Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aerostar (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum33/)
-   -   Aerostar Suspension lift (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/438621-aerostar-suspension-lift.html)

eschaerer 12-11-2005 03:19 PM

Aerostar Suspension lift

airialxxx10

Looking for info on how to raise suspension on late model AWD aerostar.

Gene

ken1mod 12-11-2005 03:55 PM

Air shoocks!!

Ken

Ed 12-12-2005 01:52 AM

I use a 3 ton Craftsman Floor Jack on my Aerostar. I use the factory recomended lift points, and this floor jack lifts the suspension nicely. One pump after the ball engages the frame, and the Aerostar is lifted 2"-3" off the ground.

96_4wdr 12-12-2005 06:49 AM

Ed,
is it difficult and do you get stares driving your Aero around with it's Craftsman Lift Kit?:-X04

3" Lift Kit w 38" Mudders?? :-X06 :-X25

rebocardo 12-12-2005 11:40 AM

An AWD (or any -imo-) Aerostar is not amendable to lifting. Pretty much like any control arm type vehicle with front coil springs. You can get one or two inches, then slightly big tires, other then that it is a do-it-yourself-butcher-job.

You can add an extra spring leaf in the back or a small block lift.

I guess the real question is, why do you want to raise it?

copper_90680 12-12-2005 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rebocardo
I guess the real question is, why do you want to raise it?

To make crawling under the van easier for guys with big bellies like mine :)

Torsen Rick 12-12-2005 01:38 PM

What, you mean not every one has a vehicle lift for doing work under the van? ;)

93nighthawk 12-12-2005 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by copper_90680
To make crawling under the van easier for guys with big bellies like mine :)

Ditto! :-D

diskskratch 12-12-2005 03:39 PM

I managed to lift my AWD about 1-2". In the front, both springs were broken on the last coil, so I replaced them with front springs from a camaro, I forgot what year, but they gave it a firmer ride and about 1 1/2" after settling in. The back I put a decent set of blocks on the springs, and was thinking about the in-spring air bags, but haven't heard much good about them from a thread here a while ago. Air shocks aren't an option, as I have Rancho RS-5000's on all 4 corners, and they are too damned expensive to just take off and toss aside. With this little lift, I fit 225/70R/15 Yokohama Geolander AT/+II's on it with no rubbing whatsoever, they give it such a mean stance. So, in closing, it is possible to get a little lift, but not much.

Ed 12-13-2005 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by 96_4wdr
Ed,
is it difficult and do you get stares driving your Aero around with it's Craftsman Lift Kit?:-X04

3" Lift Kit w 38" Mudders?? :-X06 :-X25

-----------
How did you know? Those metal wheels on the floor jack don't turn very fast either, and it's very noisy, even on just paved, asphalt! :-X21 :-X14 Ed

96_4wdr 12-13-2005 04:26 AM

my ChineseMart 3 ton hi lift 19 incher will barely do 30 on the curves

ken1mod 12-14-2005 08:50 AM

What is wrong with air shocks? I have seen them on the front too.

Ken

xlt4wd90 12-18-2005 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by diskskratch
I managed to lift my AWD about 1-2". In the front, both springs were broken on the last coil, so I replaced them with front springs from a camaro, I forgot what year, but they gave it a firmer ride and about 1 1/2" after settling in. The back I put a decent set of blocks on the springs, and was thinking about the in-spring air bags, but haven't heard much good about them from a thread here a while ago. Air shocks aren't an option, as I have Rancho RS-5000's on all 4 corners, and they are too damned expensive to just take off and toss aside. With this little lift, I fit 225/70R/15 Yokohama Geolander AT/+II's on it with no rubbing whatsoever, they give it such a mean stance. So, in closing, it is possible to get a little lift, but not much.

Hi,

If you can find the specifics, I would really like to know. I would probably find an aftermarket version of the Camero springs that provide an inch drop to the stock, so it would leave the Aero in its stock height. But I am curious as to what model of Rancho 5000 shocks you got to fit the front?

rebocardo 12-18-2005 11:22 PM

I don't know, how I lift my Aero is jack up both sides of the front axle about 18 inches and then put a jackstand under each side near the arms. No room problems and I wear 3x shirts. The stomach is all muscle, honest ;-D

Ed 12-19-2005 02:16 AM

Putting aside my useless response, (Post #3) I was wondering too: Why do you want to raise the van? Considering the Aerostar, stock, already has a high center of gravity, what is your purpose? In case of a defensive manuaever in traffic, I would think you would want to make sure the Aerostar will handle, without any bad results. It's never going to corner like a new Mustang GT, but I think you see my point? Ed...