Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum173/)
-   -   6.4 Liter Performance Modifications (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/563215-6-4-liter-performance-modifications.html)

SpartanDieselTech 01-01-2007 02:12 AM

6.4 Liter Performance Modifications

I can happily inform the FTE crowd that LIPD performance recalibration and performance aftermarket components will be available at the same time or shortly thereafter the actual market release of the 6.4 :-D

A few sidenotes of information I would like to share for the purposes of information-

Mild to drastic engine control recalibrations will be available in similar caliber to what is available for the 6.0; however harsh race tuning (driven accordingly) will cause more frequent diesel particulate filter regeneration cycles and corresponding losses in fuel mileage.

We will have exhaust system components (EGR cooler/EGR System Deletes, replacement delete pipes for diesel oxidation catalyst, engine particulate filter, and resonator) available soon after the tuning is available; however, unlike the 6.0, no exhaust system modifications will function properly without recalibration due to the presence of multiple exhaust gas temperature thermocouples and exhaust pressure sensors used to monitor the EGR and exhaust emissions components.

Full tank-to-HPFP fuel systems, increased displacement high pressure fuel pumps, high pressure injection lines, and increased flow fuel injectors will be available within 2-3 months. High and Low Pressure turbocharger compressor wheels, along with modified low pressure turbocharger turbine housings will also be available within a similar time frame.

Engine shortblock internal components will likely be 4-6 months out due to low parts availability during vehicle debut, but I will hurry the development along as much as I can :-X03

It is my opinion that these vehicles will ultimately be mod-friendly, however modifications must be carried out in a comprehensive fashion, not piece-by-piece like can be gotten away with on the 6.0. I do believe that the 6.4 will be safer to modify at mild and moderate levels over the 6.0 due to a higher basic structural integrity of the control systems and engine hardware, and very satisfactory level of increased performance will be attainable without exhaust or hardware modifications; and by "very satisfactory", I mean a level beyond where the 6.0 is with tuning- in a safe manner.

Bob Ayers 01-01-2007 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
I can happily inform the FTE crowd that LIPD performance recalibration and performance aftermarket components will be available at the same time or shortly thereafter the actual market release of the 6.4 :-D

A few sidenotes of information I would like to share for the purposes of information-

Mild to drastic engine control recalibrations will be available in similar caliber to what is available for the 6.0; however harsh race tuning (driven accordingly) will cause more frequent diesel particulate filter regeneration cycles and corresponding losses in fuel mileage.

We will have exhaust system components (EGR cooler/EGR System Deletes, replacement delete pipes for diesel oxidation catalyst, engine particulate filter, and resonator) available soon after the tuning is available; however, unlike the 6.0, no exhaust system modifications will function properly without recalibration due to the presence of multiple exhaust gas temperature thermocouples and exhaust pressure sensors used to monitor the EGR and exhaust emissions components.

Full tank-to-HPFP fuel systems, increased displacement high pressure fuel pumps, high pressure injection lines, and increased flow fuel injectors will be available within 2-3 months. High and Low Pressure turbocharger compressor wheels, along with modified low pressure turbocharger turbine housings will also be available within a similar time frame.

Engine shortblock internal components will likely be 4-6 months out due to low parts availability during vehicle debut, but I will hurry the development along as much as I can :-X03

It is my opinion that these vehicles will ultimately be mod-friendly, however modifications must be carried out in a comprehensive fashion, not piece-by-piece like can be gotten away with on the 6.0. I do believe that the 6.4 will be safer to modify at mild and moderate levels over the 6.0 due to a higher basic structural integrity of the control systems and engine hardware, and very satisfactory level of increased performance will be attainable without exhaust or hardware modifications; and by "very satisfactory", I mean a level beyond where the 6.0 is with tuning- in a safe manner.

First, Happy New Year Matt!!

Now a question about your 6.4L mods. What do they do to Ford's warranty?

SuperDutyJ4500 01-01-2007 07:05 AM

All I can say is, as with current modified trucks...if Ford finds out..warranty is done. Im sure Ford wont budge on this issue.

The news sounds very promising though. I would be interested to find out more on how you can increase the power without exhaust and hardware mods...that sounds interesting. Simple chip maybe?

My biggest question would be this, I thought that if the truck sensed that the emissions stuff would be gone, the truck would throw codes and go into some sort of limp mode, and im guessing you have found some way around that?

Happy New Year!

SpartanDieselTech 01-01-2007 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SuperDutyJ4500
All I can say is, as with current modified trucks...if Ford finds out..warranty is done. Im sure Ford wont budge on this issue.

Ford has plenty of countermeasures in place for the 2008 trucks; even the actual flashing operation takes some tricks that were not neccessary for the 6.0. However, when all is said and done, the Xcal2 with our programs will be FAR more "stealth" than they ever have been. I can't go into the specifics but it will be totally impossible for a technician to recognize, and extrodinarily difficult even for field engineers. I realize there are some people who would likely object to that statement, but the simple matter of fact is that is how it has to be; and therefore will be. Bob is correct, if they DO see it, they aren't going to authorize a powertrain claim.

The news sounds very promising though. I would be interested to find out more on how you can increase the power without exhaust and hardware mods...that sounds interesting. Simple chip maybe?
A programmer is as far as 95% of the general "Mod-public" will choose to use on this truck, due to the extensive work required to go further. Exhaust will be mostly unneccessary at moderate power outputs; the EGT levels just arent dangerous due to the compound turbocharging. Believe it or not, mild to moderate tuning will actually assist in the passive regeneration cycle of the particulate filter by maintaining a higher temperature to some degree; but the heavily-smoking high-power calibrations are what must be used more sparingly with the part. filter still in place.

My biggest question would be this, I thought that if the truck sensed that the emissions stuff would be gone, the truck would throw codes and go into some sort of limp mode, and im guessing you have found some way around that?
This is why tuning is required to modify the exhaust; there is no if, ands, or buts about it. We will likely not even sell exhaust components without the purchase of a programmer because they are simply worthless and shouldn't even be considered for use without it.

Spartan Racing 01-01-2007 01:09 PM

Man you have given me renewed hope, and I'm glad I'm so close to NC.
All I can say is I'll be in touch as soon as I take delivery.

Bob Ayers 01-01-2007 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
Ford has plenty of countermeasures in place for the 2008 trucks; even the actual flashing operation takes some tricks that were not neccessary for the 6.0. However, when all is said and done, the Xcal2 with our programs will be FAR more "stealth" than they ever have been. I can't go into the specifics but it will be totally impossible for a technician to recognize, and extrodinarily difficult even for field engineers. I realize there are some people who would likely object to that statement, but the simple matter of fact is that is how it has to be; and therefore will be. Bob is correct, if they DO see it, they aren't going to authorize a powertrain claim.

Matt, don't under estimate what they (Ford) will be monitoring, and tracking with the new PCMs. If a person insists on doing performance mods while under warranty, they should have the funds to pay for repairs, if Ford does void the warranty!

Just my $0.02......

SuperDutyJ4500 01-01-2007 02:47 PM

Thank you for that response PSD...That explains a few of the questions I had. That gives me even more hope than I had before. I cant wait to see how this all works together. Thanks to you and your team for all of the hard work yall have done to get to this point.

Jocaren 01-01-2007 03:31 PM

Do you think that this 6.4 with mods will keep up with the competition? I hope they make this engine to be unstoppable and hopefully powerstroke will get its good name back

cmpd1781 01-01-2007 05:56 PM

What are the raw numbers for hp and tq on the 6.4L out-of-the-box?.......

Uzumati 01-01-2007 08:04 PM

350/650 was the last I heard

cmpd1781 01-01-2007 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by amiller93
350/650 was the last I heard

And y'all are planning to mod?..... :rolleyes:

Remember when about 185hp and 400lb/tq was the norm?........

Begs the question "how much is enough"....?.....

Oh well.....I can see it for those of you who race trucks.....but even towing stuff in the mountains should be no problem with those numbers......I do it OK with a stock 7.3L with 235hp and 500lb tq.

I think the numbers you quoted above are similar to the duramaxes......Good numbers anyway, and more than enough power for me..... ;)

duramaximizer 01-01-2007 09:56 PM

Good news for the ford guys. Hope to see some good stiff competition this next year. Congrats and good luck.

wiingnut 01-02-2007 03:52 AM

mods are are a big market. there is always someone out there looking for the BBD No matter how fast they are someone will want faster.

cmpd1781 01-02-2007 08:07 AM

wiingnut nailed it......

ballbandit 01-02-2007 09:50 AM

350/650 on the 250 and 350. The 450 and 550 are 325/600.