Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   F-250LD Front Rotors stuck! Help! 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/508765-f-250ld-front-rotors-stuck-help-4x4.html)

tommytorino 07-12-2006 11:43 PM

F-250LD Front Rotors stuck! Help! 4x4

Guys

Trying to replace the rotors on my 1999 F-250LD <7 lug> 4x4.

The rotors sure look like the hubless type but for the life of me I cant beat them off the hub! I tried to remove the axle nut and beat them and it looks like all Im doing is seperating the hub bearing.

Is this typical or have I missed something?? These are hubless rotors correct?

Thanks much

Tommy D

tommytorino 07-13-2006 12:20 AM

Ok I used a can and 1/2 of PB Blaster on the front rotors. Still beating them <and me> sensless with a BFH got me no where. No.. thats not true, I cracked the DS rotor.

Going to buckle it up for the night and drive it home <as long as I dont see sparks!>

If someone reads this who has done the 7 lug front <4x4> just let me know if its a typical hubless rotor.

Just unreal.... ya know??

Tommy D

tommytorino 07-13-2006 01:15 PM

Looking at the new rotors today <yes I made it home last night!> it looks almost like the wheel studs might press fit.

Guys Im really at a loss here. Do I drive the wheel studs in and then pull <hammer> the rotor off the hub?

Do I pull the hub/rotor intact?

Grrrrrrr

Tommy D

7700Rob 07-13-2006 01:30 PM

Nope, sounds like you've got stuckon rotors. The studs are part of the hub. All you need to remove is the tire, caliper and bracket. Maybe some heat, and a biggerfh. Best wishes, before you install the new rotors, slap some ecto-lube or anti-seize on the hub and the back side of the rotor. Same with the rears if you go there. Rob

kspilkinton 07-13-2006 11:52 PM

I can't help you on this one, Tommy. I have yet to replace the rotors, but it'll be soon.

My understanding is all 4x4 front discs on F150s/ 250LDs of this era are pressed to the hub. You have to remove hub and all.

I maybe incorrect, but what you have ran across makes it sound more like a fact.

-Kerry

yellow_jacket 07-14-2006 09:06 AM

Can you post a picture of the front and back of the rotor/hub assemblies?

7700Rob 07-14-2006 10:25 AM

It's simply rusted on bro. The lug nuts hold the rotor on the hub. Nothing is pressed anywhere. Where in NY are you? I wish I could come over and help. Pretty hot today though. Rob

tommytorino 07-14-2006 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 7700Rob
It's simply rusted on bro. The lug nuts hold the rotor on the hub. Nothing is pressed anywhere. Where in NY are you? I wish I could come over and help. Pretty hot today though. Rob

Long way from you! Down on Long Island.

Ill give it a shot again next week. Like I said from looking at the rotors they appear free floating. There is a countersunk portion of the new 7 lug rotors that looked like the wheel studs MIGHT press onto.

When I tell you I was beating the hell out of them, Im not kidding. The truck was up on a lift and I was useing a home made "short sledge" I used to get stuck DRW off GMC 3500HDs. Again I hit them hard enough to brake the inside portion of the driver side rotor.

Speaking to a Ford dealer mechanic <FWIW> he told me "have fun". Basically the last set he did took him 3 hrs and with lots of hammering and a torch he finally got them off.

No offence but Ford.... there has GOT to be a better way.

Tommy D

kspilkinton 07-14-2006 02:01 PM

Then these are like the rear discs, which I have had apart. The studs do press out or do what I did and get a block of wood and that mini sledge and knock them out. The better way you asked about comes after you get the mess separated. You put a coat of no-ox or anti-sieze between the hub/studs and the rotor where it slips on to prevent the stuff from corroding together, again.

I would have figured Dave would be in on this. Racerguy, any opions in the matter?

-Kerry

tommytorino 07-14-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by kspilkinton
The studs do press out or do what I did and get a block of wood and that mini sledge and knock them out.
-Kerry

Kerry

What you are saying goes against what the Ford tech said. Don't get me wrong I dont know if this guy knew beans about the 250LD but he indicated again it was a full floating rotor.

Perhaps <and I do mean perhaps Im not sure> I can beat the wheel studs back some with the rotor on the truck. Not all the way out mind you <pretty sure you cant>, but enough so that they are no longer pressed/snug into the rotor.

I really wish someone whom has broken down one of these Rotors would chime in.

Thanks

Tommy D

Greywolf 07-14-2006 06:59 PM

Have you tried the "CANDLE TRICK" on it yet?

If it works on THIS it will loosen anything....

bremen242 07-14-2006 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by tommytorino
Long way from you! Down on Long Island.

Ill give it a shot again next week. Like I said from looking at the rotors they appear free floating. There is a countersunk portion of the new 7 lug rotors that looked like the wheel studs MIGHT press onto.

When I tell you I was beating the hell out of them, Im not kidding. The truck was up on a lift and I was useing a home made "short sledge" I used to get stuck DRW off GMC 3500HDs. Again I hit them hard enough to brake the inside portion of the driver side rotor.

Speaking to a Ford dealer mechanic <FWIW> he told me "have fun". Basically the last set he did took him 3 hrs and with lots of hammering and a torch he finally got them off.

No offence but Ford.... there has GOT to be a better way.

Tommy D

if they are that stuck, your best bet is probably to slice them with a cutting disc. they aren't press on, just rusted. cut an X into the face of the rotor (becareful not to cut into the hub), and that should relieve some of the tension.

never-seize will be your friend when you put them back together.

tommytorino 07-14-2006 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Greywolf
Have you tried the "CANDLE TRICK" on it yet?

If it works on THIS it will loosen anything....

What in Gods Name is the Candle Trick? :-D

Tommy D

bremen242 07-14-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tommytorino
What in Gods Name is the Candle Trick? :-D

Tommy D

heat it up with a propane torch until it gets hot, then melt a candle into the crack

tommytorino 07-14-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bremen242
if they are that stuck, your best bet is probably to slice them with a cutting disc. they aren't press on, just rusted. cut an X into the face of the rotor (becareful not to cut into the hub), and that should relieve some of the tension.

never-seize will be your friend when you put them back together.

Knowing myself and a wiz-wheel thats not really an option. That is if I dont want to buy hub bearings after I wizzz right through them! :-D

Understood about the sliver slop <never sieze> we use it all the time at work. We also service Jeep Cherokees at work. These 4x4's LIVE on the beach <read salt water> and Ill say it again, I have never seen a rotor "stuck" like on my Ford.

Oh well sounds like its all over but the cryin'. I just hope your right and the wheel studs are NOT pressed into the rotors!

Tommy D