Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Speed Sensor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/552292-speed-sensor.html)

Kallie 11-30-2006 01:19 PM

I just had that problem with my 1992 F150 with the E4OD and it had just been rebuilt. By the way does your speedo work? Well mine did when it felt like it but, when it didn't work the tranny shifted sloppily. I had a post last week regarding it. Lucky you got more help than I did. I got the speed sensor after going to 3 parts stores as well as to Ford dealers and finally got one. I did have to tell them exactly where it was and he said that it is also called a abs sensor as it is a sensor that does many things. Sorry but I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this problem as I was thinking my truck was a lemon. One problem after another.

Good luck,
Kallie

Kallie 12-06-2006 04:15 PM

I had the same problem no speedo, odometer and erratic shifting on my 92 F150 w/ E4OD as well as I had problems getting the part from everywhere until I found out that the parts guys also call it the abs sensor as it is on the pumpkin and it also has more than purpose of sensing speed. I replaced it all is good now.

Kallie

RyanJake 12-06-2006 05:30 PM

i replaced mine on my truck too and its doing alot better. I never knew that little thing was there and it did so much. Ryan

blue_mule_77 12-23-2006 01:07 PM

Hey all,
I just picked up my "new" work truck yesterday -- it is a '99 V-10, automatic tranny. On the way back to the ranch it would occasionally begin shifting hard and the OD-off light on the shifter handle would blink a steady pattern. Shutting the vehicle off and restarting it corrected the trouble and it would drive like a dream. This was a 100 mile trip at highway speeds and it occurred but four times. I did whip into an AutoZone and their diagnostic computer showed no codes. [Are the transmission codes accessed by the same port as engine codes?] It was suggested by the AuzoZone guy and a mechanic at the Ford house whom I asked that it was the speed sensor. I didn't detect anything amiss with the speedometer, however, and would like to know whether it would necessarily cause speedometer failure in concert with the shifting trouble and blinking light. Thanks for any advice.

blue_mule_77 12-23-2006 09:16 PM

Update: I had to make the trip into town anyway, so I got a replacement speed sensor and installed it in the parts store parking lot. It was not the problem. In the 3 hour round trip I made some more observations: It seems that light begins flashing in fourth gear when under a maintained load of about 1800 RPM, but the susbequent hard-upshifting affects every gear change. Shutting the motor off and immediately restarting it clears up the trouble, and as long as the transmission gets to overdrive through steady acceleration it is just fine -- ditto for tooling around town. I tried a computer diagnostic again with no error codes but I'm still not sure they'd be communicated via the port under the dash that is used for engine codes. I think after Christmas I'll just have to take 'er to a tranny shop, unless you folks have some ideas for me. I did get a 24 oz bottle of Lucas tranny treatment (haven't added it) but I know in my heart of hearts that it won't fix what ails 'er.

blue_mule_77 12-23-2006 09:31 PM

Found the other threads on this site -- sorry to have posted before fully investigated. Seems my situation is common and much-discussed. I think I have all the answers I need. Thanks!

LEVEL10 12-26-2006 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RyanJake
Anyone have any knowledge of the speed sensor on the transmission of an E4OD transmission. My truck is a 1992 f-150 4X4. The trans is not shifting through gears correctly. Its like its lazy shifting and when it finally shifts its as if there is a shift kit in it causing it to shift hard. I just put on a new TPS and it got worse after I did this. My friend is a transmission mechanic for Ford and he said to replace the Speed Sensor on the Trans. Any suggestions or experiences with this?

Hello,
Check out our website, for codes and thier fixes. We can also supply you with the parts to fix your trans. We also offer upgrade and performance parts
for your vehicle.We can also answer any questions you may have.

Mike,
Level 10 Tech
973-827-1000
http://www.levelten.com/

Kallie 12-27-2006 01:00 AM

I have a 1992 F150 that had the same problem except the Ford Mechanic said I needed a tranny rebuild. Well after the rebuild and replacing computer($200)speed sensor, turns out all it was, was my PSOM (The digital speedo) which is common I now know. I bought a used one for $50 and all is great now it is like having a new truck if only I knew it $3000 ago x( . After tranny rebuild I took it to 3 other mechanics and no one suggested that. I just happened to talk to the right person at my sons' school :-jammin . Does your speedo and tach as well as odometer work correctly? Mine did, I didn't really have many problems with it. It once in awhile would get stuck but I didn't really think it could be that well now I know better.
Good Luck,
Kallie

grizz3000 12-27-2006 01:07 AM

Man, I would rip that mechanic (and the whole shop) a new a-hole.

Kallie 12-27-2006 01:49 AM

They still don't believe me that all I did was replace the PSOM. I even showed the old one to them. They said it had to be wiring as well.
What can ya do, I learned a hard lesson,
Kallie

grizz3000 12-27-2006 05:25 PM

Yes, true. It angers me beyond belief when mechanics do stuff like this.

blue_mule_77 12-31-2006 08:39 PM

My speedometer and tach seemed to work fine. The odometer was stuck at 99,999 but I think that was a physical dirt-'n-grime sort of thing, given the reading -- ah, but could there be some sort of reverse effect as well, meaning that the physically stuck odometer screws up the PSOM?? The truck is in the shop even now -- $500 so far and no fix. Word is that the converter is now being replaced in hopes that it'll fix the trouble. Gulp.

Kallie 01-01-2007 03:18 AM

It can't hurt to replace with a used one it will cost less than a torque converter!

Well after the tranny rebuild and replacing computer($200)speed sensor, turns out all it was, was my PSOM (The digital speedo) which is common I now know. I bought a used one for $50 and all is great now it is like having a new truck if only I knew it $3000 ago
Good Luck,
Kallie

pole9cat 02-23-2007 08:48 PM

The banjo referred to fords with closed drive shafts up to 1948. When you unbolted the axle housings, the remains looked like a banjo.

blue_mule_77 02-23-2007 09:05 PM

Figured it was only right that I followed up with the end result of my transmission adventure: After the torque converter was installed, I've had no more trouble. I've been pulling heavy loads on the highway and dragging my stock trailer around the ranch and haven't had any blinking lights or bad shifts. Thanks to all for your help.