Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Can I use jet fuel?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/539861-can-i-use-jet-fuel.html)

fabmandelux 10-26-2006 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mongo75
Long uncomfortable story hehe.

So lets hear the story!

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

mongo75 10-26-2006 06:55 PM

Long story short- tired, rushing, had truck on drive on lift to replace u-joints, pulled drive shaft, forgot to chock the wheels, truck rolled back go BOOM. Luckily it stayed on the lift, but I punctured the tank ($622), have to rebuild the aft driveshaft ($315) dented my Magnaflow muffler(no biggie), cracked my right fender ($??) and dented the body a bit, and trashed a $4000 lift. I hate to admit my mistakes, but maybe someone can learn from my stupidity. Oh, almost forgot- 10 stitches in my elbow, nice gash and scrapes on my forehead, couple of slightly smashed fingers. They say I got off lucky, but my wallet doesn't feel like that!

cookie88 10-26-2006 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Howdy y'all,

All these questions have been pretty much answered.

Go here for the info.

It's a fairly large PDF file.

Below is a sample of what's in the article.

Since Jet-A is not colored.......if I had access to "free" fuel I'd run it in my 6.5L diesel. I'd probably mix in a little lub improver like 10w non-detergent oil or 2cy oil etc. But if you read the above article it indicates that newer diesel injection systems have not had any problem with kerosene based fuels. The military intends to run EVERYTHING on it.

Cheers!

Rick

USE OF JP-8 FUEL IN GROUND EQUIPMENT
The following is a listing of questions with answers frequently raised regarding use of JP-8 fuel in
diesel fuel consuming vehicles and equipment. These responses have been coordinated with the U.S.
Army Tank-Automotive Command and Headquarters, U.S. Air Force.

a. What is JP-8?
Answer: JP-8 is a kerosene-type aviation turbine fuel. It is procured under MIL-T-83133 and
is interchanged within NATO under NATO Code Number F-34.

b. What is the difference between JP-8 and JET A-1?
Answer: JET A-1 is essentially identical to JP-8 except it does not contain the three additives
required in JP-8; namely, the fuel system icing inhibitor, corrosion inhibitor, and
static dissipator additive. JET A-1 is the standard fuel used by all commercial airline
companies worldwide, except within the U.S. where JET A is principally used. JET
A-1 differs from JET A only in its lower freeze point requirement; i.e., -40°C (-40°F)
versus –47°C (-53°F) for JET A versus JET A-1.

c. What is the difference between JP-8 and JP-4?
Answer: JP-4 is not a kerosene-type aviation turbine fuel, but instead is approximately a 40:60,
50:50, or 60:40 mixture of kerosene with naphtha (e.g., a gasoline-type blending
stock). It is called a "wide-cut fuel". JP-4 is procured under MIL-T-5624 and has
been interchanged-within NATO under NATO Code Number F-40. It is not usually
considered as an acceptable substitute for diesel-fueled equipment. F-40 has been the
standard aircraft fuel for NATO aircraft until 1986 when NATO nations agreed to the
conversion from F-40 to F-34.

d. What is the difference between JP-8 and JP-5?
Answer: JP-5, like JP-8, is a kerosene-type aviation fuel. However, it differs from JP-8 in
having a higher flash point specification requirement; that is, 60°C (140°F) minimum
versus 38°C (100°F) minimum for JP-5 vs. JP-8. This fuel is used for all sea-based
aircraft in lieu of JP-8 because of safety requirements for on-board aircraft carrier
operation. JP-5 is procured under MIL-T-5624 and is interchanged within NATO
under NATO Code Number F-44.

e. What is the difference between JP-8 and diesel fuel?
Answer: JP-8 is primarily a kerosene whereas diesel fuels are generally either a distillate
blend, a distillate and kerosene blend, or a kerosene blend depending on the grade of
diesel; i.e., DF-2, DF-1, or arctic grade diesel fuel (DF-A). In most instances, DF-A
and some DF-1 fuels are essentially kerosenes which are very similar to JP-8 fuels.

(I bolded the above text because few people know that diesel #1 IS kerosene!)

There is a huge difference between powering your POV with JP-8 and running some AGE equiptment. The powered AGE (light all's, gensets, air carts, etc.)here hve been on JP-8 ever since we switched over from JP-4.....but the GOV fuel station on base now has B20 in the tanks. They tried running the vehicles on JP-8 but the maintenance costs were too high.

I meant that I would add oil to the JP-5 and then put it in my fuel tank to aid lubrication that the JP-5 is lacking.

That would probably work ok, but it would be a guessing game figuring out how much 2-cycle to add.

fabmandelux 10-26-2006 07:51 PM

:-missingt :-missingt Ya, It's amazing how some of us live through dumb things!

1967, somewhere in South VietNam 2:30 AM.........Dummy "A" [yours truly] climbs into the tailboom of a UH1-B gunship to change an IFF transponder. It's the tail-end of 36hrs on the flightline, soooo tired.........Yep, I fell asleep! About 30 min later an alert is called, and Gunships are ordered up. Dummy "B" [crew-chief] slams, and LOCKS access door! 2 min later we are all airborne!

I road inside that tailboom for the next 30 min while the pilot flew suppression runs with guns blazing..............:-X20 All I got was bumps, bruises, and my butt chewed out. Next morning we found 2 new bullet holes about 2' above where my head was..............................

FABMANDELUX.:-X25 :-fire

HT32BSX115 10-26-2006 08:58 PM

One has to note that that the switch to JP-8 was not without it's problems.

At McChord AFB We had big problems with Jp-8 in the C-141s during engine start......Sometimes we could't get the fire started at all!. Until the engines were retrimmed there was a "fog-bank" everytime we started them!

Don't attempt to draw ANY conclusions from the few paragraphs I posted from the article.

READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.

Regards,

Rick

HT32BSX115 10-26-2006 09:01 PM

So....what you're saying is that you're lucky to be alive!

I'm glad you have that sort of luck!!:-D

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
:-missingt :-missingt Ya, It's amazing how some of us live through dumb things!

1967, somewhere in South VietNam 2:30 AM.........Dummy "A" [yours truly] climbs into the tailboom of a UH1-B gunship to change an IFF transponder. It's the tail-end of 36hrs on the flightline, soooo tired.........Yep, I fell asleep! About 30 min later an alert is called, and Gunships are ordered up. Dummy "B" [crew-chief] slams, and LOCKS access door! 2 min later we are all airborne!

I road inside that tailboom for the next 30 min while the pilot flew suppression runs with guns blazing..............:-X20 All I got was bumps, bruises, and my butt chewed out. Next morning we found 2 new bullet holes about 2' above where my head was..............................

FABMANDELUX.:-X25 :-fire

fabmandelux 10-26-2006 09:16 PM

I was one of the lucky ones.....................but I still carry 2 more bullet scars

mongo75 10-27-2006 03:24 PM

I tell ya Fabman- you gotta love those Hueys! I do like the UH-1N's better, two engines......and no access doors to get locked in, nevermind (my big ass) being able to climb in hehe. The hellhole still sucks though. People say I'm lucky, I still got all my fingers, I guess I am. So far I'm about $950 in the hole.....

fabmandelux 10-27-2006 03:32 PM

I tell ya Fabman- you gotta love those Hueys! I do like the UH-1N's better, two engines......and no access doors to get locked in, nevermind (my big ass) being able to climb in hehe. The hellhole still sucks though. People say I'm lucky, I still got all my fingers, I guess I am. So far I'm about $950 in the hole.....

Better the hellhole than being a tunnel rat tho. My best friend was a tunnel-rat for 2 tours.................His stories were better than mine!

cookie88 10-27-2006 11:13 PM

Wow........you guys are...........old :-missingt

Of course, being old is far superior to the alternative. :-rip

Dave Sponaugle 10-29-2006 02:43 PM

Hey, you are supposed to be nice to us old guys.:-yeahrigh

Them young whipper snappers drive me crazy.:-banghead

:-wink

bigredtruckmi 10-29-2006 03:24 PM

:-drink They sure do...........:-fire

HugeF350 12-25-2008 07:35 PM

Here is what I know....

I have been running my truck on Jet A for a year now with no problems. I have been mixing 1 quart of Marvels Mystery Oil to a tank of Jet A on my F350. I also use 1 quart of diesel kleen in my bulk tank. 1 quart of diesel kleen will tell you on the bottle how much it will treat. I heard today from a Helicopter Pilot that he was using Marvels Mystery Oil at one time but stopped because it ate up the O-Rings on his injectors. He told me that the MMO has a type of corrosive chemical in it. He made the switch to 2 cycle oil and has been running it for 7 years with no issues. He runs the mixture in both his Mercades (diesel engine) and his F250 6.0 Powerstroke. I plan to make the switch over to 2 cycle oil on the next tank. Hope this helps you.

Gun-Driver 12-25-2008 09:44 PM

I'd like to know how old the MB is because the older ones will burn about anything. As for the 6.0 their a lot more finicky. I wonder how many miles he has on the 6.0 with that mixture.
Your 04 if that's a 7.3 your in good shape they're not half as finicky as the 6.0's. I would still put some dino in along with the diesel kleen, if you don't have bio for the lubrication value.
Its your engine run what you want but I wouldn't chance my motor on some mixture some guy said he ran in his MB.

HugeF350 12-27-2008 07:42 PM

My 04 is a 6.0 and seams to be running fine with the mixture.