Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   East Bound towards Claremore, OK (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/540202-east-bound-towards-claremore-ok.html)

biz4two 10-25-2006 03:54 PM

East Bound towards Claremore, OK

Hi Folks,

Looking for a little advice and any tips too.

My wife and I are planning a trip on Nov. 3rd up towards Claremore, OK. We are picking up a travel trailer from Route 66 RVs. Such a good deal...we could not pass up. Then on the 4th head back home to Albuquerque.

So...my questions are related to the travel. Never driven any further East of Amarillo, TX. We plan on taking I40 upto I44 just outside of Oklahoma City. Then take I44 upto Tulsa...and taking Exit 255 into Claremore, OK. Does that sound about right? What kind of terrain are we going to experience in OK? Elevation levels?

What about the cost of the tolls on I44? (just curious...so we have exact change)

We plan on spending the night in Tulsa...and were thinking of finding a hotel/motel off I44. Were thinking in the area of S. Yale off I44 or E. Skelly Dr off I44??? Any safe area's you folks recommend? We do not want to make reservations in an unsafe area of town.

We are really looking forward to the trip in our 2003 F250 SD...and hope the Oklahoma Chapter can lend a hand. Thanks! :-X22

biz
:-wink

Traxxis 10-26-2006 10:58 AM

haha, biz---come on to Claremore and let us show you the 'town'. :)

There are hotels here in Claremore that are very safe---and likely cheaper than Tulsa hotels, if you would like, I could get you some phone numbers.

The cost of the Turner turnpike from OKC to Tulsa is $3.50 I believe---actually, I'm fairly certain. Once you get into Tulsa, I don't recommend taking the Will Rogers turnpike, unless you want to completely bypass Claremore. It's cheaper and just as fast to get to town by taking RT66 from I44 (HW412).

After re-reading your post---come stay in Claremore, it's right down the road from Rt66 RV's (a little north of town, about 4 miles). There is a Days Inn, Microtel, and Super 8.

Email me your number (if you're comfortable with that) and I'll try to call you tonight (after 9 pm CST) with some phone numbers and we'll see if we can have a small gtg while you're in town.

STan

biz4two 10-27-2006 02:08 PM

Thanks for the reply and invite Traxxis! Mighty nice of you... :-wink

See...the reason we are thinking of going back into Tulsa from Claremore (RT66 RV)...is so that we can get a nice "CLOSER" fresh start back towards Albuquerque. Pulling the travel trailer will slow us down...and make for a longer drive back. The closer West we can get before nightfall the better...LOL! :-X03

Any other advise??? We sure would appreciate it! Really looking forward to the drive up...and the tow back. Anytime driving these SD's...puts a smile on the face! :)

Thanks again,
biz
:-X22

cigarxtc 10-27-2006 03:26 PM

My tiny bit of advice would be to not stay at any lodging on E. Skelly Drive near Hwy 169/Hwy44. (I work in this area and it's not the safest place to be or have valuables after dark.) I'd probably stay somewhere off of HWY44 and 41st Street. That would keep you close to the interstate and major restaurants and gas stations. There is a Cracker Barrell visible from the hwy and lots of retail locations/mall within a 5min drive.

You could also stay in Owasso, which is on the way to Claremore.

Bring a radar detector and plan to use it on the interstate and pretty much everywhere else you drive in OK.

biz4two 10-27-2006 04:32 PM

GREAT TIPS about the radar detector and places to NOT stay. Really...appreciate it! Will certainly take the detector...and watch our speeds.

--> So...would you say, that South Yale Ave off I-44 Exit 229 is a rather safe place? According to the map...it says it is near Lafortune Park Golf course. No golf this trip...just no time. haha

I was able to find Hwy 169 and I-44 on the map...and will stay clear. Thanks!

Thanks again!
biz
:-X25

cigarxtc 10-28-2006 10:49 AM

Sure, exit 229 or 230 will put you in a good location, and fairly close to HWY44. There's quite a few places to stay for the night in that area. Lots of restaurants, gas stations, and retail shops in that area.

Also, don't wanna scare ya, but trailers seem to be a hot commodity in this state. I'd use a good padlock to secure it to your truck.

Are you using electronic or paper navigation to get here and back?

biz4two 10-28-2006 11:05 PM

Will be using "paper"...in a sense. I have mapped out our drive using mapquest. Printed the route...and will take along a travel map from AAA...as a backup. No GPS navigation...but that is on my "wish" list. :-D Any reason you ask? Just curious...maybe the "paper" version is not updated???

Yes, I will have locks on the hitch and the pin. Plus, for the evening...I will be putting a wheel lock. Goes from the wheel to the spring. Also, will try and park where the trailer is backed up against a curb or something in the parking lot. Would "HATE" to have an unpleasant experience in OK...and hoping for the best.

Glad to hear Exit 229 is a nice area. Think we will be staying around there...

Any other info...is very appreciated! :-X22

Thanks!

biz
:-wink

cigarxtc 10-30-2006 01:10 PM

Sounds like ya'll got it planned out. I was just asking about the map thing out of curiosity. I work at 12000 E. Skelly Dr. in Tulsa. You'd literally be driving right by our offices on Hwy44 and 11th Street. I could stand on the front lawn and wave to you as you drove by. Yer welcome to stop on by and say high if ya want to. We're open from M-F, 8am-5pm. I can show you some of the auto motive gps products we have available. kinda neat stuff. :-) Good luck on yer trip and be safe. Just an FYI, gas out here is about $2.03/gallon.

biz4two 10-31-2006 02:31 PM

I'll make sure to HONK as I pass. I will probably be passing after 5pm...so your shop will be closed.

WOW!!! Gas is cheap in OK! NICE! :-wink Here it is still in the $2.14 range...

Looking forward to the drive...Thanks!

biz
:-X22 :-X21 :-X22

Traxxis 10-31-2006 05:10 PM

Do you think you would be able to meet up with us while you're hear???

BTW: Gas is $1.97 here in Claremore! :)

STan

biz4two 11-06-2006 03:11 PM

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I took all the advice...and put it to good use. Kept to the speed limit (mostly)...and made the 1400 miles round trip back home. All went well...and my FORD tows like a dream!

Route 66 RVs is a great group. They stayed open late for us on a Friday no less...so that we could still take delivery and keep to our return home schedule.

Left ABQ, NM at 4:00am and arrived in Claremore, OK at 5:30pm. Don't forget we lost an hour going from Mountain Time Zone to Central Time Zone.

Thanks again...

biz
:-wink :-X22 :-wink