Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   A/C Blower Motor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/492419-a-c-blower-motor.html)

RedBoat 05-15-2006 08:22 AM

A/C Blower Motor

I have a 94 Ranger 2.3L 4 cyl and the a/c blower works on all the speeds but does not blow very hard at all. The blower on my 92 explorer blows harder on the second position than the ranger does on high. I have only had this truck for 2 months and dont know what to expect. Is a weak blower typical of a ranger or is mine just getting weak. It seems to be turning freely. Is a new blower motor a dealer type item? Is it possible to get a motor like the one in my 92 explorer and "bolt it in" the ranger. These Houston summers are HOT and its not even summer yet!

tomw 05-16-2006 05:52 AM

You can get a replacement motor from most auto parts stores. The aftermarket motors will come without the connector, which you will have to solder/shrink tube together or use compression fittings.
I don't know the amp draw, but you could look it up to see if your motor is drawing correct amperage. THe brushes could be worn out, thus not allowing for proper operation. I had one just die on a 500 mile trip... Replacement was about $30. Brushes were worn out... After 200,000 miles.
See if the output increases when you put the A/C on 're-circ'. You should be able to find the blower intake under the glove box and see/hear it in action. If the outside intake were plugged, using re-circ would show a *significant* increase.
tom

RangerPilot 05-16-2006 07:23 AM

The Exploder and Ranger use the same blower motor to the best of my knowledge. Either the motor itself is going (quite probable with high mileage) or you have a wiring problem. If this has gradually onset...it's more than likely the motor.

RP
Zach

PSKSAM2 05-16-2006 08:21 AM

Are your lights dimmer than you'd expect? Maybe your alternator isn't generating enough voltage to drive the motor to full speed?

Also check for a blockage that could be stopping the blower from sucking/blowing air.

-Jim

pawpaw 05-17-2006 06:31 AM

The Rangers blower motor isn't wimpy at all, so something is amiss !!!!

I like the ckeck list so far & would add, check the blower motor speed resistor pack, located under hood, in the air duct.
Look for a loose or corroded electrical connector, or wire connections, or open wire wound resistor/s. in the pack.

I'd also check the in dash control panel wiring & switches, looking for loose, corroded or broken electrical plug wire strands at the connections. Also check the motors ground connection, all connections must be clean, bright & tight.

It may just be a worn out motor or stopped up air duct, as has been suggested, so without some further checks, it's going to be difficult to narrow it down more.

RedBoat 05-17-2006 07:00 AM

Tomw, Using the recirc does not show a significant increase so I dont think stoppage is the problem.
I will check the motor speed resistor pack as pawpaw suggested. If it were the resistor pack wouldnt one of the speeds not work at all?
PKSSAM alternator output is ok idiot gauge shows normal reading and battery was just replaced because it was 5 yrs old and getting tired and it did not make a difference.
As I said the blower motor on my 92 explorer on position 2 blows harder than the ranger on max. I will check further and post with results. Thanks to all for suggestions so far!

pawpaw 05-17-2006 09:33 AM

Well Red Boat, IF a particular wire resistor were open circuit, the blower motor wouldn't run in that speed position.

BUT, if you have a poor/loose, or corroded, high resistance electrical connection, at the resistor pack, it'll affect blower motor speed by further dropping the motors operating voltage.

The resistor pack is a good place to take a peek, as it's often a trouble spot on blower motor speed problems, as it constantly heats up & cools down.

So if you don't find any suspicious electrical problems externally at the connector & it's socket/lugs, or with the wiring, pull the resistor pack & have a look see inside at the rivet connections to the resistor string. There shouldn't be any corrosion or rust & the connections should be tight.

If things look ok there, you could try applying 12 volts directly to the blower motor for a brief time, with heavy gauge jumper leads, or even a battery charger & see if it's speed picks up. If so, pull the in dash control pannel & have a look at it's electrical connector & inernal electrical connections.
If you don't find anything there, try applying a good ground to the blower motor & see if that wakes it up. If so you'll have to go to the motors ground point & see what gives there.

From your description of it being slow on all speeds, it sounds like the motor is bad or you have a high resistance electrical connection somewhere in it's circuit.

Let us know what you find.

RedBoat 06-04-2006 10:50 PM

finally found the problem

This weekend was Ranger weekend!! After checking the resistor pack and all the dash swich connections I removed the blower motor. When I took it out I cound see there was almost nothing left of the brushes on the motor so I replaced it. And I now have a much stronger amount from the vents. I also had a small leak in the a/c system at one of the connections (kept having to add a can of freon every 2 weeks)so I replaced all the o-rings throughout the system and the orfice tube, evacuated the system and recharged with 22 ozs R-134A and 8 ozs oil. The a/c clutch was getting weak and after it got warm it would not stay engaged so I replaced the a/c clutch assy also. The fuel guage was always reading empty so I bought the 5.00 float from the local ford dealer unbolted the bed moved it back and pulled the sender assy and replaced the fuel filled cracked float so now I have a fully functioning fuel guage. Sure sounds like a few quick projects but it ended up taking me all weekend. Thanks to all for suggestions on things to check. RedBoat