Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   Need help replacing O2 sensors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/528755-need-help-replacing-o2-sensors.html)

richert01 09-18-2006 09:45 PM

Need help replacing O2 sensors

Hello All,

I am hoping to get your assistance on how to replace the O2 sensors on my 6 cylinder 2001 Ford Escape. It has been hesitating with a check engine light. I was originally advised by a buddy that it was the PCV valve as this needs to be replaced at 100000 miles. Since my truck has 94k I didn't think twice. I changed the PCV valve and the spark plugs as well. The problem seemed to be fixed till I took it on the turnpike and went up to 60mph. The check engine light came back on and it started hesitating along with a rough idle. The check engine light sometimes blinks and sometimes stays steady. Long story short, I took it to Advance Autoparts and had it checked on the computer. It came up as a cylinder 5 misfire and the tech believes it might be the O2 sensor. Hopefully, this is something I can do myself.:-huh

Any help is greatly appreciated...

DoctorCAD 09-19-2006 06:52 AM

Are you sure that its not the cylinder 5 COP?

projectSHO89 09-19-2006 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorCAD

This is FAR more likely than the O2 sensors....

Advance Auto has "techs"?????? Where did they get them from, AutoZone?

Steve

richert01 09-21-2006 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorCAD

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am going to try the boot and spring before I try the O2 sensor as it would be a much cheaper repair attempt. I will let you know how it goes.

richert01 09-21-2006 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
This is FAR more likely than the O2 sensors....

Advance Auto has "techs"?????? Where did they get them from, AutoZone?

Steve

Meant to say tech, instead. I will let you know how it turns out.

MazdaRangerGuyInSTL 09-21-2006 04:37 PM

The O2 sensor WILL NOT fix a #5 misfire code.

It's possible either somehow the plug is defective (or broke while installing), or the coil itself has some issues. Sometimes they can have a borderline condition and just removing and reinstalling them will cause it to go haywire.

If it were an oxygen sensor, it would affect that entire bank (4,5, AND 6 cylinders). Besides, I believe your vehicle has FOUR of them. Which one do you plan on replacing?

richert01 11-10-2006 09:34 PM

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say my issue was resolved. It was the COP. Tried cleaning the brass 'insert' to no avail. It did reduce the rough idle, though. In the end I paid $66+ for a new COP. Thanks to all and sorry for the delay in giving a status update.

MazdaRangerGuyInSTL 11-10-2006 10:14 PM

Hey no problem.. I'm glad to hear that it's fixed.

Congrats!