Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   dunes this weekend (sep 16) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/526613-dunes-this-weekend-sep-16-a.html)

bbender85 09-12-2006 07:34 AM

dunes this weekend (sep 16)

anyone going? gonna play in the sand box for probably the last time this year.

77460f150 09-18-2006 02:03 PM

I really wanted to go, I was planning on entering my truck in the "Apple Days" truck show. I had a surprise 30th birthday party for one of my friends to plan and attend. The weather was not bad for mid Sept. Did you get a chance to see any of the truck show?? We are planning on going the last week end of October to close up the camper and get the last bit of sand in the trucks before they close down for winter. -Ed

bbender85 09-18-2006 02:13 PM

didn't make it to the show... i spent my time on the sand. weather was great; sunday was a little (ok, a LOT) windy tho.

slisty 11-12-2006 10:18 PM

Hello from the IL chapter was wondering if there is a web site for the dunes as a few of us are talking about going up your way to play at the dunes and go out to the beach next year for an event ?

bronco521 11-12-2006 11:20 PM

just search silver lake sand dunes.it should come up with lots of stuff.

slisty 11-14-2006 09:25 PM

Great thanks.

slisty 11-14-2006 09:42 PM

How much does it cost to get the ORV ready pass and MI tags ? I went to the state web site and it gives you the rules and what you need but not the cost.

bronco521 11-15-2006 12:40 AM

a orv sticker is around $20.a state park sticker for the season is $21 ,i think.you can get a state park day pass but i don't know how much those are, i always get the season,i think they are around $7 a day.i can't remember exactly what they cost,been since april,but it was between $40-$45 for both together.after you get the stickers it doesn't cost anything else.the vouchers are free.

77460f150 11-15-2006 06:35 AM

An ORV sticker will cost you $16.25, the state park daily pass will cost $6.00 and an annual sticker is $24.00. These are Michigan resident prices, if you are a non resident it will cost a couple of dollars more for the state park stickers. The dune ready vouchers or parking lot vouchers which are only needed on week ends and holidays from Mothers day until Labor day will not cost anything but you need to get in line early to get a good time slot for dune ready vehicles or even be able to get one for the parking lot (if you have a trailered vehicle that is not street legal you will need a parking lot voucher). The best way to go is to be dune ready on week ends and holidays or you may spend alot of time in line waiting some where. Once you get up on the dunes you'll have a blast! Hope to see you there next year, if you do see me stop and say hi. -Ed

tjbeggs 12-13-2006 02:44 PM

you guy ought to just live here then you don't have to wait in line! course I don't go up on busy weekends either! Well maybe we'll see around next summer.

77460f150 12-13-2006 03:35 PM

Well we will live there someday, if all of our plans work out. We have 20 acres on 34th ave by Filmore that we stay on in campers but, plan to build a house there after retirement (10 or so years). If I could find a good paying job up there we might consider it before that. We still will go on the holiday week ends because there is a lot to see and many more people to race and play with. The "off" week ends are fun too but the 3 big week ends are really fun. Look for us next year, we will be there opening week end in April and quite often there after. -Ed

tjbeggs 12-13-2006 04:23 PM

What type of job ya looking for? I will keep my ears open.

michigunman 12-13-2006 04:40 PM

So when does it start getting crazy busy on weekends? I was only there once last year during the summer and it was during the week so there was no waiting to get in. Just wondering at about what point I would need to plan trips during the week. Is it difficult to get vouchers in the summer, on regular non-holiday weekends?

Thanks

77460f150 12-13-2006 05:12 PM

Well, I have 20 years in automotive research and development (engineering) but, I would be willing to give anything a go that would have nearly equal pay and benefit's. I live in greese most of the time, after work I'm in the garage tinkering on one of my 5 trucks, sled, motor cycle or some other gas powered machine. I don't have any carpenter skills at all, just never done it. Let me know what you see. -Ed

77460f150 12-13-2006 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by michigunman
So when does it start getting crazy busy on weekends? I was only there once last year during the summer and it was during the week so there was no waiting to get in. Just wondering at about what point I would need to plan trips during the week. Is it difficult to get vouchers in the summer, on regular non-holiday weekends?

Thanks

Last year there was a line about a mile long most of the day on opening day (April 1st). Usually Memorial day week end starts the busy week ends and they go thru Labor day, with the 3 major holidays being the biggest (Memorial, 4th, Labor). It's not so difficult to get vouchers, but it can be a little difficult to get an early (9:00-11:00 , or a 11:00-1:00)voucher. They start giving out vouchers for the week end on Friday at 12:00 (noon). Sometimes there is a line up at the voucher center and by 3:00 in the afternoon all of the early vouchers are gone. Meaning that you would not be able to enter the dunes before 1:00 or maybe even 3:00. If you have a vehicle that needs to be trailered you'll need a "parking lot" voucher, which is another game all it's own. I would recommend bringing a vehicle that is dune ready, it's much easier on holiday week ends.
I have been there on "off" (non-holiday) week ends and it's been empty and then the next time it will be really busy. Kinda of hit and miss, but definitely easier to get vouchers on "off" week ends. Look us up when you get up there next year. BTW, where are you from in southeast MI? I'm in A2. -Ed