Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Brake Light Switch Stock 6 Volt (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/518374-brake-light-switch-stock-6-volt.html)

5 Star 08-15-2006 09:24 PM

Brake Light Switch Stock 6 Volt

Does any one have any input on this topic?

A friend of mine was told by another guy that the Halogen Bulbs that are recomended by various parts sources to be used in the Panel Trucks, can burn out your Brake Light Switch.

I recently bought a pair of these 6 Volt Lamps for a friend of mine as his Tail Lights were very dim at night. These were a great addition to his vehicle and work just fine, and now his Ride can be seen by others.

He was recently told by another that they will burn out Brake Light Switches. I myself can't see why, but is it possible?
:-X22

ALBUQ F-1 08-15-2006 09:32 PM

Unless the halogens are a much higher wattage, I can't see how they would affect the brake light switch or the turn signal switch. Are these halogens made specifically for 6v? Halogens are very voltage sensitive. If the rest of the system is not 100%, especially grounds, they won't last.

5 Star 08-16-2006 09:11 AM

I got these from Nifty Fifties, and their catalogue, although I don't have it right in front of me to read word for word. States that these are recomended for the Panel Trucks with the metal caseing and glass lens. Not recomended for plastic lens tail lights, because of heat generated, from these lamps.

Also yes they are made for the 6 Volt powered systems. Most of the early Panel trucks that I can remember "Ford", used the same lamp as the 41 Ford car, right on into the fiftys.

I bought these lights for use on a 46-48 Ford car. These lights are basically the same construction as the panel Trucks, with a slightly minor lens and body design, both have the steel body and glass lens.

286merc 08-16-2006 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 5 Star
I got these from Nifty Fifties, and their catalogue, although I don't have it right in front of me to read word for word. States that these are recomended for the Panel Trucks with the metal caseing and glass lens. Not recomended for plastic lens tail lights, because of heat generated, from these lamps.

Also yes they are made for the 6 Volt powered systems. Most of the early Panel trucks that I can remember "Ford", used the same lamp as the 41 Ford car, right on into the fiftys.

I bought these lights for use on a 46-48 Ford car. These lights are basically the same construction as the panel Trucks, with a slightly minor lens and body design, both have the steel body and glass lens.

First, turn off the bold type, we aint blind or deaf!

Halogens run higher wattage but that shouldnt bother the old style MS mounted switch as they are plenty beefy internally. At least good ones from Standard are, cant say about cheappo imports.