Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel Cold Start Trouble (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/535467-biodiesel-cold-start-trouble.html)

Winsted Organics 10-10-2006 04:16 PM

Biodiesel Cold Start Trouble

been running b99 for the summer no trouble. This am 32 degrees and no start. Pulled fuel filter added regular diesel purged air from the system and put 10 gal of regular diesel from the bobcat into the tank to make a 50 50 blend. I've cranked it enough times to get some white smoke out of the tail pipe but it wont stay running. Feathered the gas pump to keep it running for about 1 minute. I've had it plugged in for 6 hours now and the fuel feels warm in the filter. Have I drained the batteries to the point where the crank speed just isn't enough? or is there a chance I burned out the fuel pump with the more viscous fuel?

cookie88 10-10-2006 06:00 PM

The pump is pretty robust, I wouldn't replace it just yet. Have you tried jumping it yet? The Super duty is very dependant on strong batteries both for starting and for the glowplugs.

Winsted Organics 10-10-2006 06:02 PM

Just got back from jumping it. Spun faster, but still nothing. Any chance the engine is full of cold fuel? I saw that on some other threads. If so any way to purge it. It was catching at times with a pronounced knock, but now it just cranks

adambomb 10-10-2006 08:03 PM

Have you got it started yet? I doesn't get that cold where i live so i havent run into any problems with running BIO. Just to let you know the cloud point for B100 is 32 deg F.

fabmandelux 10-10-2006 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by adambomb
Just to let you know the cloud point for B100 is 32 deg F.

Not always, it depends on the oil it was made from. The animal fat bio I've been working with gells at 45 deg, the mostly canola oil I'm using gells at 26 deg. The soy oil I've processed gelled at about 32-33 deg.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

fabmandelux 10-10-2006 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Winsted Organics
been running b99 for the summer no trouble. This am 32 degrees and no start. Pulled fuel filter added regular diesel purged air from the system and put 10 gal of regular diesel from the bobcat into the tank to make a 50 50 blend. I've cranked it enough times to get some white smoke out of the tail pipe but it wont stay running. Feathered the gas pump to keep it running for about 1 minute. I've had it plugged in for 6 hours now and the fuel feels warm in the filter. Have I drained the batteries to the point where the crank speed just isn't enough? or is there a chance I burned out the fuel pump with the more viscous fuel?

The lines to your Injectors are full of gelled fuel, If you cannot put it in a heated garage you'll have to blow out the lines with compressed air.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

Winsted Organics 10-10-2006 10:11 PM

purge fuel lines?

Got new batteries so the crank is real strong. The biodiesel is from Twin Cities Biodiesel. Have not had a problem in two years, but I tend to switch end of September to regular fuel in MN. How does one purge the fuel lines

Winsted Organics 10-11-2006 01:30 PM

Moral if this repair is keep it simple. Why did it stop? Too cold. Cranked the heater in the shop up all the way. The ford outside temp guage read 100! Sat in there for 5 hours. Went out and it started like nothing was wrong. Done with Biodiesel for the season in Minnesota. Thanks everyone

cookie88 10-11-2006 08:43 PM

The one time my truck froze up I would have killed for a heated garage. Glad you got it up and running again.