Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   Skagit Speedway (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/594815-skagit-speedway.html)

kwob 03-24-2007 04:36 PM

Skagit Speedway

Was wondering if any of ya'all ever get to the Skagit Speedway? I usually try and get over there a couple times or more every summer for the races.

MARTYSTOWRIG 03-24-2007 04:41 PM

:-drink I have never been there.

But im in
Arlington and am up for a day trip.

kwob 03-24-2007 04:45 PM

It's a blast if ya like dirt tracks. Next time I head over that way I'll let ya know

Placermike 03-24-2007 07:14 PM

Nothing Wrong with Dirt Tracks

Originally Posted by kwob
It's a blast if ya like dirt tracks. Next time I head over that way I'll let ya know

NASCAR Legends, Harry Gant and Dale Earnhart got their start at a dirt track in Hickory,NC. Dale got his first car (That ugly looking Wrangler Oldsmobile) from Harry. Guess thats where they learned to bump on the track.:-D

kwob 03-25-2007 09:33 AM

They sure did... Sure wish NASCAR was like it was 15-20 years ago. I'm not sure what to think about it anymore. It's almost like they are alienating thier old fan base...but that's just my opinion.

Placermike 03-25-2007 10:08 AM

They sure did... Sure wish NASCAR was like it was 15-20 years ago. I'm not sure what to think about it anymore. It's almost like they are alienating thier old fan base...but that's just my opinion.

NASCAR is just expanding. For years it was pretty much considered a southern sport, but with the addition of all the new tracks it does give fans across the country a better chance to attend. I did hate when they closed North Wilkesboro...it was one of the charter tracks, and closet to where I lived.

kwob 03-25-2007 12:41 PM

Yeah, it is expanding, and expanding a little too much the way I look at it.

NASCAR has lost touch with the people that made the sport. The middle class working kind of guy that made the sport is being turned off by the corporate glitz and glamore.

The ticket prices are outrageous, however that is only the "tip of the iceberg"! Hotels and campgrounds gouge the race fans, gasoline costs are up and the list goes on and on. The $100 dollar ticket is the norm not the exception. It can easily cost $500 to $1000 dollars per person to attend a race weekend.

Then you have all of the "new" tracks spread all over the country, every one is the same old formula, boreing 1.5 mile "cookie cutters" they all look like Charlotte. Return to racing at the great old tracks at North Wilkesboro, Darlington and others would spark interest, but the Corporate sponsors don't like those places since their marketing departments feel the demographics are wrong!

I don't know...it's just changed a bit too much for my tastes.

arctic y block 03-26-2007 06:08 PM

Check out the Elma fair grounds track most every weekend in the summer. Awesome! And it's cheap. Bring yer ear plugs. It's dirt track Heaven. Although some of the drivers are stuck on themselves. But most will let ya check out there rides and shoot the breeze with ya.

Placermike 03-26-2007 06:53 PM

Yeah, it is expanding, and expanding a little too much the way I look at it.

NASCAR has lost touch with the people that made the sport. The middle class working kind of guy that made the sport is being turned off by the corporate glitz and glamore.

The ticket prices are outrageous, however that is only the "tip of the iceberg"! Hotels and campgrounds gouge the race fans, gasoline costs are up and the list goes on and on. The $100 dollar ticket is the norm not the exception. It can easily cost $500 to $1000 dollars per person to attend a race weekend.

Then you have all of the "new" tracks spread all over the country, every one is the same old formula, boreing 1.5 mile "cookie cutters" they all look like Charlotte. Return to racing at the great old tracks at North Wilkesboro, Darlington and others would spark interest, but the Corporate sponsors don't like those places since their marketing departments feel the demographics are wrong!

I don't know...it's just changed a bit too much for my tastes.

They are expanding too fast, and the schedule is becomming hectic. That was a reason that Harry Gant decided to retire, and the reason that Mark Martin wants to do a partial schedule. He wants to do it this year even though he is the points leader.

hackwillie 03-26-2007 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block
Check out the Elma fair grounds track most every weekend in the summer. Awesome! And it's cheap. Bring yer ear plugs. It's dirt track Heaven. Although some of the drivers are stuck on themselves. But most will let ya check out there rides and shoot the breeze with ya.

That's where I go to watch em too. Grew up about 15 minutes from that track. Sure hope the Outlaws come back this year. The NW Sprint tout is fun to watch too.

hackwillie 03-26-2007 09:48 PM

Hey, just checked ant the World of Outlaws is coming to Elma. Here is a link to the Elma Fairgrounds track schedule. The Outlaws are worth the trip if any of you have never watched them before. http://www.brownfieldent.com/GHR/gra...y_schedule.htm

arctic y block 03-26-2007 10:18 PM

Why go if the Outlaws arn't there. I did see the Lepenzoner Stallions preform there. Awsome show. The Fairs I've been to there are a blast with the two grandkids we are raising.

Placermike 03-26-2007 11:17 PM

[QUOTE=hackwillie]Hey, just checked ant the World of Outlaws is coming to Elma. Here is a link to the Elma Fairgrounds track schedule. The Outlaws are worth the trip if any of you have never watched them before. http://www.brownfieldent.com/GHR/grays_harbor_raceway_schedule.htm[/QUOTE]

Maybe we can try and schedule a G2G that coincides?

MARTYSTOWRIG 03-27-2007 08:12 PM

sounds like Hackwillie's deal

e9tac 03-27-2007 09:57 PM

Are you guys up to some 1320 racing? Maybe a GTG of some sorts...July 14 is the all Ford Drags at Bremerton Raceway.