Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   New diesel owner w/ alt fuel question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/513894-new-diesel-owner-w-alt-fuel-question.html)

mongo75 07-31-2006 03:26 PM

New diesel owner w/ alt fuel question

Hi ya'll. I'm a US Marine helo mechanic, and we pull fuel samples (a quart) on up to 30 aircraft a day to check for water contamination. We run JP-5 and I was wondering if I can safely run it in my 99 7.3L Powerstroke. We usually dump the samples in our support gear that have diesels. ALSO, we pull hydraulic fluid samples, and use a petro based dry cleaing fluid called "PD-680" to thin it out so it'll go through a 5 micron filter. Can that be burned safely too? I know it'll be clean of anything up to 5 mic, so it should be ok. I'm looking for any advice to save money on my 100 mile a day commute! Semper FI.

Phydeaux88 07-31-2006 04:48 PM

From my USAF days I remember jet fuel (JP-4 back then) as being hi quality kerosene.

If JP-5 is essentially the same it should work.
Kerosene is essentially a 12 to 15 carbon long chain whereas Diesel is a 10 to 15 carbon lenght chain so kerosene is esentially a component of diesel.

I am not so sure about the hydraulic fluid and the dry cleaning fluid additive could cause problems with seals, gaskets, and fuel lines.

mongo75 07-31-2006 05:52 PM

Then is it possible to run straight kerosene in a diesel? I don't know the dangers to my system or what bad might happen, but I do know that kerosene is 40 cents cheaper LOL.

Phydeaux88 07-31-2006 07:50 PM

You should have no problem running kerosene, not sure of the lubricating qualities so you might want to use an additive or mix some Bio with it to boost lubricity.
Just don't get caught not paying road taxes, which interestingly enough run about $.40 per gal depending on what state you are in.

fabmandelux 07-31-2006 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mongo75
Then is it possible to run straight kerosene in a diesel? I don't know the dangers to my system or what bad might happen, but I do know that kerosene is 40 cents cheaper LOL.

Yes you can use Kerosene, but it MUST be mixed with D-1 or D-2. Kerosene has LESS lubericity than pure diesel, and will cause excessive IP wear. Up to about 75 percent Kerosene to 25 percent D-2 should be ok.

Used Hyd oil is a no no! If you did a chemical analysis on it you would find LOTS of heavy metals including Chromium, and acids. Not something you want to put in your IP or injectors!

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

mongo75 07-31-2006 08:44 PM

See now ya'll got me tempted to run 50/50 kero deisel mix, just to be cheap hehe. I gotta drive from NY to CA in about a week, so I can't afford to break anything, especially on my pay. I didn't join the USMC for the pay