Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Battery light flicker (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/576752-battery-light-flicker.html)

2danglong 02-05-2007 09:47 PM

Battery light flicker

came on a month ago, had batts tested replaced a bad one, now it flickers again, not very often, just enough to make you think.

checked the alternator and it looked full...

any ideas ?

johnnysF350 02-06-2007 10:25 AM

Alternator is going bad. Alot of times if the regulator is borderline the light will flicker.

jim henderson 02-06-2007 11:22 AM

Yeah a flakey alternator probably or lord help you a loose connection somewhere. Alternators will start to get intermittant when the brushes or regulator are on their way out. A low voltage output will cause the light to flicker. An output that is jumping around will also cause the light to flicker.

What do you mean the alternator looks full?? Did you measure voltage at the battery? Was it something like 14volts to maybe 18? What is full?

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

2danglong 02-06-2007 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jim henderson

What do you mean the alternator looks full??

Jim Henderson

just a joke. do these alternators have brushes that can be changed like in the olden days ?

Or does this mean a new alternator. Either one should be a simple job, but brushes would be cheaper.

jim henderson 02-06-2007 03:59 PM

I have never had an American made alternator go out on me so I never had to rebuild one except in class. Could be luck, or we know how to build them bullet proof. Had plenty of practice rebuilding Japanese alternators, jeez blow out on schedule it seems.

I DO NOT KNOW if modern alternators have brushes. So it will be up to you to findout or for someone who does know to step in.

If it is brushes, it should be a simple job to replace them, and I would replace the bearings and touch up the commutator while I was at it. For a quick and dirty commutator cleanup, just wrap a piece of say 400 or finer sand paper around it and twist till it is clean.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

redford 02-06-2007 04:11 PM

I more suspect that a diode in the alternator has been toasted. Alternators have full wave bridge rectifiers, which are basically 4 diodes that convert AC to DC. It is common to have one burn out, especially if you have recently had battery problems. The alternator will still work with three diodes, just not at full capacity, plus you might get some "hum" type interference in your radio. It will change pitch with engine speed.

I can't say if the alternators are servicable. these days people just yank them and get a rebuilt. It isn't like my old '56 F-100, where you actually serviced the generator.

2danglong 05-19-2007 01:00 AM

That's a lot of help Red. 'ppreciate it.

I do have a hum, and I've been wondering about it.

We have a shop here that will reman and warrenty for $ 125.00 they're pretty good, I've heard.

blackhat620 05-19-2007 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2danglong
came on a month ago, had batts tested replaced a bad one, now it flickers again, not very often, just enough to make you think.
checked the alternator and it looked full...
any ideas ?

With the parallel dual battery setup in these trucks, when one battery starts to go, you must replace both batteries at the same time. If you do not the old battery will quickly shorten the life of the new battery.

Your alternator may be giving you a problem also.

redford 05-19-2007 09:21 AM

Oh....an alternator has 6 diodes, not 4.

2012 SD Snowbuster 05-19-2007 12:06 PM

I have noticed my batt. light is on the whole time my truck is cranking, Is this normal? I dont want to sound like a dope but .... I never noticed this before??

Clint40 05-19-2007 12:56 PM

NEVER REPLACE ONE BATTERY, ALWAYS DO BOTH AT ONE TIME. Thats your problem, shouldnt be the alternator.

redford 05-19-2007 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 99 SD Snowbuster
I have noticed my batt. light is on the whole time my truck is cranking, Is this normal? I dont want to sound like a dope but .... I never noticed this before??

Yes, that is normal. Your alternator isn't spinning fast enough to turn the light out when you are crankingthe engine over.

2012 SD Snowbuster 05-19-2007 01:56 PM

Thanks for the info Redford! I sometimes dont ask questions for fear of getting bashed to death by the hardcore diesel guys. I'm still getting used to all the extra stuff the 04 has. My 99 was a v-10 and didnt have all the lights and such. The 6.0 is beast thats sure, thanks again.

Roadglide Charley 03-01-2011 05:23 PM

04 6.0 powerstroke
new batteries and new altenator
Next place to check for intermittent battery light?
Just got this truck and am learning the ropes on this PSD

Thanks for the help

tigman_tim 03-02-2011 10:33 AM

I had a similar issue. Turn out to be the battery voltage sense wire.