Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   Quick question about a distributor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/595183-quick-question-about-a-distributor.html)

oneminizut 03-25-2007 04:59 PM

Quick question about a distributor

I bought a used distributor off ebay the other day and the guy said it was a little "stiff" from sitting in his garage over the years. What type of oil/grease or whatever could I use to loosen it up?

MARTYSTOWRIG 03-25-2007 05:21 PM

Upper end or lower? Upper i would say die electric grease.
Lower? Any good engine assy lube or even work it under an oil bath [10/30]

Ford_Six 03-25-2007 05:22 PM

WD40 works decent in the top, just don't saturate it. A small spray, then work it around, give it more if it needs it, then let it dry for a while.
It's probably more that the advance mechanism is stiff, those tend to freeze up if it's sat for a long time. Not hard to fix for free.

oneminizut 03-25-2007 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
WD40 works decent in the top, just don't saturate it. A small spray, then work it around, give it more if it needs it, then let it dry for a while.
It's probably more that the advance mechanism is stiff, those tend to freeze up if it's sat for a long time. Not hard to fix for free.

Jared, They are sending my parts out on Monday from Maryland. Do you think you might be able to help? I mean... I might be able to get the distributor in 0-10 from TDC by myself and the module is cake. It's just timing I'm worried about. I don't have a light and I've never done it right. (Last time I broke three rotors)

JR182PILOT 03-25-2007 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by oneminizut
Jared, They are sending my parts out on Monday from Maryland. Do you think you might be able to help? I mean... I might be able to get the distributor in 0-10 from TDC by myself and the module is cake. It's just timing I'm worried about. I don't have a light and I've never done it right. (Last time I broke three rotors)

oneminizut, if Jared can't get to it, I can. Now that I have my truck back. When are the parts getting to you?

Have timing light will travel.

oneminizut 03-25-2007 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
oneminizut, if Jared can't get to it, I can. Now that I have my truck back. When are the parts getting to you?

Have timing light will travel.

Pilot, isn't it your daughter that needs help with math? I forgot. Anyways, How about a little trade in help for help? Parts might take a week but if you need help sooner we can set something up.

JR182PILOT 03-25-2007 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by oneminizut
Pilot, isn't it your daughter that needs help with math? I forgot. Anyways, How about a little trade in help for help? Parts might take a week but if you need help sooner we can set something up.

Works for me....Will work something out.:-X22 Doing your truck would be easier that helping with her math.:-X21 Please send me a PM with address, phone#, year and engine info. I have manuals.....