Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Oil Leak rear of engine 7.3 PSD 2000 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/554624-oil-leak-rear-of-engine-7-3-psd-2000-a.html)

vettdvr 12-05-2006 06:01 PM

Oil Leak rear of engine 7.3 PSD 2000

I have an oil leak on the right side rear of the engine above the starter that appears to be from the rear of the valve cover. I've done a search and could not find anything on this leak. It was just a drop every week or so,, but today it was about 6" dia. spot on the concrete. Any suggestions. Thanks Jim

HELLSPAWNS1 12-05-2006 06:06 PM

7.3 leak rear of motor

Hey There.i Dont Want To Give Bad Info But My 7.3 Had The Same Leak.i Just Bought The Truck But The Previous Owner Said It Is From The High Pressue Oil Lines On Top Of The Motor.the Seals In Them Blow Out And They Leak.ford Has A Braided Updated Version Of Them.i Think They Are 40.00 Each.hope This Helps.

PowerstrokeJunkie 12-05-2006 06:11 PM

I had a leak coming out of the turbo pedestal, it was the seal that seals oil from coming out from around the actuator arm, that hooks to the Backpressure Valve linkage. Instead of fixing it, my cure was to spend $1000 or so in upgrade parts, just because it was justifiable. Here are some pics of the oil that shot out. It was only on the right side, and not the left. It was all over the back of the engine, and oil even dripped down the exhaust pipe. I had oil all the way back on the bottom of my TRANSFER CASE!

http://thumb0.webshots.net/t/62/62/2...0FCGKyg_th.jpg

Here is the edited pic, once you are in Webshots, click left and right on the adjacent pics to see the rest of the oil carnage.

vettdvr 12-06-2006 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by HELLSPAWNS1
Hey There.i Dont Want To Give Bad Info But My 7.3 Had The Same Leak.i Just Bought The Truck But The Previous Owner Said It Is From The High Pressue Oil Lines On Top Of The Motor.the Seals In Them Blow Out And They Leak.ford Has A Braided Updated Version Of Them.i Think They Are 40.00 Each.hope This Helps.

You didn't mention if you had replaced the lines yet. Did this fix the problem.

I will be looking under the hood this weekend. Truck is outside,, just too cold this week to crawl around it. Jim

vettdvr 12-06-2006 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Instead of fixing it, my cure was to spend $1000 or so in upgrade parts, just because it was justifiable.

Thanks for the great information and pics. Couple of questions.

Was the part with the leaky seal replacable as a single item or did you need to replace it as a unit with the turbo?

Also if you don't mind asking ,, what was total cost and is this a "home project" and where did you buy the parts.

Thanks Jim

lethal5point7 12-06-2006 02:46 PM

I performed a similar modification on my turbo pedestal (like the one in the pic), but it required me to disconnect the EPBV for good. I upgraded to a big turbo, and as part of the kit you remove the EPBV in the exhaust. So when I did this the seal around the rod coming out of the pedestal started to leak a bunch.

I ended up removing the rod from the pedestal, measuring the appropriate length on the rod and cut the end off of it. So then I drilled out the hole the rod came out of and plugged it with a pipe plug. I then re-installed the valve (with the shortened rod) as to not affect the oiling operating of the pedestal. I don't know if I needed to or not, but I unplugged the EPBV sensor as well and it hasn't been an issue. I live in Arizona so the EPBV isn't really necessary here..

HELLSPAWNS1 12-06-2006 05:17 PM

Hey Sorry It Took So Long To Get Back To You.the Lines Are Replaced On My Truck Now And They Stopped That Leak.unfortunately There Is Another Leak On That Side.it Sounds Just Like What Strokin-it7.3 Is Saying.he May Be The Better Person To Follow.he Definitely Sounds Like He Has More Experience Than Me.i Am Now Going To Take His Advice And Check What He Said On My Truck.really Cold Here Too.i Just Hope I Can Find This Thread Again.i Am A Beginner.

ponch37300 12-06-2006 09:39 PM

strokin does know alot. i just had a leak in the same spot and decided to take it to the dealership and let them fix and paid the 100 dollar deductable. Living in wisconsin and the temps around 5 degrees right now i would like to keep my ebpv. There is a pedestal rebuild kit from dieselsite.com http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=314The kit costs 130 bucks so that's why i took it to the dealer.

HELLSPAWNS1 12-07-2006 05:48 AM

Yeah It Is Cold Where You Are.i Work For Harley Davidson And I Was Just There For A Meeting.i Was In Milwaukee.i Am Lucky Because I Can Pull My Truck In My Dealership.talk To You Later

vettdvr 12-08-2006 07:45 AM

Ok,, I checked and from what I can see there is oil on the rear of the engine below turbo by the pedstal. Not much and I can't see if there is a valve in the pedistal. I will have to remove piping to get a better look. Also given 125,000 miles if I have to pull the turbo to repair leaks should I replace / rebuild the turbo. How long does a turbo last? If I have it on the bench should it be rebuilt. Thanks Jim