Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   What is this? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/597639-what-is-this.html)

Motorhead26 03-31-2007 09:37 PM

What is this?

This piece came off of my body lift kit and I have no earthly idea what it goes too. The directions are crap!! :mad: I recieved an extention for the parking column, but I am not sure if this is for the steering extention and if it is where does it go? Take a look and tell me what it is and where it goes if you know. Thanks!!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/IMGP0878.jpg

Motorhead26

Rocket Racing 03-31-2007 11:38 PM

I would have said that it was for the shifter linkage, but you are saying that you already have one for that ?

It looks way too small to be involved in the steering column. I replaced my steering shaft with a Borgeson setup when I did my lift, so I cut that to fit the new height.

to many oft 04-01-2007 07:23 AM

its a weld in peice for manual clutch link

Motorhead26 04-02-2007 01:37 PM

Mine is automatic, so your saying I don't even need it and I should be ok with my regular steering shaft? Its a 3" body lift. OH, and what is a Borgeson setup? Do I need to weld an extention in my stearing column or something.

Motorhead26

Motorhead26 04-02-2007 07:25 PM

Never mind guys. If anyone did not know, because I didn't, the original 87-91 F-150 steering column extends. There is no pin to drill out or anything, just lift the truck like you regularly would and it will extend itself out. One metal rod goes inside the other and will extend out. You might have to grease it if it feels like it is binding. I found out I don't have to change anything out afterall. Peace boys!!

Motorhead26

Franken-Truck 04-02-2007 09:15 PM

Yeah, I think it is suppossed to collapse in the event of a front end collision. There is a plastic sleeve in there that wears out and can cause slop in your wheel. The Borgsen is a high end, rock climbing type steering shaft. . .the ones I have seen look like mini drive shafts, built tough and are some serious $$BLING$$ 8D

Are you sure you might not need it for the auto linkage? I don't remember there being 3" of play on my old '87 in the linkage area :-wink

Motorhead26 04-03-2007 01:04 PM

I guess I will find out when I get the core support done and put everything back together whether or not I need some extra linkage or not. As of right now the colmun extended all the way out while I lifted it. I did notice that plastic sleeve around the column that you are talking about and it seemed to look like it was ok, not cracked or anything that I saw. I will have to get out there and turn the wheel a couple of times and see what happens once I connect everything so I don't turn the key on and accidentally pump something out any open tube on to the ground. That would suck! Besides, before I put everything back together I plan on undercoating the front frame all the way up to the bumper brackets and then do the rest once I drop my new 302 in. The block and heads should be done at the end of this week. I will have to scrape together the money and get the kit to put the new 302 back together. I will need a high pressure oil pump/water pump/rods & pistons/cam shaft/rocker arms and all the accessories. I am wondering whether or not I should buy new parts and turn in my old parts off of the engine in my truck and get the core charges back. This way I have new parts and am getting rid of the parts I don't need. OR ARE THE KITS CHEAPER? I don't want to spend over 350 really!

I'll let you know what happens.

Motorhead26

kjett 04-04-2007 08:29 AM

I know exactly what that is!!! It is an extension piece for the tranfer case shifter! If you have a manual shift tranfer case, you will need to remove the lever, cut it and weld in that extension piece. This will allow you to keep the factory geometry of the shifting and not have to cut or beat your floorboad as the stock lever will be too short! If you have the pushbutton or knob shift, then that rod is not needed. Been there done that with body lifts.

Motorhead26 04-04-2007 01:28 PM

Thanks Karl!

Motorhead26

Franken-Truck 04-04-2007 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by kjett
I know exactly what that is!!! It is an extension piece for the tranfer case shifter! If you have a manual shift tranfer case, you will need to remove the lever, cut it and weld in that extension piece. This will allow you to keep the factory geometry of the shifting and not have to cut or beat your floorboad as the stock lever will be too short! If you have the pushbutton or knob shift, then that rod is not needed. Been there done that with body lifts.

WHAT?!?!

Your kiding, right?

:-wink

to many oft 04-04-2007 08:02 PM

yeah? never had to do anything to the transfercase shifter,exept cut the floor a little
as i said its an extention for the clutch rod that goes through the floor
I make new ones insted of welding that piece in

Franken-Truck 04-04-2007 08:13 PM

Completely unrelated to the question at hand, your dash looks awesome! I completely agree, Ford's choice of interior colors sucked back then. My old truck was that awful red color. . .had to paint everything I could Gloss Black 8D

kjett 04-05-2007 05:42 AM

I've done enough body lifts in my day and every one of them had that piece. The few that had destructions said it was an extension piece for the transfer case shift rod. Helped a friend out with a 3" body lift on his Dakota a while back and we trimmed the floor and tried to re-bend the lever to avoid cutting it. Needless to say he never could get it into 4 high until I cut and welded the extension in.

Just another reason why I avoid body lifts.

Franken-Truck 04-05-2007 05:52 PM

Okey-dokey :-X22 Thats just the darndest thing I've heard. . .but I've never done a body lift, so I really don't know 8D

Motorhead26 04-05-2007 09:14 PM

Well, I will say thanks for the insight but I AM doing a body lift that includes and automatic, not standard. Besides the bushings needed it. If you look at my gallery you will surely agree, I'm sure! New bushings and while there off may it a little higher than right on the frame. I think the only problem I MAY have with the lift is the steering column like Franken Truck and I talked about before. I will grease it all up and after the truck is back together than I will drive it and see how it handles on steering. I've talked to other people who have 87 models and they just greased it and after a little bit it loosened up and was fine. We'll just have to see and I'll let you all know whats up. I'l keep posting pics and keeping up on some new one through out my gallery. My digital camera takes awsome pics and new ones are posted all the time while progress is, of course, progressing!
Hey thanks for the compliment about my dash, Franken Truck. I took some stripper and wiped it clean and then painted it with some special spray paint. I masked everything off that I could and went to town. I've got one of those plastic spray handles and it helps so much when I use the cans for anything. It is so evenly distributed and it looks very professional when done. The windshield is cracked and I will have to touch up the other side once that is removed and another new one is replaced. Thats not for awhile though. Anyway, I've rambled on enough and I will post some new pictures this weekend. I plan on picking up that core support Saturday and cleaning it up for install. Soon she will come alive, in due time.

Motorhead26