Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Code P1670 and no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/510056-code-p1670-and-no-start.html)

garndog 07-17-2006 07:45 PM

Code P1670 and no start

2001 7.3 Powerstroke was running just fine when parked. Turns over but does not start. Trouble code retrieved was P1670 using a Diablo Programmer/Reader but an Actron reader failed to retrieve any trouble code. Either way the truck won't start with no obvious reason as to why.

DavidT. 07-17-2006 07:53 PM

P1670 is EF Signal Not Detected. When my CPS was going bad, it threw that code along with P0344 which is the CPS circuit intermitten. Check your CPS, its common they go bad. When they go bad your truck won't start or runs rough/stalls.

garndog 07-17-2006 08:04 PM

Is there a way to check the CPS without just replacing it?

nodakford 07-17-2006 10:43 PM

DTC P1668 and P1670 indicates that a communication error has occurred between the PCM and the IDM.

Possible causes:

-- Open fuse

-- IDM relay

-- Open or shorted IDM enable circuit

-- Open/short in EF circuit

-- Open/short in FDCS circuit

-- IDM powering circuits

-- PCM

l Check for other codes.

l Key on, engine off.

l Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs.
If DTC P1298 is also present, REPLACE the IDM.

garndog 07-19-2006 06:04 AM

changed the CPS no help.messed around with plugs, wires, fuel lines ect. then the truck started out of no where. I was excited to say the least.shut it off ,tried again,started after a few seconds.cranked a bit longer than normal. I let it run for about 15 minutes to charge the batteries a little. Shut her down waited a little bit while i took care of the tools,thought i was good to go.tried again nothing .checked codes again P0603 power train control moduel keep alive error.and P1670 electronic feedback signal not detected..cleared codes and the bitch started. drove it home about 20 miles with no trobles. shut it down at home, no start again.way confused.could it be the glow plug relay? need some ideas.

nodakford 07-19-2006 09:49 AM

Most of the troubleshooting for this code were wiring or power. Check the fuse, wireing and relay for the IDM. Are you getting alot of white smoke on start up. If not then gp problems could be ruled out. Measure the voltage at the relay when the key is in the start position. Should read battery voltage. Unplug the valve harness and check the resistance of each glow plug,4 large pins, 2 on each end. Resistance shoulde be less the 2 ohms. Anything more then that glow plug is bad. This will rule out gp problems. The P0603 code I think is not uncommon with a programmer or chip.

garndog 07-19-2006 12:21 PM

OK,I dont know a lot about diesels yet so bare with me.is the fuse under the hood or in the cab for the IDM?and where is the IDM. no white smoke on start up.also where is the valve harness? is it on the drivers side above the valve cover?

nodakford 07-20-2006 10:20 AM

No white smoke on start, I would rule out a gp issue. the GP relay is under the engine cover behind the fuel filter bowl. It has a yellow wire on it. The valve cover harness are on the inside of the of both valve covers. The IDM fuse is #27 and it is under the hood. The relay is in the same spot 3rd from the top. If the vehicle is starting then I don't think the IDM fuse is blown. The relay maybe bad, it maybe sticking. The Injector Driver Module (IDM) provides an EF signal to the PCM which confirms that proper timing/duration of the PCM command was received by the IDM. The EF signal is also used to send diagnostic information about the IDM and fuel injector circuitry. This is why I think you may have a short somewhere or maybe a sticking relay.

garndog 07-20-2006 01:40 PM

fixed it the IDM was the problem. went to the junk yard got one for 75 bucks and she fired right up. not the easiest part to get to. Thank you for all the help i realy appreciate it.

chabmax 10-18-2010 01:07 AM

i have the same problem with my 2002 ford f350
i have a little problem to start, i may take a while to start but when i turn off, is the same dilema.
i already read all this messages but where is located the fuse box in my truck, i look under the hood and nothing maybe is located under the wheel

Aaron Reed 09-29-2017 04:16 PM

Its bc ur batteries r not putting out enough power to start the truck at the desired speed

Ur truck isn't staring bc its not turn g over fast enough or the isn't the correct amount of power coming from the batteries as is suppost to have when cranking the motor over, and the reason I say this is bc mine is doing the exact same thing right now as I'm typing this and until I put another new battery with the 1 new that's already on truck its going to keep throwi g the exact same code...

HD Rider 09-30-2017 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by chabmax (Post 9451896)
i have the same problem with my 2002 ford f350
i have a little problem to start, i may take a while to start but when i turn off, is the same dilema.
i already read all this messages but where is located the fuse box in my truck, i look under the hood and nothing maybe is located under the wheel

Under the wheel is close.
It's on the back of the inner fender well.