Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   2000 ranger wont start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/427059-2000-ranger-wont-start.html)

Stump Man 11-05-2005 11:08 PM

2000 ranger wont start

i unplugged fuse number 12 while the truck was running and the truck stalled. then it wouldnt start and the fuel pump wouldnt turn on. i think it may have something to do with the anti theft system but im not sure. my truck is a 2000 ranger, 3.0 V6, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive. i didnt get a owners manual with the truck when i got it and the fuses arent labeled so any help with what fuse is what would also be appreciated. thanks alot

RangerPilot 11-06-2005 12:36 AM

I'm having a hard time trying to find what fuse that is on Autozone.com, with zero luck. Try disconnecting your negative battery cable for 20 mins and letting the computer reset itself, that should reset the anti-theft system as well.
If there's a switch hidden somewhere to deactivate it, flip it.

Ken00 11-06-2005 06:56 PM

Have you tested the fuse, it may have blown.

Check out this link for an owners manual...
Owners Manual

russ1416807 11-07-2005 10:33 PM

if for some reason the fuel pump isnt pumping and ur sure all fuses are good it may need reset. im not sure but u may have tripped a safty switch to the fuel pump when u pulled the fuse. why that would happen im not sure but there is a reset switch under the dash very far right side of pass.,usually down by floor. just give it a push.that switch will not shut pump off even if thats not it.its just a reset switch that activates when in an accident(frontal crash only i believe)

fords4life116 11-09-2005 10:32 PM

hey guys i posted that thread on this name before i signed up with my own account. what happened was when my buddy pulled the fuse out of number 19 he ended up putting it back into slot 12 some how. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all your help. i hope i can help you guys some how.

natebaker 11-09-2005 10:34 PM

:-rip DOH!:-rip

It's ok. Is everything good now?

powerstroke6ltr 11-10-2005 04:26 PM

its just a reset switch that activates when in an accident(frontal crash only i believe)

No...it also trips when hit in the rear...believe me, i'd know. Had someone rear end me on labor day and their car went under the back of my truck and it tripped...then again, it didn't trip when i got rear ended by an explorer....

As for the original post, this may sound dumb...did you put it in the original socket??? I've done that one....

RangerPilot 11-10-2005 06:12 PM

Glad you got it fixed, we all make stupid little mistakes! lol.

Yeah the fuel pump inertia switch, is that what they call it? Turns the fuel pump off if there is a certain strength or greater impact on the vehicle. Thankfully it's easy to reset if it just randomly trips.

fords4life116 11-10-2005 08:56 PM

ya everything works now. thanks again

russ1416807 11-10-2005 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke6ltr
its just a reset switch that activates when in an accident(frontal crash only i believe)

No...it also trips when hit in the rear...believe me, i'd know. Had someone rear end me on labor day and their car went under the back of my truck and it tripped...then again, it didn't trip when i got rear ended by an explorer....

As for the original post, this may sound dumb...did you put it in the original socket??? I've done that one....

man u need brighter brake lights or somthin' brother

RangerPilot 11-10-2005 09:12 PM

plug some spotlights in back there and put some red tape over the bulbs lol.

powerstroke6ltr 11-10-2005 09:12 PM

you're tellling me.....none were my fault, but it's just the process of dealing with ins. that kills the most.....What I think is most peculiar is, the lady whose car went under my truck fell asleep at the wheel...and it was still light out....:-X16

35l911 11-10-2005 09:36 PM

i was in a front off-center passanger side low speed crash and it safty switch tripped

RangerPilot 11-10-2005 09:49 PM

Yeah gotta love those insurance guys, rip ya for every penny you have.
I hit a double brick mailbox doing about 20, didn't trip the switch. Then again, it didn't even slow the truck down either.
I always park close to my dad just to make him be like "oh my God could you be any closer" and hit his bumper one day at like less than a mph, I didn't even really feel it, but the switch tripped. Though I'm thinking my gf may have tripped it on accident when we bumped it.

powerstroke6ltr 11-10-2005 09:53 PM

I hit a double brick mailbox doing about 20, didn't trip the switch. Then again, it didn't even slow the truck down either.^ Sounds just like what I did....was backing in the expedition and was tired...didn't realize I was too far over and ran right over the brick mailbox out front and ended up in the ditch along the driveway....kinda comical to hear the backup sensor go crazy though....