Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   92 f150 door locks not working (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/450534-92-f150-door-locks-not-working.html)

msgntsu 01-15-2006 07:39 PM

92 f150 door locks not working

I just purchased my Ford and the auto door locks weren't working. I checked the fuse and it was o.k. The person before me had an aftermarket alarm & keyless entry that they removed. I was wondering if they might have forgotten to hook the locks back up. Also, I flipped the hood and noticed two connectors next to the firewall on the drivers side that weren't hooked up to anything. Not sure if this is related, or not.

Blurry94 01-16-2006 12:44 AM

I'm not sure how familiar you are with these trucks, but one of those connectors is probably the OBD diagnotic port, where you can access fault codes and PCM data. There is normally another (single wire connector) close by that is used for grounding to help perform diagnostic tests with the OBD connector. There is another "unplugged" connector that is called the SPOUT, and it has to do with checking/changing the base timing.

What do the connectors look like?

msgntsu 01-16-2006 08:27 PM

One of them is a pretty big connector (probably about 1.5 in. long). The other is a single prong (grey with black stripe). I think these are the ones that you are referring to below. Doesn't sound like this is my problem. Any other ideas to try?

Popa Tim 01-16-2006 09:18 PM

Heres a pic of the STO and STI connectors that you probably have found...
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Your locks were probably not reconnected with the pullout of the the alarm, normally they cut into the wires to add relays.

msgntsu 01-17-2006 10:07 AM

Yes, that's those are the ones that I found. I am assuming the same thing that you are that they just cut wires when they removed the alarm. Do you have any idea where I should start looking? Thanks again for your help.

msgntsu 01-23-2006 07:18 PM

Still looking for help with this problem. Anyone have any ideas? I looked under the dash real well, but I can't find any wires that look like they have been cut.

Blurry94 01-24-2006 06:40 PM

Try pulling your door panels off and see if the wires are connected to the actuators at the bottom of the door. Make sure the window is rolled up and have a flashlight handy.

bobcf 01-25-2006 07:12 AM

The alarm could be the problem,if it had keyless entrey. Look in the kick panels(mostly the pasenger side) for pink/yellow and pink/green wires. These wires need to be cut for the keyless entrey,maybe the previos owner forgot to reconect them after removing the system.

Bob

msgntsu 01-25-2006 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info. Bob. I will check that out tonight and advise everyone.

msgntsu 01-25-2006 09:04 PM

Bob, can you please clarify what a kick panel is? I assumed it was the panel that's on the bottom underneath the dash (on the drivers side, I pulled the panel that's left of the emergency brake) Am I pulling the right panel? If so, then I didn't see any wires. There was a metal plate behind that cover. I did see two big bundles of wires at the rear of this plate but I didn't see any wires with the color that you stated above. Please advise. Thanks.

bobcf 01-26-2006 02:59 PM

Sorry I wasnt clear. Yes, that is the panel I ment. Try the other side also. If someone was in there(for a keyless entry) I would think the wires would be pulled out of the harness.

This is the most comon place to conect into the door looks, but not the only.

Get back with us when you can. I will be away this weekend(no computer).

msgntsu 01-29-2006 07:17 PM

You were exactly right! I took off the right kicker panel and I found the wires that you mentioned in your email below. They were cut with other wires spliced to them. I reconnected the wires and now the door locks work (oops! the drivers works. The passenger switch will only lock the doors - It doesn't do anything when you push the "U". I'm assuming the switch is bad). Let me know your thougts on the switch and thanks again for all the help.

bobcf 01-29-2006 07:33 PM

That’s great. Did you get both wires? If yes, it could be the switch. The switch isn’t too expensive. It is worth the price to be sure.

Bob

msgntsu 01-29-2006 07:38 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, both colored wires were cut, so I reconnected them. Again, the drivers works (lock & unlock). The passengers side only locks the doors. I'm assuming that the wires are fine since the drivers side works correctly. Am I correct? Thanks again.

bobcf 01-29-2006 09:48 PM

That sounds right. The next thing I would try is the switch.

Bob