Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   BD Beginner Basics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/424383-bd-beginner-basics.html)

Jonathan A 10-28-2005 01:06 PM

BD Beginner Basics

I've been checking this forum out for a month or so, and I first heard of BD on Trucks. Stacey got a kit from FreedomFuelAmerica, which I plan to do, and started making his own, it says around 40-45gal. a day? I plan to make a batch two to three times a week. Or should I try to build my own set-up?

Right now I'm looking at getting a 1999- SD 7.3L (5.4 is petrol?) for my landscaping business, the Jeep can't pull two skids on a 16 foot. So what are the basics I need to know....I need to get lye, the powdered type, 100% racing methenol, and then the veg. oil? How many watts does it take to run the machine?

Ed Willmott 10-28-2005 05:55 PM

Dude - there is a lot to your questions - not sure you're gonna find your answers that quick.

really search the forums for more research - check out all the sites.

I agree that a PSD is the way to go, I have a 16' flat trailer and a 16' Cargo trailer full of tools and my '99 pulls it like a champ.

But I have done the research and am not convinced that the economics of making bio is really there when true accounting is done for my time and being legal by paying road tax.

But don't let me rain on your parade, I haven't tried it yet and still want to give it shot to see if I can make it work!

cookie88 10-28-2005 08:09 PM

Yes, the 5.4 is a gasoline engine. The diesel engine available in 99-03 Superduty is the 7.3

Lots of good reading in this forum.

beeglej 10-29-2005 11:03 PM

A Good Reference

This site helped me alot in making my decision to start making BD

Journey to Forever

How To

Maybe you can start here. By the way its a long read.

Jonathan A 10-30-2005 12:44 PM

So beeglej did you end up running BD?

beeglej 10-30-2005 03:42 PM

Yes Sir I have now run about 3.5 tanks thru

Ed Willmott 10-30-2005 08:53 PM

Beegleg - great to here u are actually doing it!

Please let me ask u a few questions that I have been dying to ask of an actual producer!

1) Did you build your processing rig or buy it, like one of the kits for sale?
2) how hard was it to collect waste oil? did you just walk into the local chinese food joint and ask?
3) how long does it really take to make a batch?
4) do you use a fuel to heat the mixture or sunlight?

beeglej 11-02-2005 02:35 PM

No problem
1) I made my unit with help from a friend who bought one from biodieselwarehouse.com I basically reverse engineered mine from his with some of my own add-ins that i had seen on the internet I studied how to make biodiesel for over a year before i sat down and decided to piece one together.

2) Collecting oil isn't a big deal (stay away from fast food if possible) I have long been a patron of some mom and pop places in my home town so I knew the owners already. I get oil from four of these places and i always collect on mondays. But I do recommend If you are going to some place that you don't have a standing relationship with to go in on the middle of the afternoon on a weekday order a small meal or big if you like. make sure they aren't busy and ask your server to see the manager. when they come out just ask the question like you are doing an experiment with used oil that can be converted to fuel... ect.

3)It may take a couple of hours of your acctual time to get it going and after it is over to wash it. But I usually let mine run overnight. I think for a smaller batch it may take like 6 hours to be safe and let it all react.

4)I use a water heater that i disabled the upper element in and use it as the reactor. I found the water heater to be the safest method because it can be fumeless.

But here is another website to look at that may help you.

Biodiesel Collabration

kennedyford 11-02-2005 03:51 PM

I just made my setup over the past two days and im testing a miniscule (2cups) amount to get the ratio correct for my first 50 gallons.

There is not much risk of getting pulled over and having your tanks dipped since the fuel is cleaner and clearer than dino

Beegleg I was wondering how you mix your methanol and lye to what ratio? I purchased the lye in flakes rather than beads and had a hard time dissolving the lye. Any thoughts?

beeglej 11-03-2005 04:44 PM

I am pretty new myself to biodiesel and have never tried the flakes so not sure there.

Your methanol and lye ratio isn't the same from batch to batch

try looking here for a brief explanation

How much lye should I use?

Hope that helps

Jason Beegle
beeglej

kennedyford 11-04-2005 10:16 AM

I figured it out. I wasnt patient enouph to wait. lol