Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2000 F-250 7.3 L Transmission Concern (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/565804-2000-f-250-7-3-l-transmission-concern.html)

driller2948 01-08-2007 08:47 AM

2000 F-250 7.3 L Transmission Concern

Visiting family in Washington State this July 2007. Texas to Washington. My concern is the miles on my original transmission 150,000. As I stated 2000 F-250 7.3 L R4100 Automatic 4X4 will be pulling 10,000 lb Pilgrim 5’er. I bought this truck brand new 10,000 miles into the truck switched to 15W 40 synthetic engine oil at 20,000 switched to synthetic transmission fluid and bypass 2 micron spin off filter at 50,000 switched everything over to synthetic. I manage an environmental drilling company and maintain a fleet of drilling rigs and a fleet of super duty Ford medium duty trucks. 97 F-350’s all have E4OD transmissions all had to be rebuild between 40,000 – 50,000 after installation of the bypass filters I now have just over 200,000 miles on each of these trucks with no problems. I also have two 2003 F-450’s with the torque shift after 80,000 miles never had a problem with the transmission, wish I could say these trucks have been trouble free but actually they have been quite the disappointment! These truck have a Ford designed cartridge filter not the best design but adequate. I’m not a salesman not attempting to sell anything!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Am I just one of the lucky ones or do a lot of you have this many miles on your automatics? Should I be concerned? I know when a tranny goes sometimes it give a little warning and sometimes no warning at all!

<o:p></o:p>

Very Concerned

Robert F.

redford 01-08-2007 09:31 AM

:-X25 Welcome to FTE! :-X25

I just traded a 1995 F-150 with 220k miles on it, no major transmission trouble at all. At 190k I towed a trailer (about 2500 pounds) from Washinton State to Indiana without a concern (except for the wind in So. Dakota).

Get an AAA card, don't worry about your transmission and have fun on the road trip!

powerg 01-08-2007 10:24 AM

In general, I think 150,000 miles on that transmission is pretty good if you have been doing a lot of pulling with it. They can last longer, but if they have been worked hard, they obovioulsy will not last as long.

I have a 2001 F-250 7.3L. It has a 121,000 miles on it. It just had the transmission rebuilt 2 weeks ago. I put in a BTS transmission. I had the normal failures with my transmission. There is a snap ring inside that is notorious for popping off. This pretty well ate up the inside of my transmission. The pump was also leaking inside the transmission. I limped in to BTS and Brian rebuilt my tranny. He offers a lifetime warranty. It will be a little bit of a drive for you, but if you end up needing a tranny, BTS is one of the best out there. His website is brianstruckshop.com. It is in the middle of nowhere in Northwest Arkansas, but he is good and has a great reputation. I would also suggest going with a bigger tranny cooler. I went with the 6.0L cooler. Driving unloaded, my tranny temps stayed at 110 degrees (This is winter driving though).

You might want to call Brian and get his input. He rebuilds them everyday. Good luck with your decision.

driller2948 08-27-2011 09:54 PM

Not much of a drive I have a second house on Lake Conway in Mayflower AR. Only a 3 hr drive from there!

clem1226 08-27-2011 10:30 PM

WOW!!!

I think you just set a record Driller....you just just looked up and responded to a post you started almost 5 years ago, or maybe your just a slow typer :)

Brians truck shop AKA BTS is still good advice and his reputation has only continued to grow. One of the best if not the best on the business.

driller2948 09-02-2011 11:04 AM

Clem1226 Funny as heck hu!

bdivine32 09-03-2011 10:38 AM

Ford Trannys

Funny, I noticed that 2007 message too... Slow thread?! LOL But I was gonna put a post up about my tranny and some hints or tricks. I have a 99 F350 CC 4x4 and pull my 26 ft camper (not sure the total loaded weight) 7-8K I am sure. Welll I pull my camper every once in a while. I live in Estern Idaho and we have lots ov mountain passes around. The Pickup has about 119K on it and I am pretty sure the tranny has never been rebuilt. It has that 4l60r or whatever that is (cant remember. E4OD replacment). But I know the tranny is starting to have problems. The first time I Drained and flushed it, it was burnt and had some crap around the magnets. Cleaned it all up, filled her up and added some Lucas Tranny helper.everything feels good and tight, but I notice tranny slipping when I get to the campsite and am trying to manuver the trailer where we want it, I have had to start putting it in 4x4 low to get it to crawl over lil hils, rocks, the typical things. I know I need a larger cooler for it, but what if anything can I do to the tranny to help it last until I can save the 3+grand to have it rebuit. I have the hypertech tuner, but didn't play with the shift points (was told thats a no no for that tranny). Is there anything I can replace inside without pulling the tranny to help it last through winter and maybe get a lil more gription?? I have NEVER liked automatics in pickups, but ya have to special order them now days with the manual!

ANY HELP would be applied!!!

bdivine32@yahoo.com

driller2948 09-04-2011 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by bdivine32 (Post 10769855)
Funny, I noticed that 2007 message too... Slow thread?! LOL But I was gonna put a post up about my tranny and some hints or tricks. I have a 99 F350 CC 4x4 and pull my 26 ft camper (not sure the total loaded weight) 7-8K I am sure. Welll I pull my camper every once in a while. I live in Estern Idaho and we have lots ov mountain passes around. The Pickup has about 119K on it and I am pretty sure the tranny has never been rebuilt. It has that 4l60r or whatever that is (cant remember. E4OD replacment). But I know the tranny is starting to have problems. The first time I Drained and flushed it, it was burnt and had some crap around the magnets. Cleaned it all up, filled her up and added some Lucas Tranny helper.everything feels good and tight, but I notice tranny slipping when I get to the campsite and am trying to manuver the trailer where we want it, I have had to start putting it in 4x4 low to get it to crawl over lil hils, rocks, the typical things. I know I need a larger cooler for it, but what if anything can I do to the tranny to help it last until I can save the 3+grand to have it rebuit. I have the hypertech tuner, but didn't play with the shift points (was told thats a no no for that tranny). Is there anything I can replace inside without pulling the tranny to help it last through winter and maybe get a lil more gription?? I have NEVER liked automatics in pickups, but ya have to special order them now days with the manual!

ANY HELP would be applied!!!

bdivine32@yahoo.com

I'm pasting a link to another site. This post should answer all your questions or alteast lead you in the right direction.
F-350 7.3L Transmission overheating - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

hotroddsl 09-04-2011 07:58 AM

It's the Rip VanWinkle thread award winner! Well Driller did your tranny ever make it to Washington? Or is the long reply because you have been waiting for AAA the last 5 years...the suspense had been killing me.......
Jim....& a new dog since you started and replied to this thread fat Monty}>

driller2948 09-04-2011 04:22 PM

hotroddsl

Yea I made it there and back no problems. I slept a lot since that trip as you can see from the post! Rest easy boy's & girsl!

Now at 300K looking like I will be needing to rebuild. When the tranny temp gets 190 - 200 fluid leaks thru the inspection plate covering the bottom of the flywheel. I beleive it's the front seal thats looks to be failing.

More than one way to re-open a thread!

hotroddsl 09-04-2011 05:54 PM

Glad to hear it! Some one had posted the other day how the trannys in super duties were known to be ^so unreliable I had to laugh as I've yet to get less than 250k out of one and I tow a good heavy load pretty often. At least make sure that pump seal crashes when your near Lead Hill ^so Brian can fix you up for the next 300k+ and have Cale tune you up while you wait;)
Jim;)...& fatter Monty}>

driller2948 09-05-2011 08:10 AM

hotroddsl
Along with a BTM & K&N air filter I have run a super chip tuner since the truck was new!

3 settings, 70hp tow safe, 90hp tow performance, up to 6000 lbs & 110hp no tow, with a code reader.

What am I missing out on with a custom tune from Brians?

hotroddsl 09-05-2011 11:51 AM

A grin the size of Texas! Cales tuning will easily double what that super chips tuner is putting out and you can switch with out stopping it's that noticeable a difference
Jim...& fat Monty}>