Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   cleaning bio diesel question. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/499280-cleaning-bio-diesel-question.html)

monsterbaby 06-08-2006 11:26 AM

cleaning bio diesel question.

This is mainly for fab, and just an idea, that I don't know the answer too. I know you settle yours, and others wash, both ways have thier own issues as everyone knows but I got to thinking about this earlier today. Since the soaps will settle out over time, wouldn't it be possible to clean the bio by running it in some type of centrifuge? I know one of the other reasons for using water to wash it, is to get rid of extra menthonal, well heating it and spinning it would do both at the same time. I am not sure what the added electricity costs would be but I don't imagine it would be any worse then the cost of the amount of water that is used to wash it.
Just a thought, wondered what your opinion on this was or if anyone had ever tried it.

fabmandelux 06-08-2006 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
This is mainly for fab, and just an idea, that I don't know the answer too. I know you settle yours, and others wash, both ways have thier own issues as everyone knows but I got to thinking about this earlier today. Since the soaps will settle out over time, wouldn't it be possible to clean the bio by running it in some type of centrifuge? I know one of the other reasons for using water to wash it, is to get rid of extra menthonal, well heating it and spinning it would do both at the same time. I am not sure what the added electricity costs would be but I don't imagine it would be any worse then the cost of the amount of water that is used to wash it.
Just a thought, wondered what your opinion on this was or if anyone had ever tried it.

Rob, You missed an earlier post. The new plant I'm building will use 3 hydrocyclones to do just that. The Bio will go to a hydrocyclone after mixing to remove the glycerol then to a 24hr holding tank. Then 24 hr later it will go through 2 more hydrocyclones in series and then to a magnesol mixing tank. The hydrocyclones will reduce the amount of Magnesol needed by half, and the fuel is usable within 48 hours!

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

bhiggins 06-09-2006 10:53 AM

would a hydrocyclone be able to remove water from bio. for drying for example?

so the 2 hydrocyclones in series actually spin the SOAP out of the settled bio?

do you have your plans for building a hydorcyclone up yet?

HIggins

fabmandelux 06-09-2006 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by bhiggins
would a hydrocyclone be able to remove water from bio. for drying for example?

so the 2 hydrocyclones in series actually spin the SOAP out of the settled bio?

do you have your plans for building a hydorcyclone up yet?

HIggins

I have'nt tried them with water, but I don't think it would work very well. They are so close in weight and the water would tend to form an emulsion when pumped.

The twin hydrocyclones should remove enough to reduce the amount of Magnesol required.

I am still refining my hydrocyclone to increase efficiency, so I'm not quite ready to post the plans yet.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire