Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   Hard to shift out of park (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/548177-hard-to-shift-out-of-park.html)

quinttheman 11-17-2006 12:33 PM

Hard to shift out of park

I have a 95 Aerostar that when in park it is hard to shift into reverse, drive etc. It is an automatic, 3.0 liter. Please help

Marty86 11-17-2006 02:31 PM

I have this same problem. The shifter also moves around while in any gear, its like its loose. But I can't tell how to fix it!

quinttheman 11-17-2006 08:16 PM

The shifter doesn't move but I have to press the brakes really hard to get it to shift.

Marty86 11-18-2006 12:01 AM

Thats exactly what mine does. I can have the brake pedal to the floor, and it feels like I have to rip the level down just to get it into whichever gear.

96_4wdr 11-18-2006 05:35 AM

Shift Interlock System
The shift interlock system prevents the shifting from PARK (P) (when the ignition switch is in the RUN position) unless the brake pedal (2455) is depressed. The interlock system consists of an electrical solenoid mounted at the base of the steering column (3C529). If the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the solenoid has continuous power supplied unless the brake pedal is depressed

Brake-Shift Interlock Switch

The brake-shift interlock switch (used on automatic transmission-equipped vehicles) prevents moving the shift lever out of PARK position unless brake pedal is depressed.

The brake-shift interlock system consists of an electrical solenoid mounted at the base of the steering column. If the ignition key is in the run position, the solenoid continually runs unless the brake is depressed.

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <caption>SUMMARY OF INTERLOCK OPERATIONAL STATUS </caption> <tbody> <tr> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Ignition Switch Position </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Ignition Interlock Shift Lever and Steering Wheel </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Brake-Shift Interlock Status </th></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Accessory </td> <td align="center" valign="top">Locked </td> <td align="left" valign="top">Shift Unlocked — No Power to Solenoid </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Locked </td> <td align="center" valign="top">Locked </td> <td align="left" valign="top">Shift Unlocked — No Power to Solenoid </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Off </td> <td align="center" valign="top">Unlocked </td> <td align="left" valign="top">Shift Unlocked — No Power to Solenoid </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">Run </td> <td align="center" valign="top">Unlocked </td> <td align="left" valign="top">Shift Locked (Unless Brake Pedal Is Depressed) — Power to Solenoid </td></tr></tbody></table>

If the brake circuit fuse is blown or the solenoid has internally shorted, the vehicle will not shift from the PARK position even if the ignition is on and brake pedal is depressed. The interlock can be temporarily overridden by the following procedure:
  1. Apply parking brake.
  1. Remove the ignition key.
  1. Insert the ignition key and rotate one position clockwise (ignition off).
  1. Shift the selector lever to NEUTRAL.
  1. Start the vehicle.
If the vehicle is shifted into PARK, the above procedure must be repeated.

Brake-Shift Interlock Switch Location click

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...134102&width=0

Symptom Chart — Shift Control Linkage
Use the Symptom Chart as an aid in determining possible conditions, sources and necessary service actions for shift control linkage.

NOTE: Use Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter 105-R0051 or equivalent to perform electrical Pinpoint Tests.

SYMPTOM CHART — SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE Condition Possible Source Action
Shift Interlock System Does Not Release or Lock Properly
Circuitry open/shorted.

Blown fuse.
Damaged brake on/off (BOO) switch.
Damaged shift lock actuator.
GO to Pinpoint Test step A1 .

Shift Control Linkage Binding, Out of Proper Gear Relationship
Damaged shift cable and bracket.

Loose shift cable and bracket.
Loose retainer bracket.
Shift linkage misadjusted.
GO to Pinpoint Test step B1 .

Transmission Range Indicator Does Not Correspond to the Gear
Transmission shift cable bracket is loose.
TIGHTEN bolts holding transmission shift cable bracket.

Transmission control indicator linkage misadjusted.
ADJUST PRNDL at steering column housing.

Transmission shift cable loose from the transmission retainer bracket.
TIGHTEN transmission shift cable bolts.

Shift linkage misadjusted.
VERIFY shift cable adjustment. REFER to Adjustments in this section. ADJUST shift cable, if necessary.

Clip securing the transmission shift cable to the transmission range selector lever is loose.
INSTALL clip properly.

Transmission Range Indicator Lamp Does Not Illuminate
Bulb burned out.
REPLACE bulb.

Wiring harness damaged.
INSTALL new wiring harness.

Rattle, Noise, Buzz, etc.
Selector lever knob loose.
REPLACE selector lever knob.

Transmission range selector lever loose.
TIGHTEN housing bolts.

Shift interlock spring not hooked.
ATTACH shift interlock spring properly.

Water Enters Inside the Vehicle
Cable assembly grommet not secure to dash panel.
SECURE grommet to dash panel.

Cable assembly grommet torn.
INSTALL new transmission shift cable.

Excessive Shift Effort
Kinked/broken transmission shift cable.
REPLACE transmission shift cable.

Cable bracket loose/bent.
ADJUST cable. TIGHTEN cable bracket screws.

Transmission Range Selector Lever Will Not Shift from Range
Transmission shift cable detached from transmission bracket.

Lock tab loose.
REINSTALL transmission shift cable.

Broken transmission shift cable.
REPLACE transmission shift cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission Shift Cable and Bracket — Explorer 5.0L, Aerostar

[img]STK%7Eus%7Een%7Efile=ani_caut.gif%7Egen%7Eref.gif[/img] CAUTION: Do not adjust the cable in any position other than (D).

NOTE: Perform the transmission control cable adjustments in the order in which they appear in this section of the manual. Before the cable is adjusted, be sure the engine idle speed is within specifications. Refer to Section 4A of the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis and testing of engine idle speed.

NOTE: Before adjusting the control cable, the shift indicator needle must first be checked for proper positioning and adjusted if necessary. Refer to Section 11-04A .

1. Place shift control selector lever in the (D) (OVERDRIVE) position.
  1. Hang a 1.4 kg (3 lb.) weight on the end of the shift control selector lever.
  1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under the vehicle.
  1. Use a screwdriver and pry the shift cable end from the manual control lever ball stud.
  1. To unlock the adjuster body, release the lock tab on the top side of the cable by pushing down on two tangs.
  1. Move the shift cable back and forth the full adjustment length four or five times to remove any dirt. Be sure the adjuster body moves freely.
  1. Shift the transmission (7003) into (D) by moving the transmission lever all the way forward (clockwise) and then rearward three detent positions.
  1. Holding the cable end fitting, push the cable rearward until the end fitting lines up with the outer manual control lever ball stud. Connect the cable end fitting to the ball stud.
  1. Push up on the lock tab to lock the adjuster body in the correctly adjusted position. Be sure locator tab is properly seated in the bracket.
  1. Make sure shift cable is clipped to floorpan at white cable mark and cable is routed into tunnel (Explorer only).
  1. Remove safety stands and lower vehicle.
  1. Adjust shift indicator pointer while transmission is still in the (D) position.
  1. Remove the 1.4 kg (3 lb.) weight from the shift control selector lever.
  1. After adjustment, check for P (PARK) engagement. Check the shift control selector lever in all positions with the engine (6007) running to make sure that transmission/detent action is correct. Readjust if required.
<hr>

quinttheman 11-18-2006 11:02 AM

Thanks a lot I really think it is the BOO switch because when I override it there is not a problem. Also, I don't have problems in other gears.

B-Aerostar 11-19-2006 08:11 AM

Also check the shift tube in the column area. It has 3 torx bolts that seem to come loose often. Cause hard shifting out of gear too.

savagefan 09-09-2012 08:04 PM

Great post 96_4WD, thanx!