Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   New GM 6.2L Vortec (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/478439-new-gm-6-2l-vortec.html)

bronco351 03-30-2006 07:01 PM

New GM 6.2L Vortec

HI Guys,

I was just on cadillac.com and saw the new 6.2L V8 thay have stuffed between the escalades fenders.

This new 6.2L makes a whopping.....403hp and 412 lb-ft torque!!! :-X14

I was very impressed to see GM stepping up with a new high powered motor. I currently drive an 05 dodge ram with the Hemi,which makes 345hp/375tq. If GM puts that motor in the 1/2 ton I might just have to sell my Ram :-X06

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not GM will be putting that engine in there 1/2 ton trucks?

tmyers 03-30-2006 07:40 PM

The big reason I think you seeing GM stepping up the HP wars is because of there new tranny. The 6L80 tranny is a monster. It is going to go into everything from the Vette to the trucks. It can handle 520lbs of torque, has a first gear of 4.02 and 0.67 6th.

It is only a matter of time before we see this motor and tranny in the pickups. I also expect to see the LS7 in a SS version of the 1/2 ton some time in the future.

polarbear 03-30-2006 07:44 PM

You won't see that motor in the 1/2T- the 6.0 Vortex-Maxx already outpowers the Hemi. :-D The 6.2 is likely to replace the 8.1 in the 3/4-1T models when the GMT900 is introduced this winter.

From Chevy website:

Thundering 345 horsepower @ 5200 rpm
HEMI-beating 380 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm(1)
10,000 lbs. of towing capacity(1) — the most towing capacity of any half-ton pickup on the road(1)
Vortec Max V8 Engine Features:

More horsepower than Ford, Toyota, and Nissan half-ton pickups(2)
More torque and trailering capacity than a Dodge HEMI(2)
Vortec Max Performance Pack(3) includes Ride Control Suspension, a 9.5-inch axle, automatic locking rear differential, and a Heavy-Duty Trailering Package.
Deep inside the combustion chamber of Vortec engines, a ferocious vortex is created to generate a better fuel-to-air mixture.
A high-capacity cast-iron crankshaft with undercut and rolled fillets. And to help reduce stress, the crankshaft is internally balanced.
High-flow cast-aluminum cylinder heads that feature a low-friction roller-rocker valvetrain
Electronic Throttle Control to help achieve optimum vehicle performance and efficiency
A Powertrain Control Module that continuously measures input to achieve optimized engine performance and smooth transmission shifts
Coil-near-plug ignition system for a precise delivery of high-energy spark
When included in the Vortec Max Performance Pack.
Based on 2005 competitive information.
Available on select Half-Ton LT models.

92f150I6 03-30-2006 09:06 PM

The new engine seems great, but still doesn't out do the 6.1 Hemi. Too bad dodge hasn't put that in trucks yet.

cds 03-30-2006 09:51 PM

Did GM finally get rid of the CSK problems they had with the earlier models?? I drove a 2004 Silverado Ext. cab 2wd with the 4.8 motor in it as a rental a few years ago. It was quite noisy on cold starts but it made alot of power if you revved it out. Seemed to make more power than my Expy by the seat of the pants. It really sucks to have something make all that power and have the computer shut it down at 98mph..... I know that is lock-up speeding but it seems so easy to do. :-D

bronco351 03-30-2006 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by polarbear
You won't see that motor in the 1/2T- the 6.0 Vortex-Maxx already outpowers the Hemi. :-D

From Chevy website:

Thundering 345 horsepower @ 5200 rpm
HEMI-beating 380 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm(1)
10,000 lbs. of towing capacity(1) — the most towing capacity of any half-ton pickup on the road(1)
Vortec Max V8 Engine Features:

More horsepower than Ford, Toyota, and Nissan half-ton pickups(2)
More torque and trailering capacity than a Dodge HEMI(2)

The 6.0 L Max only outpowers the HEMI by 5lb-ft tq. Which isnt a big deal at all. But when you look at how the Hemi is built, also considering its smaller in displacement it is a much better performing motor which I beleive will out perform the Max any day. THe hemi is 345 CID which means it produces 1 hp PER CUBIC INCH. The 6.0 cant say that.

The Hemi uses slipper type pistons with rings only 3mm from the top of the piston. This is usually only used in race motors. Also in common with race engines is that the hemi uses a reservoir groove beneath the top ring to reduce the pressure beween ring 1 and 2. the connecting rods are built with a process called powder metallurgy first used by porsche. This means a lighter rod with tighter tolerances.

The heads use 2" intake valves and 1.55" exhaust valves and a full roller set up. The valves are tested to 6200 rpm but are shown to with stand more. Also the crankshaft uses cross bolted mains. the head has also been shown to flow better than an LS6 head.

In my opinion the Hemi is designed to perform and really the 6.0 has no chance to outperform the hemi. Now the 6.2L might just put the hemi to sleep.

polarbear 03-30-2006 11:22 PM

CSK? Gonna hafta 'splain that.

On the topic of Cadillac and Horsepower (notice how often those two words get used together lately?), this little jewel was spotted in Michigan recently.

Linky

That is a Cadillac CTS- Super-V, with a 505HP 7.0 L V8 (you Z06 fans know that motor). Before you say, "yeah, but it's still just a Caddy," keep in mind this thing has the potential to own anything with the "M" or "AMG" badges on it. This is what I keep railing to my Ford guys about- the comeback trail is a road that runs around the expected players, with different thinking and some guts.

That car summarily dispenses with Hemi think and goes after the heavyweights- the V8/10/12 bangers in the Eurosleds. Dang, it could have almost come from Oz. :-D

DOHCmarauder 03-30-2006 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by bronco351
The 6.0 L Max only outpowers the HEMI by 5lb-ft tq. Which isnt a big deal at all. But when you look at how the Hemi is built, also considering its smaller in displacement it is a much better performing motor which I beleive will out perform the Max any day. THe hemi is 345 CID which means it produces 1 hp PER CUBIC INCH. The 6.0 cant say that.

The Hemi uses slipper type pistons with rings only 3mm from the top of the piston. This is usually only used in race motors. Also in common with race engines is that the hemi uses a reservoir groove beneath the top ring to reduce the pressure beween ring 1 and 2. the connecting rods are built with a process called powder metallurgy first used by porsche. This means a lighter rod with tighter tolerances.

The heads use 2" intake valves and 1.55" exhaust valves and a full roller set up. The valves are tested to 6200 rpm but are shown to with stand more. Also the crankshaft uses cross bolted mains. the head has also been shown to flow better than an LS6 head.

In my opinion the Hemi is designed to perform and really the 6.0 has no chance to outperform the hemi. Now the 6.2L might just put the hemi to sleep.

Decent enough post.............but please use the LS6 specs and get back to us... :-D

polarbear 03-31-2006 12:23 AM

It's not fair....... oh, OK- but we'll use the LS2

"This aluminum–block powerplant, standard in Corvette coupe and convertible, produces 400 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 400 lb.–ft. of torque @ 4400 rpm. Yet the LS2 engine achieves a remarkable EPA estimated MPG 18 city and 28 highway with the standard six-speed manual transmission. (Even with its performance, the engine does not incur a federal government gas-guzzler penalty.)"

tmyers 03-31-2006 12:44 AM

It's not fair....... oh, OK- but we'll use the LS2

"This aluminum–block powerplant, standard in Corvette coupe and convertible, produces 400 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 400 lb.–ft. of torque @ 4400 rpm. Yet the LS2 engine achieves a remarkable EPA estimated MPG 18 city and 28 highway with the standard six-speed manual transmission. (Even with its performance, the engine does not incur a federal government gas-guzzler penalty.)"

And those figures are low. I have yet on a trip to get less than 28.5. I have yet to get less than 18.9 around town. The one tank that has been below that was 17.9 and half that tank was a day spent at the race track. Oh and this is with an automatic.

mschultz 03-31-2006 06:02 PM

keep in mind this thing has the potential to own anything with the "M" or "AMG" badges on it.

Hey polarbear:

Your statement makes sense only if you think the Germans are going to stand still. And everyone in the business ought to know better than to think that those folks are just sitting back and resting. Right now they are dropping 600 HP in a car the mistress can use as a daily runabout in Beverly Hills. And remember, that is in a car that feels like a soild vault at 120+.

Still- it is very impressive how GM continues to pull big numbers from their engines.

-Mike

remf 03-31-2006 07:19 PM

(So if I want a fuel efficient 2 seater? I should look at a Vette?)( is csk cold start knock?)

cds 03-31-2006 08:17 PM

That is correct Cold Start Knock. My boss has a 2006 Silvy Crew cab with the 5.3 but I have not heard it start cold yet. I was just wondering.

tmyers 03-31-2006 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by remf
(So if I want a fuel efficient 2 seater? I should look at a Vette?)( is csk cold start knock?)

IMO, yep. I call it my economy car. Both the C5 and C6 get some great mileage numbers considering they can run over 160MPH.

edgeoffroad04 03-31-2006 09:58 PM

I am studying to become an ME at Mighigan State University, GM powertrain decided to bring 5 CTS-Vs and the 2 door model? cant remember the name in early fall last year, they gave us a low down on the new 4.4 SC V8 in those cars and their new 6 speed. These cars were so new even the mags hadnt seen them yet and the 4.4 was still rumors. And WOW! that car is noo slouch! they gave us test rides and I couldnt stop grinning for weeks, the only thing that impressed me more was when ford brought a GT...that is one amazing car! but yea, those caddys better be good, they are gonna sell for approx 60 plus they said, w/ 5 grand in the leather interior alone. Caddilac deffintely has a great line of cars right now..hopefully ford can figure things out with lincoln and get them back in better financial business.
Edgeoffroad04