Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (
-   -   Rattling in the Back (

Vandiyan 09-07-2005 01:55 PM

Rattling in the Back
I am having a slight rattling in my 1999 F-150 when I am stopped and in drive. The only time the rattling happens is when I turn the stearing wheel to the left and to the right. I figured the sound would come from underneath the front but it comes from the back under the bed. Anyone have any idea on what this might be. I just had a lot of work done underneath on the bed of the truck (a little over 1500 worth) so I am thinking it may have something to do with that. I can maybe try and see if I can get the work sheet that they gave me when the work was done so I can post the details and maybe that might help you experts.

I looked at the work order from back in February and they did a huge overhaul on the rear diff. Looks like a lot of work was also done on the axles as well. Thought this might help a bit.

A_G 09-07-2005 06:22 PM

someone might have left a old socket up in there...

triton_2002 09-07-2005 08:23 PM

Check the lug nuts and under the truck for any loose cables or lines? If it's kind of a grinding sound, might be the u-joints.

Vandiyan 09-08-2005 12:22 AM

It is not a grinding sound. Ill check for some loose bolts or something. I was hoping it might be something simple like that. Thanks for the replys.

preppypyro 09-11-2005 07:11 PM

May sound weird, but one time I had a 1999 acura and I heard a terrible sound coming from under the passenger floorboard, well a long story short, it ended up being a dumb rubber ball rolling around in the side pocket of the door that I missed because it was black and the door panel was black! Hopefully for you it is something dumb like that!

DieselR6 09-11-2005 09:31 PM

You know...I had a rattle sound that was riving me nuts was coming from the back...but mine was when i hit a bump...had nothing to do with turning...but for everyone out turned out to be the little metal locks that the rear leaf springs have at the came loose and started making a hell of a noise.

murph1 09-15-2005 12:41 PM

more than likely a converter sheild that has come loose or the welds have broken,or tranny lines bumping each other..or on the motor itself..mine did that after dealer changed out bad converters..e/brake cables..hitch insert or the pin that holds it..or a small rock /socket stuck someplace where it should not be...good luck..