Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Replacing a power steering hose, need pointers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/552151-replacing-a-power-steering-hose-need-pointers.html)

97-F150-97 11-28-2006 06:51 PM

Replacing a power steering hose, need pointers

O.k,
I need to replace a leaking powersteering hose. I have a '97 F150 with a 4.6 engine.
It appears to be leaking below the resovoir where the rubber tube turns into metal tubing. I am guessing this is the "pressure" line . I have a "Haynes" repair manual but it does not really give much info except for replacing the pump. With that job, it is saying to remove a ton of parts (shroud, skid plate,belt,brackets etc) to get access. Can I replace the hose without having to do all of that?
I just replaced the A/C clutch a few months back and had a hell of a time to get acess to the a/c compressor. I was trying to take of the shroud but found out I needed to remove the fan. Well, you need a special tool to hold the fan so you can remove it. I did not have that so I had to do the whole job from below. Anyway.... Anybody out that have any tricks,tips or idea what I'm in for?

searay220 12-10-2006 06:31 PM

I know the high pressure hose can be a B***! The real problem is usually on the steering rack end of the hose connections. The low and high pressure hoses are over and under one another and so close together.
I have never replaced my truck high pressure hose, but on my Mustang it was easier to remove the pump and install the HP hose first then put the pump back in. On the rack end of the connections I had to bend a 11/16's end wrench at a 45* angle and also cut a 11/16's wrench off to create a very stubby open end wrench to get it done.

So what I am trying to convey is think outside the box and don't be afraid to be inventive. Good luck!

MazdaRangerGuyInSTL 12-11-2006 02:12 AM

Stubby wrenches are a godsend for these pressure lines... problem is they are very hard to turn by hand, and as a result you have to start the fitting with a wrench. Just make 100% certain it is starting straight before even starting to thread it in and DO NOT overtighten it.. the nylon seals don't resist crushing too well... even when tight you should be able to pivot the line inside the fitting.

Racerguy 12-11-2006 08:50 AM

A crowfoot wrench on a long extension works well too.

britbiker 03-14-2008 11:42 AM

Hello guys,

I ' having the same problem on my 1998 F150.

The hose from the bottom of the resevoir is leaking where it goes from rubber to metal. I asked for a hose from Advanced Auto and they gave me 2 different hoses but neither looks like mine. I think I'll have to take it off and take it to them.
Did you get a replacement hose, if so from where and what is the part #.
I may try to take the front wheel off and go through the wheelwell.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks