Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Consumer Reports Bias (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/467498-consumer-reports-bias.html)

CTford 03-01-2006 05:44 PM

Consumer Reports Bias

For those of you with any doubt/question as to whether or not Consumer Reports is biased towards Japanese vehicles, this should change your mind. For those of you (us) who know about this bias, this confirms your (our) point.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/01/Auto...icks/index.htm

BTW, being built in the U.S. does not make it an "American" car.

73Fastbackv10 03-01-2006 05:51 PM

Yeah, we know the Ridgeline is reliable from the airbag problem. Subaru Forrester? Whatever. The Highlander Hybrid over the Escape hybrid, even though the Escape is $6000 less?

No BMWs on the list? Come on, BMWs are great cars.

plumbguy 03-01-2006 06:31 PM

I keep seeing a commercial for subaru claiming they have the best small SUV.
well, I e-mailed subaru and asked them what constitutes "a best SUV".
they replied that car and driver determined they where best small suv nothing really in particular. It seems that you can go on TV and say "I'm the best" and for what ever reason people just assume it's true and go out and buy one.
I think some people may purchase japaneese just to spite the best country in the world. who knows. personally you couldent give me a subaru.
consumer reports slammed US auto makers on the news this evening. as far as I'm concerned they are the enemy within.

plumbguy 03-01-2006 06:32 PM

Best SUV??

dont know why it posted twice???

F2FIFTY 03-01-2006 06:54 PM

Most of the Top this and that list is BS! Truck Trend names Ridgeline Truck of the Year; Car and Driver named Ford F150 "Best Truck in Segment"....blah blah blah. It is all subjective and obviously Consumer Reports is biased towards Japanese "type" autos. Wish there was a publisher truly un-biased with a mix bag of testers with differing tastes that can combine to pick true "top" rides. I have driven numerous autos/trucks and I never thought Japanese cars were better overall. It all boils to preference and apparently Consumer Reports prefers Japanese.

F2F

Galizien 03-01-2006 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
No BMWs on the list? Come on, BMWs are great cars.

There reliability has really went downhill lately.

Snake1979 03-01-2006 08:56 PM

I used to respect consumer reports, but thats gone now. How in the bule HE double hockey sticks did a ridgeline beat anything. I think the Tundra is a better truck than the ridgeline, and thats saying something.

plumbguy 03-01-2006 09:26 PM

money trumps everything, perhaps the japaneese pay for these favortisims.

tjc transport 03-02-2006 03:08 AM

if the humdum ridgeline was the best truck of the year according to dumbconsumers reports, why was it canceled?? maybe because they can not give them away???

06supercrew 03-02-2006 06:09 AM

Many years ago I was a salesman for a radio station, we had documentation showing us as the # 1 station in our coverage area. We advertised that fact. I know for a fact we were not the # 1 station, you could ask anyone. What I found out is if you hired the company to do the demographics they would find a time frame that you were # 1. Like between 1:03AM and 1:12AM on the third Sunday of February (maybe a little exaggeration. Now it is a fact, you just don't give the details. Who knows what takes place behind the scenes (if anything). Just my $.02 worth.

jschira 03-02-2006 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by CTford
BTW, being built in the U.S. does not make it an "American" car.

Tell that to the folks in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio that make them.

bronocIInoob 03-02-2006 06:28 PM

...and they should agree. I mean not being aware you are that your working for a company owned outside of your country is just sad. They know they dont work for the U.S. ....but money is money,and thats what there doing it for anyway.

cds 03-02-2006 09:20 PM

I agree, I don't hold it against any of the workers who build them. We all have to feed families and pay for houses. I think it should not be considered an "American" car unless the majority of ownership of the company and the design of the cars/trucks is done in the U.S. I agree everyone has a choice and is free to buy what they want, but there are so many people out there that think that Japanese cars and trucks never have any problems. Truth is, Most cars today have very few problems, annoying things yes, major problems no.

Schuby 03-02-2006 10:20 PM

I just got done reading the crapsumer reports....I about lost it....especially about the Ridgeline, the cars & other models I can half-way give credit but not the ridgeline...Here is how Consumer reports make their picks:

..."Of the more than 200 vehicles that Consumer Reports has recently tested, our Top Picks are worth special consideration. All are recommended models and all-around high performers that:

• Scored at or near the top among competing vehicles in our testing.

• We predict will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey.

• Performed adequately in overall crash protection if tested by the government or insurance industry."

Here is what they said about the Ridgeline:

Honda Ridgeline
The Honda Ridgeline ($28,000-$35,000) redefines the pickup, combining the comfortable ride and agile handling of a car-based chassis with a good payload capacity. The roomy cab features nice details and is easy to access. It even offers a weather-tight trunk in the bed. If you want a longer bed and more towing capacity, we suggest the Toyota Tundra.

REPORT CARD
Test score ..................
Reliability ....................
Crash protection ....... NA

The graphics for the test score & reliability did not copy over, but my main point is the NA on the crash protection....How can you make that the Top pick-up??? :confused: :confused:

Schuby 03-02-2006 10:22 PM

I just got done reading the crapsumer reports....I about lost it....especially about the Ridgeline, the cars & other models I can half-way give credit but not the ridgeline...Here is how Consumer reports make their picks:

..."Of the more than 200 vehicles that Consumer Reports has recently tested, our Top Picks are worth special consideration. All are recommended models and all-around high performers that:

• Scored at or near the top among competing vehicles in our testing.

• We predict will have average or better reliability, based on our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey.

• Performed adequately in overall crash protection if tested by the government or insurance industry."

How long has the Ridgeline been in production? Do they have the #'s to even make an annual survey....

Here is what they said about the Ridgeline:

Honda Ridgeline
The Honda Ridgeline ($28,000-$35,000) redefines the pickup, combining the comfortable ride and agile handling of a car-based chassis with a good payload capacity. The roomy cab features nice details and is easy to access. It even offers a weather-tight trunk in the bed. If you want a longer bed and more towing capacity, we suggest the Toyota Tundra.

REPORT CARD
Test score ..................
Reliability ....................
Crash protection ....... NA

The graphics for the test score & reliability did not copy over, but my main point is the NA on the crash protection....How can you make that the Top pick-up??? :confused: :confused: