Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Iowa GTG (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/454272-iowa-gtg.html)

Flareside94 01-25-2006 10:01 AM

Iowa GTG

Ok, who wants to get together? *Raises hand*

For those of you that don't know, I used to be here on FTE under the name of Saurian. I got into a bit of trouble (http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...ilies2/shy.gif), and got to take a bit of a vacation. But, they've let me back and so its time to get things moving again. I used to be the treasurer of the club (no funds atm), don't know if I still am or not.

Anyways, currently FTE wants chapter leaders to submit a planned get together with firm commitments by members to attend. In fact, they will be visiting 4 local get togethers this year due to there not being a national FTE meeting. They're already attending Kansas, and the NW chapter is a likely candidate for another. Even if we don't get one of those visits, they will still support our meeting with stickers, hats, etc for us.

So now this comes down to who can commit to a meet? Roger will make it I can about assure, Rob (Monsterbaby) will probably make it unless we pick the WORST day for him (Hopefully bringing Linda and the new Expy =P ), and I'll more then likely be there. So who else is up for this? Who else really wants to get together and hang out, do some activity? I organized a meet that fell through in Des Moines which ended up with just the 3 of us above along with Brandon (Nogo) at a bowling alley.

Who wants to meet? What do you want to do? Food and prizes will be a definate, just what do you want to do and where at? Can be around Des Moines (Roger, you can always get close to C'ville and ride with me), Cedar Rapids, or wherever we can get guys together (Southeastern Iowa has alot of guys). It's up to you guys...anybody else want to chime in?

fellro86 01-25-2006 10:12 AM

Well, as you said, I'd do whatever needed to be there. Been a bit of talk about one here on the east side, so pipe up if you're truly serious about getting together. Been a lot of chatter, time to make it happen!

If nothing more, let's make a smaller meet, just to try and get rolling again. I'm sure pretty much everyone has noticed that activity in here has slowed down, for whatever the reasons, so this may help to bring it back. I know we have plenty of members to be able to work with, just gotta get a time and place figured out to do it. April will be coming soon, and with it, another swap meet in Cedar Rapids. Prices there have been a bit high, but if you look hard enough, you may find what you are after for a decent price. Otherwise, if you have some stuff to get rid of, we can all get together and try to make a little money for ourselves.... I did well out there the last time I went, and didn't have anything special really.
(at this time, my truck is at Marengo...but likely by the time this comes together, it'll be back home here with me, but maybe I'll have some money by then!)

truckertaz 01-25-2006 10:33 AM

If it is around Cedar Rapids or Quad city area I would be able to attend but I don't know about to far from there... I am goin to a goldwing gettoghter the last weekend of July down in Bellevue Ia, So if yall don't mind me bringing my bike that might work to get the blue ovals with the wings :-X06

fellro86 01-25-2006 10:37 AM

If nothing more, we can make a smaller one to work with ya...

Flareside94 01-25-2006 11:24 AM

Our strongest support is around Des Moines, Along 380, and then down here in the SE portion. I just wanted to see who was up for it. Have to know who's willing and from where before we can set a place.

As far as time, I was hoping to get this going within the next month or two. Hopefully we can have a second meet this summer - but thats down the road a ways.

Remember, sharing fuel costs by having a rider/riding is your friend too. I owe Roger already so =P.

69 and 85 01-25-2006 12:08 PM

Saurian?? Holy Crap. I was wondering what happened to you. WB from vacation. You need to get Van Dykes in CR to sponsor a meeting with some parts gift certificates as raffle prizes. Scheduling is always difficult, but I can ALWAYS make time to go thru the junkyard! LOL

fellro86 01-25-2006 03:28 PM

Sunline/Van Dykes is a PITA to deal with, haven't had much for good dealings with them personally...

Flareside94 01-25-2006 05:29 PM

I'm back. ^_^ Not gonna get into anymore trouble on here (I'll go to Pirate for that =P). I've been buying up parts these days (4.56 gears, D44 carrier, D44 gear/bearing kit, 9" kit, 9" gears (rob might have picked those up for me today), bushings, extended stainless brake lines, 6" Fabtech lift coils, Rancho lift shocks, and a few other items). Doing a SAS in the front with a HP D44, and putting a 9" in the back with 6" of lift or so and 35" tires. Just got quoted 135 a peice for some BFG off-brand all terrains for the street tires, but the guy's suppliers were getting out of mud tires so they didn't have the LTB's or Super Swampers like I was looking to price check for "playing" this summer with Rob at Reasnor.

Anyways, 69 and 85, where are you located at? Along the CR area? See, we're already getting some hits in that region =). Need a few more people though. Anybody know where John got off to?

fiftyfourdf100 01-25-2006 11:02 PM

If the GTG is on a weekend afternoon, around the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area of the state I could probably get there...after 5 probably(work weekends till 3...go home change and clean up) I may not offer much help on mechanics with you guys since I'm still learning(first truck and car). Don't really care what we do, but should be good to go as long as its not the weekend of the 10th of february(Chicago Auto Show), and around the 16-20 of june (back 2 the 50s car show in Minnesota) When we talkin...early-mid-late february, march, april, may..etc..???? Most likely a go, but can't guarantee anything really, schedule is always changing. Time and place, and I could tell ya yes or no.

Tucker
54 F100 street rod

Mikes67F250 01-26-2006 11:45 AM

Meet

Hey, figured I jump in on this. I live in Wayland, Ia. About 40 miles south of Iowa City. Cr and Iowa City are ok. Is this a talk to get parts toghther to sell. Or just a meeting. Or both. Doesn't matter much to me. I have a 67 F250 i bought a year ago and decided to restore it. The motor is done a inline 6 Fuel injected motor converted to carb. I have a 4brl holley 390, offenhauser alum manifold and hedman hedders with 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with a H pipe to get it closer to sounding like a V-8. 4 speed stick. Hoping to have it ready for paint this summer. I have a 70 F250 I'm parting out. Cab, doors, 373 rearend,hood,frame and other various stuff. Not looking to make a killing unless it is at a swap meet. Sold the grille in near mint condition to a guy in Las Vegas for 50 bucks. He was a happy individual with that one.I have the parts in the classifieds on this site. Would like to get involved a bit with the group mybe and see how it goes. Thanks

fellro86 01-26-2006 11:51 AM

Most likely, the get together will just be that, a get together. If we wish to do more, that is everyone's personal choice.
Sounds like a nice truck, now you're going to make Opie cry... he just sold his 70. You're just up the road a bit from me, I'm west of Kahoka, Mo on 136. I go by your area every so often when I run 218 between here and Marengo, Iowa.

Mikes67F250 01-26-2006 12:20 PM

Bought my truck in stockport about a year and a half ago for 250 bucks. Drove it home with one front wheel braking. Had 98,000 original miles. Old guy had it in a shed when he didn't use it on his farm. Still have the original leather key tag that came with the truck new from the car dealer in farfield I believe. IT had a gutless 240 so I looked for a 300. I feel i made a good choice. Have hauled 2.17 tons of gravel for about 8 miles with out a problem, good power. Won't do that again though afraid of killing the leaf springs. The compression ratio on this 300 is 9.5:1 so that is most helpful. And I get about 70 miles on a quarter tank which isn't to bad. Look forward to meeting some of you.

Mike

Flareside94 01-26-2006 01:06 PM

Did you bolt the 240 head onto the 300 block to go with the 300 rotating assembly?

That's another in the CR area. Hopefully we can keep em coming. Rob hasn't chimed in yet, and we still have several members in that area. Maybe need to get ahold of Rusty, he has yet to show up at any Iowa meetings. I wonder if I can convince Rick to tag along from Centerville here.

Mikes67F250 01-26-2006 01:13 PM

The 300 I have is from a newer fuel injected truck and the heads were converted to take a carb. The fuel injected heads run a higher compression ratio. I had to use a electric fuel pump as well because the block was not casted for a mechanical fuel pump.The motor I believe is a 89.

monsterbaby 01-26-2006 02:15 PM

Ok I am here no I hadn't looked in today so didn't notice this thread till Jacob PM'd me (since it's been so slow in this chapter only look about once a week it seems guess I better change that one) maybe it's time for me to run another contest to get some more interest going again.
Yeah I am usually up for a meet and were doesn't always make a difference. althoug like everyone else close to home would be nice once in awhile but that doesn't seem liike anyone close is interested so where ever if I can.
You already know or should know that the first sunday of each month starting in May is definatly out, and I prefer it not to be on sunday's anyway cause I have to go to work at midnight sunday night so makes for a pretty rough day if I have to drive 2-300 miles round trip for a meet then drive another 460 miles monday without any sleep.