Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4L 3V spark plug change question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/561912-5-4l-3v-spark-plug-change-question.html)

CMOS 12-28-2006 02:03 PM

5.4L 3V spark plug change question

Hey Guys,

I'm about to change the plugs in the 04 FX4 (before they corrode into the heads :rolleyes:) but I'm seeing discreapncies in the torque spec for the plug threads.

One source, a Ford TSB on this site, states 25ft-lbs. Another "article" on this site (by "Dave West") states 13ft-lbs.

So, which is correct?

Thanks,
CMOS

Bob Jusnes 12-28-2006 05:39 PM

If the TSB is the one that covers how to remove broken plugs, etc, then I would follow that one.

ohboy44 12-28-2006 07:35 PM

25ft-lbs is correct for 5.4l 3v Do your self a favor and follow the TSB but turn them only 1/8 of a turn and let the penetrating oil sit at least 30 min. before taking the plugs out.

04 FX4 Lineman 12-28-2006 09:33 PM

Do yourself another favor and take it to the dealer and let them do it, if they break it they fix it!!!!!!!!

4DOORSR 12-28-2006 09:39 PM

Not if the truck is out of warranty.

CMOS 12-28-2006 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Do yourself another favor and take it to the dealer and let them do it, if they break it they fix it!!!!!!!!

My truck is still under warranty and no, FORD will not cover it. Since the truck is non-syptomatic - no remarkable problems, I will have to pay for the spark plug change to a tune of $450.

I spoke to my Service Advisor who has always been very helpful to me and he says it will not be covered under warranty since there is no problem as of now.

At $450 bucks I'll do it myself and feel better that it will be done right. I just hit 30Kmiles on my truck so I think I'll be able to get the plugs out by following the TSB precedure.

Need to get a torque wrench and the plugs so I can work on it this weekend. Any other recommendations?

CMOS

04 FX4 Lineman 12-28-2006 10:01 PM

You mean if you take your ford to a ford dealer and they break something they will not be liable to fix it??? I think not if so ford deserves to go broke!!!!!!!

04 FX4 Lineman 12-28-2006 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by CMOS
My truck is still under warranty and no, FORD will not cover it. Since the truck is non-syptomatic - no remarkable problems, I will have to pay for the spark plug change to a tune of $450.

I spoke to my Service Advisor who has always been very helpful to me and he says it will not be covered under warranty since there is no problem as of now.

At $450 bucks I'll do it myself and feel better that it will be done right. I just hit 30Kmiles on my truck so I think I'll be able to get the plugs out by following the TSB precedure.

Need to get a torque wrench and the plugs so I can work on it this weekend. Any other recommendations?

CMOS

Get 1 case of beer and plan to spend most of the day, don't take on any honey doos!!

RedandWhiteBrit 12-28-2006 10:20 PM

A better idea is to get the case of beer, relax by the pool, and forget the plug change at 30K. I have seen 100k plugs in many 5.4 motors with no problems. I would leave them alone.

FX4Jim3 12-29-2006 03:12 AM

If your going to keep it longer then 100,000 mi change them now to save yourself the problem's down the road. If not let some one worry about it. I changed mine at 47,000
and even after all the prep penatrating oil, motor warm, small twists back and forth and 35 years of working on cars and trucks I still broke 1 plug.
Even after all that I would still do it my self. If Ford breaks one and can't get it out with the extactor they will still charge you for pulling the head.

CMOS 12-29-2006 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
You mean if you take your ford to a ford dealer and they break something they will not be liable to fix it??? I think not if so ford deserves to go broke!!!!!!!

No, I mean they won't change the plugs for free under warranty. I'm assuming if they break a plug they'd pay for it but again, at $450 bucks, I'll take the risk and change them myself.

Here's another example of how an American auto manufacturer KNOWS a problem exhists and isn't doing s**t about it.

CMOS

CMOS 12-29-2006 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by FX4Jim3
If your going to keep it longer then 100,000 mi change them now to save yourself the problem's down the road. If not let some one worry about it. I changed mine at 47,000
and even after all the prep penatrating oil, motor warm, small twists back and forth and 35 years of working on cars and trucks I still broke 1 plug.
Even after all that I would still do it my self.

How did you extract the one broken plug?

CMOS

04 FX4 Lineman 12-29-2006 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by CMOS
No, I mean they won't change the plugs for free under warranty. I'm assuming if they break a plug they'd pay for it but again, at $450 bucks, I'll take the risk and change them myself.

Here's another example of how an American auto manufacturer KNOWS a problem exhists and isn't doing s**t about it.

CMOS

I am with you on this one,good luck let me know how it went and how bad did they look???PS: Don't forget the beer!!!

FX4Jim3 12-30-2006 06:34 AM

I welded a easyout to the end of a 6 in extenion and lightly tapped it in to set it, and twisted and with light upword pressure pulled it out. I first went to the dealer and talked to a tec and showed him what had happend. He told me that Ford had a extraction tool but he did'nt have one to show me. I should bring it in so I would not screw it up they had a 50% success rate of getting it out without removing pulling the head. So I thought at that rate I'll screw it up my self before I let someone else do it. The tec told me that he will sell his truck before he has to change his plugs.

markstanfield 12-30-2006 07:16 AM

Great....I can't believe it...but I'm scared to death to change friggin spark plugs!!!

If a plug breaks, what happens to the debris (pieces or thread, etc...) that falls into the head? Does this grind around inside the head and cause further damage??

My '04 has 70k, and I'm keeping-it (great truck so far). No my decision is whether to wait until 100K??

Is $450 the right amount from most dealters?