Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Lincoln buyers are paying the premium for a upgraded F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/460897-lincoln-buyers-are-paying-the-premium-for-a-upgraded-f150.html)

grease monkey 02-12-2006 01:30 PM

Lincoln buyers are paying the premium for a upgraded F150

:-X15 I was reading the local paper the other day and there was a article that I found very interesting. In the middle of the article it stated that it costs Ford not very much more money to convert a F150 to a Lincoln Mark LT.

:-X01 What I think is kind of outragous is that they hike up the base price on the Lincoln Mark LT $20,000 more from the price of the F150.

:-X15 I went to the local Auto Show last week and checked out both trucks and there was not much of the difference between the two, but some cosmetic changes like the piping in the seats.

:-X10 I think someone have to be crazy to buy a pick-up for $20,000 more for the same thing for alot less money. Heck with that $20,000 more you are allmost on the way to another F150.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=...&u_rnd=1170754

osbornk 02-12-2006 03:40 PM

This is nothing new and has been going on forever with all manufacturers. Chevy Cavaliers became Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Pontiacs at the same time (82 I think). Crown Vics have become Mercurys and Liincolns for years. K-Cars were Plymouths, Dodges and Chryslers at the same time. Hondas become Acuras, Toyotas become Lexuses (and Chevrolet and Ponitac), Subarus have even become Saabs. Trailblazers become Hummers as do Suburbans(who also become Cadillacs).

Back when clothing was made in the USA, I had an aunt that worked for one. Her job was to sew in the labels. The company had many different contracts with many different companies. The only difference between the garment that went to the discount store and the one that went to an exclusive high end retailer was the label they sewed on the garment.

polarbear 02-12-2006 04:06 PM

I see a fair number of LT's on the road up here. What's outragious- if someone wants to spend the extra money, why not? you wouldn't, I probably wouldn't either.... But someone's buying Cadillac's version of the Avalanche, tahoe, and suburban.

73Fastbackv10 02-12-2006 04:49 PM

The price of the Mark LT is slightly lower than a King Ranch F150, so it's not like their hiking up the price. It makes you wonder why anyone would get the King Ranch.

BTW, if you try to build a King Ranch on the Ford website, it now gives you 2 bed options, 5.5' or 6.5'

1956MarkII 02-13-2006 11:35 AM

Comparably-equipped, the Mark LT is about $4500 more than a 150 Lariat. For that, you get the name, and a lot of (IMHO) ugly bling. At least Cadillac gives their Tahoe a different front end, and a more luxurious interior. This reminds me of what these two companies did back in the 70's: Cadillac took the platform of a Chevy Nova, seriously upgraded it, and called it the Seville. Lincoln sees how well it's selling, so they take a Granada, slap a Mark IV grille on it, and call it the Versailles. The Seville fooled a lot of people; the Versailles fooled no one. You'd think Lincoln would learn from past mistakes....

CowboyBilly9Mile 02-13-2006 12:27 PM

Always amusing to see someone driving a Yukon with Caddy stickers on it, paid way too much for those little stickers and different look (gaudy front end), then get pounded on resale. Must make them feel good about trying to distance themselves from the *common* folk :-X10. Around here, a few of the used ones seem to appeal to the gang banger/drug dealer crowd. Hard to imagine people actually wanting them when such segment of the population also likes them :rolleyes:.

mattsf250 02-13-2006 01:15 PM

what?

go book both on kbb.com for a new mark lt, and a new f150 lariat..... try a supercrew 4x4... you will find they are almost the exact same price....39k for both, new average selling price.
\

1956MarkII 02-13-2006 02:18 PM

My bad- a fully-loaded Lariat has an invoice of $38765, the Mark LT (comparably-equipped) invoice works out to $42101 (both according to carsdirect.com, the most accurate pricing site on the 'net). That's a difference of $3336, and both trucks have a $3000 rebate right now. $3300 is a lot of money for the few extra trinkets the LT has to offer. And that's coming from someone that owns 2 Lincoln Town Cars.

osbornk 02-13-2006 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
And that's coming from someone that owns 2 Lincoln Town Cars.

Bet you bought your fancied up Crown Vics used, like I did. The extra bells, whistles and trinkets are cheap when you do it that way and the Town Cars are treated more gently and maintained better.

polarbear 02-13-2006 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Comparably-equipped, the Mark LT is about $4500 more than a 150 Lariat. For that, you get the name, and a lot of (IMHO) ugly bling. At least Cadillac gives their Tahoe a different front end, and a more luxurious interior. This reminds me of what these two companies did back in the 70's: Cadillac took the platform of a Chevy Nova, seriously upgraded it, and called it the Seville. Lincoln sees how well it's selling, so they take a Granada, slap a Mark IV grille on it, and call it the Versailles. The Seville fooled a lot of people; the Versailles fooled no one. You'd think Lincoln would learn from past mistakes....

At least Cadillac knew enough to extend the wheelbase, offer a different powertrain, re-engineer the suspension, and use completely different sheet-metal on the Seville. Considering all Cadillacs use a shared GM platform, the Seville was as much a Cadillac as any other. Ford just slapped a grill on a Granada and called it good. :rolleyes:

The new Escalade is on the same program- a unique 403 HP V8 and different sheet metal..... and a stupefying price.There's a cool $10K premium against a comparable Tahoe LTZ, and they're both on back-order. Not a price-sensititive market.

73Fastbackv10 02-13-2006 09:24 PM

Compare the Mark LT to a king ranch and the mark LT is cheaper.

polarbear 02-13-2006 11:14 PM

The King Ranch actually has more features, though, in the base price. When you look at typically equipped units, the LT goes out the door for a bit more. Different statements, though. We sell many more KR's in the SD line than we do F150's.

Chauncey 02-13-2006 11:36 PM

I priced both the Lt and the Lariat. Out the door pricing was within 2K. I figure the difference is in the dealer markup. I happen to prefer the Lariat for the lack of "shine" to the exterior. Also got a couple extras on the Ford that were not on the "in stock" LT. The KR has nicer leather but more maintenance on it.
In reference to Cadillac, I also own a SRX. In this town, typically, a Cadillac gets better service than a Chevrolet. Same dealer, same service department, different service writers and techs. I have had things covered on warranty that I know normally would not be covered. So I for one, prefer to spend a bit more up front to not have the hassel in the service department later.

polarbear 02-14-2006 12:02 AM

Chauncey- excellent point. I think we get our high CSI scores on the Chevy side because of the Corvette business. That buyer has a completely different set of expectations, so the entire service department is structured differently.

ggarrahan 02-14-2006 09:42 AM

Hey Polar- you forgot the trunk with the spare tire bulge on the Versailles. Do you remember the ads for the Granada. Priced like a Volkswagen, looks like a Cadillac Seville. Or, that's my Granada, no, that's my Cadillac. But, Ford sold a TON of Granadas and Monarchs in the mid to late 1970's, so it probably didn't cost much to come out with the Versailles.
I like the Mark LT, but I like the King Ranch better because the leather is thicker, and seems to be of a better quality. My '03 KR leather is in very good shape, and does not have the cracking that's typical of the thinner leather cars normally have. But, you do have to be careful not to spill stuff on it, it is absorbant and will stain easily.