Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1947 and Older Ford Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum42/)
-   -   1940 Ford frame (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/56989-1940-ford-frame.html)

DightonFord 03-13-2002 07:54 PM

1940 Ford frame

Hi_Tech_ Red_neck 08-09-2002 02:17 PM

1940 Ford frame

Here is my question...

Someone gave me a 1940 Ford frame, I think he said it was from a 4 door or a coupe. My question is, can I get a truck on that frame. I thought they were all the same frame, but someone told me they wern't. I was also wondering where I could find a cab, and all the other little parts to make it go.. one more thing, about the transmision, what can it bolt up to?

thanks for any help

Sean

Carlene 08-11-2002 09:47 PM

1940 Ford frame

Sean - since no one else has responded yet, maybe I can help you out a little.

As for the frame, I don't know if a truck will fit on a car frame, but I do have a diagram of a frame in my gallery (just click the little picture of my truck on the left). Ours is an original 1941 truck (F100) frame which is the same as a 1940 so you should be able to measure your's to see if the measurements match up.

As for the individual parts, I think you would be better off searching for a whole truck rather than to try and put one together piece-by-piece. The original parts are hard to find and the aftermarket parts aren't that cheap.

As for the tranny, if you're using a modern engine, use a modern tranny - same with the rear, axle, etc.

Carlene

Hi_Tech_ Red_neck 08-11-2002 11:20 PM

1940 Ford frame

Thanks for the help.... It seems to match right up, I think things will work out just right.. Did you guys have to do alot of fab work for the front and rear? Is their much to it? I am looking at getting the frame built, and not worry to much about anything else right now.. I was going to build a tank for it, but wasn't sure of what I have to work with ( clearance for the bed of the truck ) My goal is to have it done by the time I get married ( not real soon ) :)

Thanks again

Sean

staffordra 08-12-2002 02:13 AM

1940 Ford frame

horseheavenbob

The passenger frame will work for a 1/2-ton pickup, the only difference being the body brackets that are riveted on. These frames are the same from 1935 to 1940. I have a '35, '36 and '37 pickup, and with these all you have to do to use a passenger frame under a pickup is delete the outrigger ass. body brackets -- the naked frame is correct for the pickups. I'm fairly certain it's the same situation on the '40 (I used to own a '40 sedan delivery).

Hope that helps.

norsman1custom 08-27-2002 11:57 AM

1940 Ford frame

hi hi teck i got evry thing u need i got the hole truck im parting out soo give me a call 602 692 1674

FortyFords 08-28-2002 09:21 PM

1940 Ford frame

Hi tech ,i own 2 coupes all street rods.

I built these from the ground up all ford drive train.

a few pointers on forty frames,watch out for frame twist,and cracks and rust through at the point the frame kicks up before the rearaxle

Rich