can you help me :-missingt :-missingt :-missingt

brentleedragon 04-02-2007 09:58 PM

my laptop (dell inspiron 5100) monitor just broke :'( i use windows partially because I am too lazy to download any linux how sad right? oh well I am running windows xp home on a nice Compaq (though i hate compaq's) and then im running XP Pro on a P3 450MHZ with 320mb of RAM and a 128mb vid card and has a 19inch monitor plugged into it ROFl:-X14

im handy with comps, software and most hardware stuff

:-)

oneminizut 04-02-2007 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
:-missingt Yeah screw youe Linux.

I have a Toshiba laptop that has about 1000000 miles on her. It is a 1997 sattelite. It needs a battery(i get about 6 minutes out of it)a hard drive(after complete restore it still had 186 registry issues) and some damn ram and memory. Can you help me :-missingt :-missingt :-missingt

As far as the battery I'm afraid you'll need a new one. As for the registry issues, did you re-format when you reloaded the OS, and if so there are several programs out there to help with registry issues. Either I could somehow send the program to you or take a look at the laptop myself. I didn't really understand about the ram thing though. Is it that you don't know how much ram you have or that there is an issue with that as well?

brentleedragon 04-02-2007 10:04 PM

CCLEANER! marty for registry clean ups and that stuff, it is amazing

oneminizut 04-02-2007 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by brentleedragon
my laptop (dell inspiron 5100) monitor just broke :'( i use windows partially because I am too lazy to download any linux how sad right? oh well I am running windows xp home on a nice Compaq (though i hate compaq's) and then im running XP Pro on a P3 450MHZ with 320mb of RAM and a 128mb vid card and has a 19inch monitor plugged into it ROFl:-X14

im handy with comps, software and most hardware stuff

:-)

Yeah, I've had several like the one you speak of with XP Pro. I also have a compaq, but it was the only laptop I could afford. Starving Student s*c*s!

brentleedragon 04-02-2007 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by oneminizut
Yeah, I've had several like the one you speak of with XP Pro. I also have a compaq, but it was the only laptop I could afford. Starving Student s*c*s!

aw lol im hoping to get a new one this year workin my arse off

MARTYSTOWRIG 04-02-2007 10:14 PM

I have 250 m ram i think
My buddy is a comp tech and does freelance work. He went through both my comps last year and said back then that my HD was shot. I have serious issues with them. I break computers like most guys drink beer. I want to get a new Laptop but am strapped for $$ until I get a new Job. I am spending over 750.00 a month in fuel and that sucks all the disposable income up.

oneminizut 04-02-2007 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
I have 250 m ram i think
My buddy is a comp tech and does freelance work. He went through both my comps last year and said back then that my HD was shot. I have serious issues with them. I break computers like most guys drink beer. I want to get a new Laptop but am strapped for $$ until I get a new Job. I am spending over 750.00 a month in fuel and that sucks all the disposable income up.

You may be like my wife and this is true... I've seen it. I guess some people emit like an electrical charge similiar to an EMP or something? Anyways she can't use laptops especially cause she fries them. I thought it was crazy talk at first but she really fries them.