Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   Alcohol from manure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/409038-alcohol-from-manure.html)

Huntersbo 09-06-2005 07:58 PM

you can make alchol out of animal manure which cost nothing except time. It is boiled in a 50 gallon drum with 70% water and 30% ground whatever waste you use. A propane burner is used underneath the drum and the produce comes out in steam form through a copper pipe through the top of the barrel and into the bottom of a 4" diameter copper pipe where the steam flows to the top and out through a copper spiral tube through a %) gallon drum of water to cool the alcohol steam back to liquide and into another barrel to be strored.

I will try to get links with more information

Huntersbo 09-06-2005 08:02 PM

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

Huntersbo 09-06-2005 08:05 PM

http://www.revenoor.com/graphics/webpage_2.jpg

Torque1st 09-06-2005 08:52 PM

Thread split and notified.

threejacks 09-07-2005 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Huntersbo
you can make alchol out of animal manure which cost nothing except time. It is boiled in a 50 gallon drum with 70% water and 30% ground whatever waste you use. A propane burner is used underneath the drum and the produce comes out in steam form through a copper pipe through the top of the barrel and into the bottom of a 4" diameter copper pipe where the steam flows to the top and out through a copper spiral tube through a %) gallon drum of water to cool the alcohol steam back to liquide and into another barrel to be strored.

I will try to get links with more information

This sounds like the way we make moonshine here in Kentucky. The biggest difference is that we use the corn in this process BEFORE in goes thru the cow.

Huntersbo 09-08-2005 04:58 PM

It would cost me $1.11 per gallon to make ethanol out of corn plus the cost of fuel to make it. Manure is free people throw it away

honkeyboss 09-08-2005 06:54 PM

Most farmers do not throw their manure away. They use it to fertilize their fields or sell it to other farmers for the same purpose.

76supercab2 09-09-2005 08:49 AM

Interesting but I have a few questions:

1. So why don't they offer an alchohol fired still? With theirs I still have to buy engergy to run it.

2. Isn't that CO2, that they claim is the only byproduct of combustion, a greenhouse gas?

3. How does the road tax get paid?

4. What happens if you don't pay the road tax and get caught?

5. If gas is just hydrogen and carbon atoms in a chain (like alchohol), where do the oxides of nitrogen that produce smog come from?

6. If, as according to the engergy calculator in another thread, it takes 1.56 gallons of ethanol to equal the energy content of 1.00 gallons of gas, how can I get the same fuel mileage as claimed in the first web page?

EPNCSU2006 09-09-2005 09:55 AM

5. If gas is just hydrogen and carbon atoms in a chain (like alchohol), where do the oxides of nitrogen that produce smog come from?
The nitrogen is around 76% of the air entering the engine. The heat and presence of oxygen are what form the oxides of nitrogen.

460429_freak 09-09-2005 12:11 PM

the links were dead won't go through

76supercab2 09-09-2005 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
The nitrogen is around 76% of the air entering the engine. The heat and presence of oxygen are what form the oxides of nitrogen.

Exactly. So gasoline - a mixture of hexane C6H14 and heptane C7H16 and octane C8H18 - produces NOx from the nitrogen in the atmosphere. Ethanol C2H5OH will be burning that same atmosphere. Both fuels have the same atoms in their molecules. Suppose ethanol will also produce NOx, JUST like gasoline does and not just CO2 and water?

EPNCSU2006 09-09-2005 10:53 PM

I'm sure it would produce some NOx emissions. I don't know anything about it, so I can't comment any more than that.

76supercab2 09-10-2005 06:51 AM

NOx production is affected by combustion chamber temperature. Power output is also directly related to combustion chamber temps. Higher temps, means the gas in the combustion chamber expands more, which means the gas pushes harder on the piston and makes more power. Similar power outputs between the two fuels would mean similar combustion chamber temps and similar NOx production. If alcohol doesn't produce as much NOx it's because the combustion chamber temps are lower AND the power output will be lower (nothing is free), so you will have to burn more alcohol to do the same job (lower fuel mileage).

I understand that the lower power output will be offset by the lower cost of making it yourself. I'm just not certain it's as simple as the purveyors of the information tout it to be.

The biggest problem I have with the two web sites listed (the links do work btw, you may have to copy them to your browser instead of clicking on them) is that they show alcohol to be a magic silver bullet. "Use this, it has all the benefits of gas with no drawbacks". It's never that simple. Also note both those web sites are selling somthing. One is blueprints the other is stills.

70blue 09-11-2005 01:38 PM

If you want a very indepth read of alcohol as a fuel from someone not trying to sell you anything go here http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...anual_ToC.html
beware though it is 18 chapters long

Huntersbo 09-11-2005 05:32 PM

I appologise honkey boss, in my town we do not have much farming because the soil is so dry, we have ranchers but not necessarily farmers, you are correct , just in my town the ranchers throw their manure away farmers do not.

I do not expect this alcohol to be great, It will be a low cost, lots of time and effort, I expect a decline in gas mileage by 40 to 50%. however if made corectly it will be oover 100 octane will power my vechile with same power as gas and my gas milerge will go from 6 to 3 or 4.