Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Time for another club FTE membership giveaway (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/514796-time-for-another-club-fte-membership-giveaway.html)

monsterbaby 08-03-2006 02:41 PM

Time for another club FTE membership giveaway

It's too quiet in here so I figure maybe this will get atleast some posting going on.
Ok for a few rules here, this is a contest that will involve voting by the rest of the group, and the voting can be by anyone on FTE. But until Aug 6th it will be reserved for Iowa chapter members only (they don't hve to live in Iowa but must be a chapter member) If I don't have atleast 5 entries by then I will open it up to anyone as long as they are not currently a club member. The idea is to get new club members on board with it so they can see what it's all about at my expense. the applications will close by Aug 6th or once we have atleast 5 whichever comes last, if we end up with more than 10 I will choose which ones to put into the poll.
So here is the contest, I want the best improper use of a tool, good description is required pictures will help. Remember others will be voting on this so the better your description the better your chances will be. Anything goes for this (as long as it's FTE appropriate of coarse). An example of what I am looking for would be using a screwdriver to stir your soup, or cooking a steak with a propane torch, or just using a particular tool for an application that it is not intended for. Listing possible consiquences will help your chances too expecially if you can prove you suffered some or all of said consequences.

fellro86 08-06-2006 10:39 PM

Hmmm, doesn't look too much like got any bites.. I've been known to use a cutting torch as a cigarette lighter... but don't put me in the contest, got a few years before my membership expires...

FarmForward 08-08-2006 11:08 AM

This you're asking a farmer??? Read on...

I've done the "torch as a lighter" thing, like fellro described.

Used coins as screwdrivers, fuses, spacers, and once in a great while even for money!

Wired together a tie rod end with baling wire... not for a temporary fix, but weeks at a time. (I don't really recommend this one!)

Used pliers to turn steaks and brats on the grill... before the Johnsonville Brats commercial came out.

Used a "Men At Work" sign (hey, I found it and tried to give it back, but no one seemed to want it and the cops said I could have it) as a sunshade on a tractor. It worked pretty good, too.

Rigged a handheld spotlight to my truck to stand in for a broken headlight, and a piece of woven wire fence to protect the radiator after my encounter with the deer last April (both since fixed with the correct components).

And about a million different uses for duct tape, WD-40, baling wire, and my Gerber multi-tool.

You know what they say... Poor folks have poor ways. I for one am in wholehearted agreement.

ChurchTurtle 08-17-2006 03:07 PM

I'm already in this chapter, so I don't think I'm elegible. Anyhow, how about a piece of plumbers tape (example: http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...ishop/3084.jpg )
with some super glue to hold my glasses together. Worked for a few days until I got them replaced.

fellro86 08-17-2006 08:20 PM

I would say you are eligible, just that it got opened up to anyone after the first few days..

monsterbaby 08-17-2006 08:27 PM

Well I need more than 2. if I don't get some more in a couple days I may just make a decision on my own.

truckertaz 08-17-2006 08:48 PM

I built a motorcycle trailer from things I found in the trash HERE is a picture of it :-wink

monsterbaby 08-17-2006 09:00 PM

Now that is a great motorcylce trailer but yours is more good use of junk instead of misuse of tools.

yamaweezle 08-17-2006 10:39 PM

does using countless amounts of shallow 3/4", 1/2 drive craftsman sockets for alternator spacers in any ford small block i've built count? :)

monsterbaby 08-17-2006 10:41 PM

Now that would count, but of coarse pictures help

fellro86 08-17-2006 10:43 PM

Hmm, extensions as drivers, instead of drifts, sockets for driving u-joints... bring any ideas out guys?

mistakenID 08-19-2006 05:41 AM

3/4 drive sockets and 6" extension work real good for driving in oil seals. I've used an engine hoist to pull fence posts and tree stumps (not big trees of course) Circular saw and abrasive blade cuts old cast pipe a lot cleaner than snap cutters.

I used the rubber end of a compression tester and large hose clamp to plug a hole in an air tank on my semi to get me back to town (long story) Not a tool but I used carmels (as in carmel candy) to plug a hole in a gas tank when I was kid. I have to wonder now why the gas did not dissolve the candy but it worked and got me back home.

jake00 08-19-2006 10:35 AM

I'm not eligible, but we are in the process of moving our wharehouse, I needed more room in the office to move stuff out the door, So, Instead of Taking our order countertop/desk apart, I cut it out with a chainsaw......

we then proceded to tear the office down with a forklift

helifixer 08-19-2006 10:58 AM

I am not sure but I might be the only person who uses the back side of a crescent wrench for a hammer, my Mac screw driver for chisel, just yesterday I couldn't find a hammer so once again I used the back side of my Makita cordless drill.

fellro86 08-19-2006 11:05 AM

Well, up to the cordless drill, I was "yep, done that..."