Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   When and why did they stop making manual trans? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/518724-when-and-why-did-they-stop-making-manual-trans.html)

Fordman_Evs 08-17-2006 03:05 AM

When and why did they stop making manual trans?

Hey ya'll,

The other night I was playing designing new trucks off the various websites. I had built "my" new F-150 Supercrew when I noticed it only came auto then I noticed so do 1/2 ton Chevy's, Dodges, GMC's. So, started researching when they dropped the manual I determined that it was 2003 as far as I can tell. Am I right or if I was to speak to a dealer can you still get a standard 1/2 ton. Thank guys.

Evs

EPNCSU2006 08-17-2006 07:31 AM

2004 was the first year a manual transmission wasn't available in the F150.

handyman43358 08-17-2006 07:39 AM

Which is exactly why you probably won't ever see me owning a 2004 and newer. I mean come on, at least make it an option.

VinTerCon 08-17-2006 08:20 AM

Ford does offer a manual trans option on its 4x2 XLT model. Dodge also offers 6 speed in some of its 1/2 tons, and i noticed chevy does not.

d_stange 08-17-2006 08:48 AM

i thought you could get an F150 XL with a 5 speed with the V6 engine. I thought i saw some advertised in the paper. They were 4x4 too. Maybe wrong i thought sure they were though.

EPNCSU2006 08-17-2006 09:25 AM

Ford's website lists a standard F150 with V6 and 5 speed (5 speed isn't available with either V8), so apparantly they brought it back. I'm pretty sure that the redesigned '04 F150 had no V6 option and no manual transmission option when it first came out.

d_stange 08-17-2006 11:29 AM

i also saw a 04 superduty F250 for sale on a lot with the 5.4 Triton and it had a six speed. I thought those were only avalible with the diesel.

d_stange 08-17-2006 11:34 AM

i just went on the cheby site and you can get the 1500 work truck package with a 5 speed in 4x4. Only with the 4.3l v6. Soon as you click on v8 you can only get an automatic. What the heck don't people like to jam gears anymore?

Fordman_Evs 08-17-2006 11:39 AM

Yeah I was just curious. I love driving stick, I did noticed that you could get V6 w/ standard trans. It seems that only the HD trucks or work trucks come standard. Oh well, I guess my next truck will F350 powerstroke...hahaha

d_stange 08-17-2006 11:42 AM

you can get a ram with the 4.7v8 and a 6 speed.

andym 08-17-2006 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by d_stange
What the heck don't people like to jam gears anymore?

No, they don't. Talk to any car salesman. Any truck or car with a manual won't sell nearly as quickly as the same truck with an automatic.

I think it has something to do with our society. Overseas this isn't a problem, but Americans by and large don't like to drive. You won't find any cupholders in a European car - and I mean by that one sold in Europe. A car is something you drive there, not something you eat in.

Driving is looked at completely differently there. We use it as a tool to go places, other countries actually enjoy the driving experience.

It sucks driving a stick and talking on the phone though - but it's a bad habit anyway.

KW160 08-17-2006 01:59 PM

I don't think there was a single year you couldn't get an F-150 with a manual. Even in 2004 you could get the old body style (F-150 Heritage) with a manual. However, I agree, only making it available in V6 regular cab configurations is very limiting.

d_stange 08-17-2006 02:13 PM

i know, i've talked to salesman they have said the same thing. When i down visting my fiance at the time, wife now, in the twin cities,(minnapolis,st.paul) i went to a big chevy dealer and walked through about 150 trucks, none of them had a maual, finally a salesman asked me if he could help me find something, i said do have any trucks with a manual tranny and said no they don't sell, he said they could speical order one if that's what i wanted. I said no jsut looking. i think you do get a better driving experiance with a manual in my opioun. And Andy youre right is hard to shift and talk at the same time. and trying to eat a sandwich and drink a pop put in a chew of cope while trying to shift and talk on the phone. J/K i don't do that.

woodzracer 08-17-2006 07:21 PM

Andy I couldn't agree more. Remember the good old days when people had pick up trucks because they served a purpose. You could haul or tow, run them off road or any combination thereof. Nowadays everyone has a pick up. They buy the "off road package" and wash it every time the wind blows. That truck will never see off road. And hauling, these people think bopping down to Home Depot for a gallon of paint is a big load so I gotta' take my truck. I can remember when SUV meant Bronco or Blazer and you only had them when you wanted to go four wheelin but needed a place for the kids to sit. I'll be really glad when something else becomes trendy and popular so we can have our trucks back...........:mad:

RangerPilot 08-17-2006 07:59 PM

The Silverado is available with a stick, but V6 only.

I hate that, it should be an option with all the engines in my opinion. I'm not saying keep them on the lot, but at least give us the option if we so desire.

I remember the Exploder used to be available with a manual. Not anymore. The fullsize trucks, all require tiny engines and basic packages to have the option. I don't think it'd be possible to get a 4x4 stick from any of them.

When we went to Europe last summer I ended up driving the rental car...my parents both have autos.