Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   2002 F150 Manual Transmission Issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/481985-2002-f150-manual-transmission-issue.html)

kwsbrother 04-10-2006 09:36 AM

2002 F150 Manual Transmission Issue

Hello,

I have a 2002 F150 with the V6 and manual transmissions (has 68k miles). Sometime before Christmas (just happened once) my clutch went to the floor with the greatest of ease and I couldn't get the truck into gear. The clutch peddle came off the floor to it's normal location though. I tried it again and the truck went into gear and has driven normal until yesterday. That's when something similar to the above mentioned happened again.

I went to get in my truck yesterday, pushed in the clutch like I normally do and the tension was fine on it. The truck was in gear even though I had the clutch pushed in. When I turned the truck over it sounded like my battery was dead except my truck tried to creep forward, which I figured it was because my clutch wasn't working. I left off the clutch and it came back to the normal position but when I pushed it down this time it went down with no tension and came back to it normal location after I left it up. If the truck is running and I push the clutch in I can't get it to go into gear, but if the truck is off I can shift it through the whole range of gears including reverse. I also had a little fluid leaking along the seal where the transmission bolts to the motor. THIS HAS NEVER happened before.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Is it the master or slave cyclinder? By the way, what does each of these cyclinder do? Any help is appreciated before I have it towed to a repair shop.

Thank you in advance!!!

please 04-10-2006 11:12 AM

Check your master cyclinder to see if its full and I would say your slave cyclinder is going bad it may have a small leak. You can go under your truck a see if its leaking there is a little rubber inspection cover your slave is what makes your truck go in to gears when your driveing. Good luck.

bigdaddyII 04-10-2006 12:01 PM

Vote #2 for the slave cylinder. These things are notorious for ruining a good day. Inspect your clutch material as well, if it is worn enough or if that slave threw oil on it you might want to replace the clutch as well, the tranny has to slide back to get at the slave cylinder.

northernowl 04-10-2006 12:20 PM

Vote # 3 for the slave cylinder. I had the same issue that you have. It will only get worse the more you use the clutch. If you are going to do the work you self you will need a buddy to do most of the work. I would suggest you pay the higher price for the Ford orginal part vs. the aftermarket parts. I had nearly 150K on an orginal slave cylinder.

kwsbrother 04-10-2006 02:06 PM

The third time is the charm

Thank you to the 3 of you for your input. I greatly appreciate it!!! I've already talked to a garage and they said it sounded like either a master or slave cyclinder or both.

Since I lack the background when it comes to working on vehicles I posted here to to make sure I wasn't getting the shaft. I also liked seeing the comment to check the clutch if it was the slave cyclinder. The garage said they would check the clutch if they determined it was the slave cyclinder after they inspect my truck.

Again, thank you!!!

PS - I sure hope I get the milage out of my truck like BigDaddyII and Northernowl!

rxdawg 04-10-2006 05:36 PM

Agreed on the slave cylinder, mine went bad at around 90,000. It and a clutch replacement was around $600.