Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance & Dress-Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum71/)
-   -   How to rejuvinate rubber seals? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/492227-how-to-rejuvinate-rubber-seals.html)

Raptor 05-14-2006 03:05 PM

How to rejuvinate rubber seals?

What's the best products / methods you've for rejuvinating rubber door seals, etc?

Dr. Detail 06-13-2006 01:43 AM

Hi

The best I've found is Meguiars #40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Protectant. It's a great penetrant for rubber. You can put it on your tires and watch it soak in. I like to spray it liberally on to rubber parts and let it soak. They look like new and live a lot longer. You can also cut a sponge in the shape you need to apply it just to the part and avoid the paint. It won't hurt paint but why go there?

Visit my website for more info and products www.drdetailforless.com

Thanx for listening

Rosie 06-13-2006 11:30 AM

How about tire rubber cleaner? If it works on your tires why wouldn't it work on rubber door seals? Just spray on the cloth you plan to use and rub the cloth on the seals. This way the tire spray will go where you want it. Make sure the rubber seals are clean first before applying the protectant.

Frrt 07-13-2006 04:11 PM

I tried silicone spray on my weatherstripping and it seemed to have treated them well....then I looked at the rag and saw my reef blue paint on it. ouch. i'll go back to a thin layer of vaseline or something

wickymustang 07-13-2006 08:25 PM

So does tire shine, the stuff that makes the tires all shiny and wet looking protect the rubber at all or no? Cuz I've heard a few guys use it on their tires and all other rubber and seals.

Sparky6 07-13-2006 08:44 PM

I use Adam’s V.R.T it's water-based, and contains no harmful solvents, silicone or alcohol. They have V.R.T in& out spray too!

TNTi 07-20-2006 10:09 AM

Had a leaky sun roof one time and a shade tree mechanic told me to put glycerin (sp?) on the rubber seal. It worked like a charm.

You can buy the stuff over the counter at any drug store.

ford_mudd_runner 07-20-2006 06:11 PM

i work at a detailing shop and we use out tire dressings on everthing rubber and any black rubber trim. works grate ,shines nice and if any dirt is stained on it the dressig hides it very well.

you probley cant get the tire dressing we use but you could probley use any tire dressing.

TruckDaddy 07-21-2006 08:34 AM

The best thing to use is dielectric grease, seriously. You can get a little tube of it at any automotive store. Many of my Corvette brothers use it as well as I.

furball69 07-21-2006 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Frrt
I tried silicone spray on my weatherstripping and it seemed to have treated them well....then I looked at the rag and saw my reef blue paint on it. ouch. i'll go back to a thin layer of vaseline or something

Vaseline is a petroleum product; I wouldn't use it on any rubber pieces.