Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   390 FE Fuel Injection? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/417282-390-fe-fuel-injection.html)

workingdog 10-05-2005 09:18 AM

390 FE Fuel Injection?

Anyone out there running a 390 FE with either direct ignition or fuel injection?

Peter

rusty70f100 10-05-2005 11:57 AM

Been there, done that. I've got an FE 390 with a Holley 700cfm Commander 950 electronic fuel injection system on it.

What are your questions?

workingdog 10-05-2005 03:00 PM

What intake manifold are you running? I assume you had to put in the bungs yourself -
How did you angle the injectors? Are you running direct ignition? How did you mount the crank sensor?

rusty70f100 10-05-2005 04:11 PM

No, no, no, and no. I got the TBI type system. It's got a 4 injector pod above the intake manifold. No modification necessary. Just squirts fuel down into the manifold. Not as efficient as a multi-port injection setup, but at 15mpg from a 390, I wont complain. Oh, the intake is a plain old Performer RPM.

No direct injection obviously.

No crank sensor. I'm using a Mallory Unilite distributor. It works fine when you curve it correctly. The Holley fuel injection computer CAN control timing, but I currently dont have it set up to. Once you get the timing curve where you want it, where's the advantage? Sure, if you're going racing every weekend you could change timing a lot easier, but since I'm not...

If you want to go with a real multi-port setup, I suggest you find an Edelbrock Streetmaster 390 intake manifold. It has the ports in line which will make it easier to run injectors.

ford390gashog 10-05-2005 04:14 PM

rusty how much did that whole setup cost you? does it include the fuel pump? i assume you need to run a return line to the tank too.

rusty70f100 10-05-2005 04:42 PM

The whole setup was around $1200, IIRC. It includes everything you need, computer, wiring harness, fuel pump, the whole 27' (9 yards...). The only thing I had to buy was the fuel line. And yes, you do have a return that goes back to the tank.

Thudpucker 10-05-2005 08:49 PM

Is there a Computer with that system?
Or is it Mechanical?
If it's Mechanical, is it similar to the Bosch system used on the early 80's Volkswagons?
I'm curious about the timing pulses for the Throttle body. How do they handle that?

Also, does it start and idle smoothly?

Ford_Six 10-05-2005 09:16 PM

I am putting together a multiport system for a 390 shortly, using a Megasquirt controller, DUI HEI distributor, and a 4BBL intake with a throttle body and adaptor from an EFI 460.
Here is a site that tells how to make the fuel rails and intake injector bungs. It deals primarily with using a Subaru engine in an aircraft, but the technology is the same.
http://sdsefi.com/air12.html

Thudpucker 10-05-2005 09:21 PM

Ford_Six, did you say "a multiport" and also a "Throttle body" on the same engine?

Ford_Six 10-05-2005 09:28 PM

The throttle body controls the airflow- it's a mulitport injection system.

workingdog 10-05-2005 09:34 PM

What's the difference between the street master and the Victor intakes?

workingdog 10-05-2005 09:37 PM

Wow Ford_Six, that look really complicated.

But let me know how the MegaSquirt works. I'm looking at MegaJolt for my switch to direct ignition. I really like the idea they are pursuing with public access engineering for fuel injectin.

workingdog 10-05-2005 09:38 PM

So it looks like no one has ever done direct ignition on an FE engine - maybe I'll be the first.

Peter

rusty70f100 10-05-2005 09:52 PM

The system I'm using has a computer. I can program it using my laptop. I have complete control over all fuel (and spark if I were utilizing that function) controls. It is Holley's design. See here. Startup is great, turn the key and it's going. No chokes, no pumping the accelerator pump, no cold start worries. It's great. When set properly, it idles nice and smooth. You can still "hear" the cam I've got in it, though. }>

The streetmaster was meant to be a lower-end single plane intake, for usage on the street. It is no longer manufactured, but is readily available from a number of sources. The Victor is a large single plane intake designed for one thing: High end power.

ford390gashog 10-06-2005 01:35 AM

the streetmasters seem to bring very good money at swap meets and ebay most go for 200.00 the same price they were new or close to it in the 70's.