Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Mirror disassembly for LED mod (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/568066-mirror-disassembly-for-led-mod.html)

RAMPAGE_F350 01-13-2007 11:45 PM

Mirror disassembly for LED mod

Does anyone know how to remove the big mirror out of the telescopic housing? I need to fish the LED wire thru the arm. FYI, I have cockpit adjustable mirrors.

Uzumati 01-14-2007 08:29 AM

BFH...............Na just kidding

Put mirrow in full down position and pul down from top.........sending you an email with pics I know how you alltel guys are. LOL

powrstrkn' 01-14-2007 10:01 AM

Alan,
Any way you could post a link to those pics for the rest of us to see?

Uzumati 01-14-2007 01:33 PM

Steve, PM me your email address and i can send it to you.

RAMPAGE_F350 01-14-2007 03:29 PM

Here are some pics.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=138941&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=138942&.jpg

JPLTrucking 01-14-2007 03:31 PM

I'm gonna be doing those lights too. How bad was the install?????

RAMPAGE_F350 01-14-2007 03:40 PM

Not bad...after I figuired out how to route the wires thru the arm of the mirror. I was afraid of breaking the mirror so I left it in. It would definately have helped if I took the mirror out. PM amiller93 for the mirror removal process.

Thanks Alan for the PM, I just felt I would break the mirror tring to pull it out.

powrstrkn' 01-14-2007 03:56 PM

Alan you have a pm

JPLTrucking 01-14-2007 07:37 PM

Rampage, once the wires are thru the mirror, where do you run the wires to get the power?

RAMPAGE_F350 01-14-2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JPLTrucking
Rampage, once the wires are thru the mirror, where do you run the wires to get the power?

I got this is from ryaneverk2:

Here is where to get the lights for the mirrors:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...&searchbtn.y=18

The lights mount on the mirrors by removing a little backing on the light, and then sticking them to the mirrors. The lights flex so you can shape them to the mirror curve, and they stick REAL well, so be sure and get them right the first time.

On mine, I drilled a tiny hole under the light in the mirror housing to route the wire through. I had to take the mirrors off and pop the actual mirror off, and then there were a few bolts to remove to open up the mirror housing. I routed the wire through there and through one of the arms on the mirror using a coat hanger. Once it's through there, you just drop it down through the door, and fish it through the rubber elbow thing where the rest of the wires run from the door to the cab.

For the running light blinker thing, you'll need a little converter unit. Here's the one I used:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...ailer+converter

For that unit, whatever you run the outputs to will act as turn signals. So you'll run the outputs of the unit to the mirror lights, and to the dually fender lights (and whatever else you want on that circuit). It will have them serve as markers as well as turn signals. You have to take feeds from the front turn signals and run them to the Left and Right inputs on the unit. The reason you need to use the front signals is that the rears will be activated by the brake pedal, as well, and we don't want the unit to have our fender and mirrors lights blink when we press the brakes. The front signals are just turn signals, and not brakes at all, so gotta take the feed from them. The other input on the unit is the "brake" input, and for this one you take a feed from the taillight circuit and run it to this input. This will keep the lights on as markers. Without this feed, the fender markers and mirror lights will only illuminate with the blinkers, and will not act as running lights, as well.

The result is that when your parking lights are OFF, and you put on your blinker, the front and rear signals, and mirror and fender lights, will all blink in unison. When your lights are ON, and you put the blinker on, the fender and mirror lights (whatever you run the outputs of the converter unit to) will blink Opposite of the front/rear signals. Oh, and the reason for the converter unit is that the fender and mirrors lights are just single brightness lights, like the cab lights. They're not like the fronts and rears which have one brightness for lights, and another for brakes or blinkers. The converter will have them be ON with markers, and then blink Off/On/Off/On w/ the blinkers... and then remain on again when you turn the blinker off (or remain off if your lights are not on). So, it gets the single function lights to serve as dual-function lights.

The hardest part of both of these is just all the wiring. The mirror lights are tricky because of routing the wires through the mirror. The fender light blinkers are just tough because it is a lot of wiring going from the front signals to wherever you choose to mount the unit (it mounts w/ the 3M super-sticky tape on its backside, just like the mirror lights), and then from the unit to the fender lights and mirror lights. Thankfully, there are plenty of places for zip-ties along the frame rails, and across the backside behind the spare tire and such.

Anyway, that's a fairly good rundown of each job. Let me know if you come up w/ any questions as you're reading through it. It took me quite a bit of back and forth PM'ing w/ the fella at TDS before I finally understood how it all worked. I'm sure glad I did these mods, though... they are two of my favorite mods for the appearance and functionality of the truck. Really gets folks' attention when you put the blinker on... and the mirrors are super visible, now. :-X03 :-X06

ryaneverk2 01-15-2007 04:54 AM

Hey, that's copyrighted material there, bud. :-X03 :-missingt Just kidding. :-X10

Looks good, Chris... I got back to your PM, btw, and sorry again for the delay. Let's see some night shots as soon as you get the chance: some closeups and some overall shots of the truck, front, rear, side, etc. :-X06 :-X06

I see you mounted yours a bit higher on the mirror than I did mine. Did you have any trouble drilling a hole through those chrome covers?

Oh, and how about the blinker circuit; did you get that done as well? :)

indebt 01-15-2007 08:10 AM

this is alot like when I use to modify my rice burner with side markers. When I did it all I did was run the leads to the front turn signals also and running them the opposite, achieving the same thing without buying the extra deal you did, by wiring to the running light they served as running side markers, and then running the other lead to the blinker they would blink opposite of the stock turn signals, they would get ground when blinkers were on and in turn blink opposite

2002f2507.3LPS 01-15-2007 09:23 AM

where did you get those circular merrors?

JPLTrucking 01-15-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by indebt
this is alot like when I use to modify my rice burner with side markers. When I did it all I did was run the leads to the front turn signals also and running them the opposite, achieving the same thing without buying the extra deal you did, by wiring to the running light they served as running side markers, and then running the other lead to the blinker they would blink opposite of the stock turn signals, they would get ground when blinkers were on and in turn blink opposite

I might have to try that. Wiring sounds easier, even though they blink opposite.

ryaneverk2 01-16-2007 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
Looks good, Chris... I got back to your PM, btw, and sorry again for the delay. Let's see some night shots as soon as you get the chance: some closeups and some overall shots of the truck, front, rear, side, etc. :-X06 :-X06

I see you mounted yours a bit higher on the mirror than I did mine. Did you have any trouble drilling a hole through those chrome covers?

Oh, and how about the blinker circuit; did you get that done as well? :)

Any updates on this stuff, Chris? :-X06