Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   code P1451 (EVAP Emission Control System) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/571930-code-p1451-evap-emission-control-system.html)

lgeiger13 01-24-2007 06:02 AM

code P1451 (EVAP Emission Control System)

Just bought a 1999 F150 XLT, 4.6 engine, 100,000 miles.

I'm getting a code P1451 (EVAP Emission Control System).

To start the troubleshooting, I was thinking it would need a new gas cap but,
no luck, the light came back on. Can anyone help with this code?

Thanks .

LxMan1 01-24-2007 06:27 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I would suspect maybe a bad vent solenoid back by the tank.

projectSHO89 01-24-2007 08:04 AM

The gas cap has nothing to do with this fault code.

You have an electrical circuit fault, very possibly the aforementioned vent solenoid. Check the solenoid's coil for the correct resistance value before condemning.

Steve

fastford59 01-26-2007 07:38 AM

Are there any bolts broken out of your exhaust manifolds ?

projectSHO89 01-26-2007 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by fastford59
Are there any bolts broken out of your exhaust manifolds ?

What the heck does that have to do with an electrical fault code in the evap emissions subsystem?

Steve

fastford59 01-29-2007 01:15 PM

because if the bolts in the manifold are gone,the computer compensates by causing a rich mixture causing this code.(I think this code is per my scanner manual,I'll go back and recheck to make sure)I had a similar situation on my '97 F150...

LxMan1 01-30-2007 06:54 AM

An exhaust leak wouldn't effect the gas tank vent valve solenoid.

projectSHO89 01-30-2007 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by fastford59
because if the bolts in the manifold are gone,the computer compensates by causing a rich mixture causing this code.(I think this code is per my scanner manual,I'll go back and recheck to make sure)I had a similar situation on my '97 F150...

Completely unrelated unless, by sheer coincidence, the exhaust failure damaged the wiring specific to the vent solenoid.....pretty long odds on that. You likely had a different code and set of circumstances.

The exhaust misture also has nothing to do with the electrical circuit for the canister vent solenoid. This is a purely electrical problem at this point, at least until the source of the electrical fault is identified.

Steve

Gevans17 02-24-2007 08:44 PM

P1451 EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

lgeiger13 07-25-2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by LxMan1
Welcome to the forum.

I would suspect maybe a bad vent solenoid back by the tank.

Ok, over the weekend I was tring to work on this problem. I did buy a new Vent solenoid for the EVAP canister and reset the CPU. The light stayed off for about 5mile but as soon as I turned the truck off and then back on the light came back on..
Can it be the canister itself and can I clean it or fix it?

projectSHO89 07-25-2007 05:45 PM

Did anyone mention this is an ELECTRICAL fault?

Steve

BURNSTOUGHFORD 06-05-2008 12:47 AM

Sorry for bringing up such an old post... I have had this code for several months, i clear it every time i get into the truck and the light goes away untill the next time i start it....Is there any common problem with these or are they pretty hit and miss...

Burns

lgeiger13 06-05-2008 04:43 AM

help you

Hey that is cool. It was (EVAP Control System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction). The problem was a bad wire that came off the vent solenoid. If you go to the back of the truck and look under the bed between the frame right if front is the spare tire you should see the EVAP canister. On top was the vent solenoid for the canister. If you check the wires that go from the solenoid to the wire harness one of them may be cracked, or split. Yes it was that easy but, I did find that after I got a new solenoid and canister... good luck...

w4dd 07-04-2008 09:58 PM

lgeiger13 from the previous post was right on !.

I had a check engine light appear on my 2000 Ford Ranger (142K miles). Disconnecting the battery did not clear it. Both Autozone and Midas read the code (P1451) and said it was the Gas Cap. Went to the Ford garage to get an original ($25) but the code did not clear. Did some searching on the net and ran across the lgeiger13 post. Slid under the truck and just in from of the spare tire is the canister and on the front top side of that is the solenoid. Traced the wires back a few inches across the top of the canister and it was immediately obvious they were damaged. Apparently these wires rub on the bracket for the canister and it had worn through the protective tubing and broken the wires in serveral places. Poor design. Used a few inches of wire, solder, some heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, and "split loom tubing (3/8 inch I think). That did the trick. I also re-routed the wires away from the bracket. My guess is just about every Ranger will have this problom eventually.

Thanks for the post lgeiger13.

finally free 04-23-2009 03:22 PM

i have a 1998 ranger that gets terrible gas milage but anyways i found ' thanks to you guys' my cables were damaged too just above the shock rear drivers side fixing it tomorow will let you know if it clears my p1451 code that ive had for 1 year thanks again