Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   interchangeable 5.4l engines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/531666-interchangeable-5-4l-engines.html)

Uniklife 09-27-2006 11:15 PM

interchangeable 5.4l engines

Have a question as to which year 5.4 engines will fit into a 1998 F150 with a 5.4.
Wondering if Expedition/ f150 up to 2003 will fit with no modifications, also what is needed if I obtain a "2003" 5.4 to fit the 150.
Been trying to do a search with used engines, and the engine I have has a problem with the oil pump "after" it was involved in an accident "t-bone", other vehicle impacted the drivers side rear area, bending the axle, and shifting the bed, body work was finally completed, picked the truck up, drove it about 4 miles, oil guage started flutuating for about 1/4 mile, then went dead. didn't even drive it 15 miniutes,(clacking) had to shut it off. it was taken to a repair shop and mechanic says I need the whole engine, insurance adjuster came out (because the claim was not signed off by me yet) they (insurance co)determined that the oil circulating system has nothing to do with the impact, and declined repairs, and informed me that I will have to repair the engine myself. I have had ask another mechanic , and was told the impact might have caused the oil pickup to shift?
The truck ran fine before the person (who was charged with failure to yield)
Hit the truck. been in the shop for 3 weeks... totally fustrated

KingRanchMan02 09-28-2006 10:48 AM

Welcome to FTE. :-X25 Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would go back to the insurance adjuster. Be very calm when speaking to him. Simply explain to him what circumstances were prior to the accident and what your independent mechanics evaluation was. Ask him to reconsider his ruling.

Good Luck! :-wink

LxMan1 09-28-2006 02:29 PM

97-98 are a direct fit. 99-up use PI (power improved) heads that require a different intake manifold and PCM.

Uniklife 09-28-2006 07:17 PM

Thanks "King" and I have initiated a complaint reguarding the reason why I am not being represented in this case... biggest problem is that we both have the same insurance.... I realize my engine is not in new condition it has some wear and I don't expect a new engine...I am having the oil pump problem diagnosed at this time... but I need to check about purchasing an engine... just to be on the safe side " I plan to keep the truck, but I can't invest too much"
LX... On the 99 and up, what would I need if I got a complete used engine instead of a rebuilt long block.? could just swap my parts unless there are alignment issues with the intake.

randallprince 10-27-2006 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LxMan1
97-98 are a direct fit. 99-up use PI (power improved) heads that require a different intake manifold and PCM.

Here's a random question regarding the "direct fit" of the 5.4 engines. I've got a 1997 4.6 that needs replacement. How much of the 4.6 parts will need to be replaced to go with the 5.4? Engine mounts the same at least?