Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   correct headlight adjusting (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/551467-correct-headlight-adjusting.html)

Daviddc114 11-26-2006 11:55 PM

correct headlight adjusting

can anyone tell me the correct and most effective (and easy) way of correctly adjusting the headlights myself, just useing what you would have in your home garage. i dont have the black chart you would usually direct the lights at at a shop so no smart ass remarks??

Greenscobie86 11-27-2006 09:24 AM

I bought Lightning style lights for my expy and could never properly adjust the new headlights after installing them, so I am asking the same question. However i did hear from someone that to properly adjust these "tab" secured headlights is to use a special FoMoCo electronic level which is seldom found at any regular body shop. I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear but I figured Id share my input.

MisterCMK 11-27-2006 09:31 AM

Aiming your own headlights is really easy. This guide gives the steps on how to do it. I need to aim the ones on my Explorer up just a little bit from when I did it this summer, but thats not a big deal.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...e/1347221.html

tdister 11-27-2006 02:25 PM

Greenscobie86 is correct. Most (all?) HB5 (9007) headlights, including these, can not be properly aimed using the wall method (even with a chart). They need to be taken to a dealer to have it performed. Some higher quality body shop techs will have a tool that has two bubble levels and supposedly works just as well.

The lights gives a different spread (and not just a mirror image of the other). If you aim them to have vertically similar main beams on a wall, at least one will be off. Load it up with it's regular load, 3/4 tank of gas and add your body weight to the drivers seat (especially if you are on the larger side). They shouldn't charge more than $40 or so.

You might be able to get close, as far as vertical aim goes, by just "eyeballing" it on the road. Just don't expect an absolute and proper method without the proper tools. There may be one for these SPECIFIC lights (not all HB5 lights give the same or "close enough" spread to generalize), I have yet to find it though.

Are you getting flashed by other drivers or just unhappy with the lights/spread? New lights?

Greenscobie86: Your lightning "style" lights may never be aimed properly even if you take them to a dealer. It seems at least one brand of aftermarket Lightning headlight puts out a horrible beam pattern. see this thread and its pics: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ight-woes.html

ronk1969 12-20-2006 11:07 PM

i was having the same problems with my headlights. i couldnt figure out how to adjust the headlights. i was thinking of taking to the dealer. sounds like that is what i will have to do

Greenscobie86 02-08-2007 12:06 AM

Well i just ended up putting in 7k HIDs into my lights. They dont blind anyone(I asked) and get all the light output i will ever need. Besides that they look really cool with a nice blue tint and a crystal effect in the Lightning headlamps.

wrenchturner 02-08-2007 07:41 AM

as per the manual there is only an up down adjustment. it is behind the headlight and is a 10mm bolt pointed down. I cranked mine up and down with no change. I actually adjusted the stud coming out of the back of the light it's a 5/32nds. I pulled the lights out of the truck to make the adjustments. it took more time taking in and out to see what i had done but it's tight. I'll get the chart and post the distances to get them right.

04markIII 02-09-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchturner (Post 4401553)
as per the manual there is only an up down adjustment. it is behind the headlight and is a 10mm bolt pointed down. I cranked mine up and down with no change.

i noticed the same on my 03. had to replace a bulb, so did both. based on my garage, neither seems right. manual states one adjustment. no change when i turn it in either direction(both lights). funny how there are 3 pivots, but supposedly no adjustment. rh seems a little too outwards, and lh a little to high, so i just finagled the attaching bolts different ways to ghet it close.

fordtech08 02-09-2010 12:54 PM

this might help you markIII
All headlamp types

NOTE: Horizontal aim is not necessary for VOR or VOL headlamps.

NOTE: Consult your state vehicle inspection manual for recommended tolerance ranges for visual aiming.

NOTE: The sight shield may need to be positioned or removed for access to the adjusters.

Before starting headlamp adjustment:
Check the tire inflation.
Check that no other load is in the vehicle other than a half tank of fuel.
Check that the headlamps are clean.
Check for correct headlamp operation.
Check that the vehicle is on level ground.
If the vehicle is equipped with air suspension, make sure that the switch is on.
NOTE: The vertical wall or screen must be a minimum of 2.4-meters (8-feet) wide.

Park the vehicle on a level surface approximately 7.6 meters (25 feet) from the vertical wall or screen directly in front of it.

NOTE: The center of the lamp is marked either on the lens (circle, crosshair or other mark) or on the bulb shield internal to the lamp (crosshair or other mark).

Mark a horizontal reference line on the vertical wall or screen.
Measure the center of the headlamp height to ground and record.
Make a 2.4-meter (8-foot) horizontal mark (masking tape) on the vertical wall or screen at the same distance from the ground as previously recorded.

NOTE: This procedure should be done in a dark environment to effectively see the headlamp beam pattern.

Turn on the low beam headlamps to illuminate the wall or screen and open the hood.
NOTE: For SAE type headlamps, the appearance of the beam pattern may vary between vehicles.

On the wall or screen, locate the high intensity area of the beam pattern. Place the top edge of the high intensity zone even with the horizontal reference line.
VOR-type headlamps

NOTE: The appearance of the VOR beam pattern may vary between vehicles.

Identify at the top edge of this high intensity area a distinct horizontal cutoff in the beam pattern. If the top edge of this cutoff is not even with the horizontal reference line, the headlamp beam will need to be adjusted.

VOL-type headlamps

For VOL-type headlamps, there will be a distinct cutoff in the left portion of the beam pattern. The edge of this cutoff should be positioned 50.2 mm (2 in) below the horizontal reference line.
Horizontal reference line.
Top edge of the beam pattern.
High intensity zone.

04markIII 02-09-2010 12:59 PM

thanks, but doesn't help if the adjustment doesn't actually adjust. i know it states no horizontal adjustment, but the left seems to be where it needs to be horizontally, just a little high. the rh lamp is about the right height, but the beam seems to be more to the right than the center. not bad, just not perfect.

fordtech08 02-09-2010 01:09 PM

are you sure you got the tabs back in correctly?

04markIII 02-09-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by fordtech08 (Post 8490451)
are you sure you got the tabs back in correctly?

lol, only goes one way! nothing sticking out from fender or grill.

alwaysfords41 02-09-2010 01:31 PM

I have found the adjustment to be non existant as well, and used the set screw jockeying method described above.

Expedition Jim 08-04-2015 12:28 AM

What does the set screw do?