Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canadian National Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum164/)
-   -   Boycotting Mexico (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/566854-boycotting-mexico.html)

Mil1ion 01-10-2007 07:39 PM

Boycotting Mexico

So with all the murders and the lacky police,I say... Stay away from Mexico and e-mail their government and tell them you refuse to visit such a corrupted place.

Fomoko1 01-10-2007 09:22 PM

That`s what I was thinking after seeing tonite`s news. :mad:
Good thing I`m not wanting to going there anyways.....

taisa899 01-10-2007 09:27 PM

never been there and don't want to go there!:mad:

Jim

loudfords 01-11-2007 11:26 AM

Unfortunately my inlaws are in Mexico for 2 weeks. :(

lockups 01-12-2007 08:59 PM

So if you were to walk around in some of the scumiest area's here in Canada, looking like a tourist with a pocket full of money you wouldnt expect trouble?

FirstTry 01-13-2007 11:54 AM

uuuuuggghhh, going for a week in march...........im gonna styay on the golf course, no walking

Duncan10 01-13-2007 01:46 PM

Wish I was going back this year just short on cash. You must remember it is not Canada and you are a guest in their country. I am not condoning what has happened but you are not in Canada. Treat people as you would like to be treated.

Mil1ion 01-13-2007 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lockups
So if you were to walk around in some of the scumiest area's here in Canada, looking like a tourist with a pocket full of money you wouldnt expect trouble?

Please explain.

This thread was about visiting mexico where Canadians are being murdered and the Police are corrupted and are not investigating or making false statements to shut poeple up.

What does this have to do with a scummy place in Canada

Mil1ion 01-13-2007 05:41 PM

Rethink Mexico as travel destination
Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report typo or correction
Email the author Tag and save

January 12, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autopsy set for man killed in Mexico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan. 11.

It's about time Canadians re-evaluate Mexico as a travel destination. The Ianeiro and DePrisco tragedies highlight the growing insecurity in Mexico, fuelled by a rampant and violent drug war.

Local police in many jurisdictions have been plagued by underfunding, intimidation, murder, and corruption. In the Domenic and Nancy Ianeiro case, police blamed two Canadian "soccer moms," while in the Adam DePrisco case it was immediately ruled a hit-and-run. These immediate and rushed declarations are not coincidental, but reflect a growing trend of police mismanagement and incompetence.

Mexican police are not adequately trained, funded or have the resolve to tactfully conduct murder investigations. Furthermore, there is a growing climate of fear amongst Mexican police and politicians. Resort towns like Acapulco have been especially hard hit with Baghdad-like violence, political assassinations, police killings and beheadings. All the while the Mexican government maintains itself as a "safe" travel destination.

Mexico is caught in a tricky web of political, economic and societal problems.It is governed by a newly-elected, fragile and contested government. Meanwhile cartels are stepping up their violent war to control lucrative drug routes.

All this is exacerbated by abject poverty and deep class divisions. Mexico does not have the wherewithal to guarantee security to its own citizens, let alone foreigners.

I urge the Department of Foreign Affairs to issue a travel advisory immediately, before more Canadians are hurt or killed in an increasingly violent and unstable country.

Daniel Tate, Thornhill

FirstTry 01-13-2007 05:45 PM

what part of mexico did this happen in? i havn't watched the news for a while now...

seventyseven250 01-13-2007 05:53 PM

I think you have to treat Mexico like any other poor country and take appropriate precautions. You can't expect the same level of policing or government service as you could in Canada.

If that make a person uncomfortable, then they should avoid those travel destinations.

Myself, I won't be striking Mexico off my list.

Fullcrew7.3 01-13-2007 08:00 PM

Hmmm, I don't think I'll go there. I probably won't have to. Maple Leaf has a large pork facility here in Brandon and is bringing mexican workers here. Stupid locals don't want to get they're hands dirty.

Stormin' Norman 02-27-2007 10:15 AM

Boycotting won't work

I lived in Guadalajara for almost 5 years. You've all got good reason to be skeptic. My wife is from Monterrey, MX, up near Laredo, TX. You feel like you're in a mix of Chicago (heavy industrial/commercial city), ultramodern, until you get in the 'burbs. But you feel safe in Monterrey.

Guad is an entirely different case, as are the Border towns and Mexico City. But there's a lot more to enjoy in Mexico than the beaches. My next trip, I'm not taking a thing except my toothbrush, my glasses and my passport. I'll go to the capital of Guanacuato State, also called Guanacuato, rent a bed and breakfast, and a car (I have a Mexican Driver's license). The B&B costs about $50 for 3 days/2 nights. 30 minutes away is the Shoe and Leather Industry of the world, with every major brand offering their wares at their 'farmers' market-like' kiosks. It takes about 3 days to see half of them! Buy it all, and ship it back. What's the duty on Rockports for $10.00? Samsonite luggage from the factory, at 15 percent retail or less? That's in Leon, Guanacuato.

But the treat is strolling through Cortez's original town, the capital. The streets are not for cars. Its all those little 3-person wide 'avenidas'. You take your car through the few vehicle streets, in the original escape routes that Cortez built. You go to the main plaza, and order a cold beer, tell the waiter you're a Canadian, and watch the food he brings (free!). If you go in October, you have to book in January - Its the International Latin American Film Festival. But any other time, it is awesome!

About an hour south of Guad, there's a small Artist town, called Tonala. The best pottery, glass and metal artisans in Mexico have their studios there. We bought a 200 piece, hand made, hand painted and glazed dinnerware set for 2,200 pesos ($300 CDN). I saw some boutique here selling one plate for $22.00! From the same guy!

We have great friends and family in Mexico, and you really just need to leave the tourist traps aside, and see how warm and genuine Mexicans are. Don't argue with authourities, pay the bribes and move on. Or take a Mexican Madre along when you have to deal with an authourity. It is a matriarchal society, and the ladies can move mountains down there! You want to get her ticked off enough about the issue to go to bat for you, but after that shut up! She'll get it done! The men always defer to angry, PMS'd matron.http://campaigns.ford-trucks.net/for...ons/icon10.gif