Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Hunting, Fishing and Hiking (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/596578-hunting-fishing-and-hiking.html)

Placermike 03-28-2007 10:37 PM

Hunting, Fishing and Hiking

Alaska is a beautiful place, and many want a chance to hunt,fish or hike up there. Use this thread to give information or ideas on the topic.

B-one 03-30-2007 02:46 PM

i went scouting out at 20 mile river just south of anchorage the other day. saw lots of coyote and rabbit sign, as well as moose.

encountered a couple calves towards the end of the ride, that was neat. moose can really move through the snow if they want to.....

gt250 03-30-2007 06:56 PM

Hey Mike,There is hunting and fishing all over alaska. Just depends on what kind of fish you want and what kind of hunting you want to do.

gt250 03-31-2007 10:45 AM

Today they are having the White King derby in homer. $20,000 pot. It was scheduled for last week and I was suppose to go but the ice was so bad they cancelled it till this weekend. Know i'm sitting here at work missing out on the first King trip of the seasonx(

arctic y block 03-31-2007 11:21 AM

Whites, We call them winter Kings. And they are abundant here. Do ya suppose I could mail ya a 60 pounder gt? 10 grand apiece would be fine by me. HAAAA
Turned down a mess of steamers and butter clams last night as I didn't want to mess with them. Friend pulled a 34 inch Steelhead out of the creek down town yesterday. So I guess spring is here. Even if it don't look like it. We still got plenty of Home Guard Halibut around. But the weather makes it tough to get to. Also all the oysters ya can pack. But than again they are a little hard to get to right know.
As for Hunting. We have the usual and the occasional Moose or Elk.

Placermike 03-31-2007 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by gt250
Hey Mike,There is hunting and fishing all over alaska. Just depends on what kind of fish you want and what kind of hunting you want to do.

I hunt and eat everything!...The only bad hunting I ever done was at a bar, but she was a different animal.

arctic y block 03-31-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Placermike
I hunt and eat everything!...The only bad hunting I ever done was at a bar, but she was a different animal.

Thats where the Flame Thrower works good. As ugly is only skin deep ya just smoke off the bad stuff. Nothing like the smell of Napalm in the evening.

gt250 03-31-2007 06:59 PM

To bad I'm stuck on this plateform or probally take you up on that offer y block. We call them feeder kings here. They get 40-50# here, Im sure there some hoggs out there though.

arctic y block 03-31-2007 07:33 PM

They are pretty big here. Generaly out weigh the Reds. Seldom get one in the Summer or Fall. Even Comercial Fishing.

gt250 03-31-2007 08:28 PM

The first one I caught I was halibut fishing.

WilliesSD250 03-31-2007 08:55 PM

Speaking of hunting, check out my gallery guys. Look in the truck album. Picture 12. After a few more shots, I whacked him across the muzzle. He didn't even flinch. I decided to run!!

WilliesSD250 03-31-2007 09:01 PM

Speaking of Winter Kings, I was on a charter....Clive's out of Deep Creek fishing with a buddy (Eric) We caught 2 of the white kings that day (middle of June last year) The lady that was fishing and my friend that was up from VA each had one. Talk about a happy boat captain. I hear IF you can find white king in the stores you'll pay plenty for it!!!

gt250 04-01-2007 04:47 AM

Cool pics willies, Last month I went over to a friends house and his truck had smudges all over it looked like a dog was jumping all over the outside of his truck, He said a moose was licking the salt off of his truck. Looks like that bull was doing the same thing to your truck.

mlb4966 04-06-2007 12:46 AM

Chris I got one were I was looking at a bull moose through the sunroof. Big SOB.

Man I guess I'm wierd but I rather have a CR Red than I White King. Maybe the King that I had was done wrong but it was dry.

gt250 04-06-2007 10:36 AM

The only way i've had them is fresh, never had one that was dry.