Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Heater core replacement for 1983 Ford F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/483387-heater-core-replacement-for-1983-ford-f-150-a.html)

Frenchy 04-14-2006 09:13 AM

Heater core replacement for 1983 Ford F-150

Hi Everyone!

Long time no talk!?! I have a problem? My heater core off of my 1983 Ford half ton is starting to leak antifreeze because I can smell a distinct odor coming from my defrost vents? I'd like to replace it myself with a new one!?! Can anyone tell me the steps to take in order to replace it? Does anyone know of a website that has diagrams or explains in detail how to replace a heater core? Thank-you!!

81-F-150-Explorer 04-14-2006 02:07 PM

We need to know if the truck has A/C or if you got a high output heater.

If you got a standard heater without A/C it's pretty simple to do.

1. Disconect battery ground.
2. Disconect temperature door cable
3. Disconect wires from blower resistor and motor.
4. Drain Radiator enough to remove heater hoses. Be a good time to drain and flush cooling system.
5. From inside, (you can remove the dash pad, and glove box, for easier clearence) remove the nuts holding the heater case. about 3 or 4 of them.
6. remove the screw on the left side of the heater case that holds it to the firewall. Remove the heater case.
7. Remove the several screws that hold the heater case and the core frame and firewall seal together. about 10 in all more or less.
8. install in reverse order. making sure to adjust the heater control cables, and filling the radiator and checking for leaks.

I have heater diagrams in my gallery.

Frenchy 04-14-2006 02:59 PM

Thanks 81-F-150-Explorer!!

I have a high output heater WITHOUT A/C!! Thanks for helping me out here!! You said that you have heater diagrams in your gallery? Where exactly in your gallery do I find them? How do I get to your gallery? Thank-you!!

81-F-150-Explorer 04-14-2006 05:37 PM

Ok, all you have to do is click on my screen name on any post, and my gallery is down to the bottom of the page. I'm not sure if I have a high output heater diagram in there however.

Since you have a High output heater, the heater core is on the inside of the truck instead of outside like on the standard heater.

Do as follows..

1. remove battery neg cable from battery.

2. Drain coolant from radiator, etc...

3> Disconect the heater hoses.

4. Remove the glove box, and Dash pad for clearence.

5. Remove the heater core cover from inside the passenger compartment, 7 screws. Disconnect the vaccume source, but leave it attached to the cover. Remove cover.

6. remove the heater core from the heater assymbly.

7. install in reverse order. fill radiator, and all that good stuff, check for leaks.

Hope this helps.

82F100SWB 04-14-2006 05:54 PM

Actually, a High-Output heater is exactly the same as a standard heater. Only AC and Comfort Vent heater trucks have it inside the cab. Basicly if you only have heat and defrost, your heater core is outside the cab. If you have dash vents, your heater core is inside.

81-F-150-Explorer 04-15-2006 01:57 AM

Perhaps I was confusing the comfort heaters with High output?

I thought High Output Heaters was like the A/C units, except without the a/c components.

Well, learn something new...

Anyway one of those procedures will work for you.

whodat54321 04-19-2006 01:54 PM

and if you don't have the time to fix it, and need to stop that leak now, just bypass the thing by
running the hose off the water pump back to the motor with a backflush tee.