Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   FE vs. FT (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/51162-fe-vs-ft.html)

richlars_7 11-19-2002 08:08 AM

FE vs. FT

What are the differences between the FE and FT engines? Will most parts interchange?

Rich
62 F-250;-)

Mike G 11-19-2002 10:58 AM

FE vs. FT

The way I understand it, the FT has additional support/webbing at the crank journalsand are usually 361 or 391 c.i. due to a minor difference in stroke. All parts should interchange as they are FE motors. Keep in mind however, I am no expert....

hawkrod 11-19-2002 11:19 AM

FE vs. FT

the main difference for prcatical application are the heads and exhaust manifolds (they have an extra port for the intake heat crossover and blocking it is not feasable), the distributor drive support is larger (but ford sell a bushing you can put into an FT block to use an FE distributor), and most importantly the front of the crank is larger in diameter so you must use the FT front timing cover and all the pulleys and accesories. FT's are not as common as most people seem to believe, are you looking at one? hawkrod

jowilker 11-19-2002 04:26 PM

FE vs. FT

Rich, May I suggest the FE forum, there are several topics there relating to your question. :-X06
http://www.clubfte.com/users/jowilker/USFlag.gif
John

jowilker email me
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/users/jowilker|My Club FTE Page] Member 0004 since 01 01

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

In the cool still quiet of night, you can hear chevies rusting away.

richlars_7 11-19-2002 11:25 PM

FE vs. FT

My main interst is in the mounting. I have a 390 that I want to put in place of my current 292. What interests me is using the front cover/motormount combination used on F-350's or bigger. So I am tryng to verify that it would work. It sounds like, from your input that the crank might be too small for the cover. But according to a cousin of mine this was a popular swap in the late 60's early 70's. So there must be a way of doing it.

FT's are not as common as most
>people seem to believe, are you looking at one? hawkrod

Rich
62 F-250:-X22

richlars_7 11-19-2002 11:27 PM

FE vs. FT

>Rich, May I suggest the FE forum, there are several topics
>there relating to your question. :-X06
Thanks John. Now I need to sound stupid, or more so than usual. IS that here at FTE or another site? I have seen an FE forum on another site but wasn't sure if that is what you are referring to.

Rich
62 F-250

jowilker 11-20-2002 05:48 AM

FE vs. FT

Hi Rich, In the next conference down the page Forums in Performance, Engine Building and Troubleshooting Conference you will find 332/352/360/390/406/410/427/428 FE V8 That is the FE forum here. The FT is the big truck version of the FE, it has some differences in exhaust manifolds, heads etc.

From your last post it seems that you are referring to a Y block engine and not a FT. The Y block preceeded the FE and was discontinued in the end of 64.

Let me offer another suggestion, look for a 65-72 truck that you can pick up for a song and put your sheet metal on that chassis. You will have the side mounts for your 352 or 390 engine, the I-beams for power disc brake, and power steering upgrade. Just a thought for making life simplier. :-X06
John

jowilker email me
[link:www.ford-trucks.com/users/jowilker|My Club FTE Page] Member 0004 since 01 01

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NCFTO] North Carolina Ford Truck Owners Group

richlars_7 11-21-2002 08:26 AM

FE vs. FT

>Hi Rich, In the next conference down the page Forums in
>Performance, Engine Building and Troubleshooting Conference
>you will find 332/352/360/390/406/410/427/428 FE V8 That is
>the FE forum here. The FT is the big truck version of the
>FE, it has some differences in exhaust manifolds, heads etc.
>
Thanks, John I will be heading that way very soon.

>From your last post it seems that you are referring to a Y
>block engine and not a FT. The Y block preceeded the FE and
>was discontinued in the end of 64.

What I currently have is a "Y" block 292. It has been a great engine and still runs great. I am the third owner of the truck and it has never been a daily driver. In fact I just turned the first 100K miles on it about two years ago and havent driven it much since then. But the old 292 just doesn't have the umph to pull my trailer over these Utah Mountains at a decent speed. I have had a 390 sitting on my engine stand for 15 years and finally decided now is the time to marry the two.

>Let me offer another suggestion, look for a 65-72 truck that
>you can pick up for a song and put your sheet metal on that
>chassis. You will have the side mounts for your 352 or 390
>engine, the I-beams for power disc brake, and power steering
>upgrade. Just a thought for making life simplier.

I had not even thought of this! This is a great idea! My sheet metal will really bolt onto up to a 72 frame with out a bunch of headaches? Now you really have me thinking!!! Dang I hate it when that happens.;-)
Rich
62 F-250:-X10

LxMan1 11-24-2002 12:20 AM

FE vs. FT

Just for the record, The truck enigines do have a larger crank snout as was stated earlier, they also have a larger flywheel hub in the rear. Yes you must use the big truck accessories as stated earlier too. A little known fact is that the 391 and 361 are actually 390 and 360CID. Ford just added the 1 to keep them from getting confused with the standard light truck/ car engines.
Jimmy

William 11-25-2002 06:37 AM

FE vs. FT

I'd rebuild the Y block 292 and install a shorter rear gear in the 62. Sounds like it is a truck that should be saved as is? Save the 390 for a 65 thru 79 F100. IMHO!
William in Atlanta

bnsf971 11-25-2002 05:33 PM

FE vs. FT

>Just for the record, The truck enigines do have a larger
>crank snout as was stated earlier, they also have a larger
>flywheel hub in the rear. Yes you must use the big truck
>accessories as stated earlier too. A little known fact is
>that the 391 and 361 are actually 390 and 360CID. Ford just
>added the 1 to keep them from getting confused with the
>standard light truck/ car engines.
> Jimmy
So what is a 330?
Terry
(in Florida)

LxMan1 11-25-2002 10:59 PM

FE vs. FT

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Nov-02 AT 00:00 AM (EST)] Never heard of that one. There is the 370 and 429 large truck engines as well, but they fall under the 385 series.

The only 330 that I know of is the new Modular Triton motor that is called the 5.4 in the new F-series trucks.

jowilker 11-26-2002 05:35 AM

FE vs. FT

Jimmy, The 330 MD & HD, along with the 359, 361, 389, & 391 are FT engines built on the same platform as the FE but used in the big trucks. :-X06
John

jowilker email me

richlars_7 11-27-2002 08:43 PM

FE vs. FT

I would agree but though the miles have not stacked up on this truck, mother nature has done her part to deteriorate it. Quite a lot of rust in the bottom of the cab. I'm not sure if there is enough value to do a restoration. And the main purpose for the truck is hauling my trailer around these Utah mountains. I would really like to have the extra power.

>I'd rebuild the Y block 292 and install a shorter rear gear
>in the 62. Sounds like it is a truck that should be saved
>as is? Save the 390 for a 65 thru 79 F100. IMHO!
>William in Atlanta

Rich
62 F-250

LxMan1 11-27-2002 10:13 PM

FE vs. FT

Thanks for the info, John. These must not be very common engines. I know of the 361 and 391 in the trucks as well as the 370 and 429 HD motors. I just hadn't heard of the others.
Jimmy