Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   totally bizarre alternatives to fuel crisis? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/407725-totally-bizarre-alternatives-to-fuel-crisis.html)

dorkpunch 09-01-2005 04:52 PM

totally bizarre alternatives to fuel crisis?

Any one got any? Heres mine:

1. Convert conventional engines into steam engines- have boilers forcing steam into the cylinders to turn the engine.

2. Build tons of "mini-refiners" in cities- haul crude to the refinery, have it refined, and buy the gas direct from the refinery

3. (heard this one somewhere else here... ) Put a lift kit on the back of your car so its always going down hill.

4. rats. i had another one but i forgot it. i'll add it later.

So, i'm not saying that any of these will work, just thought it would be interesting to hear everyones insane ideas to cope.

FORD_LOVER 09-01-2005 05:09 PM

get corn from local elevator and distill some ethanol. Then run a mixture in your truck. It would only be a litte on the high side of the octane scale. but hey you can also drink the excess ethanol.

kwob 09-01-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dorkpunch
Any one got any? Heres mine:

1. Convert conventional engines into steam engines- have boilers forcing steam into the cylinders to turn the engine.

I don't know if that is possible...but if it is, what would you fire the boilers with?

dorkpunch 09-01-2005 05:26 PM

wood from the rainforests.....

Fred R 09-01-2005 06:12 PM

3. (heard this one somewhere else here... ) Put a lift kit on the back of your car so its always going down hill.

Pair that one with "Eat a lot of beans so you always have the wind at your back" and you'd be unstoppable! :-fire :-D

MustangGT221 09-01-2005 07:22 PM

No political discussion on the forums :)

E350superduty 09-01-2005 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by FORD_LOVER
. but hey you can also drink the excess ethanol.

or make moonshine shooters with jello.

fxrscotty 09-01-2005 08:55 PM

Walk to the store for beer?

racsan 09-01-2005 09:22 PM

well, we are curently occupieing a oil-producing country, think its time for a little retribution, start sending some tankers back this way full of oil!

RomerB2 09-02-2005 12:30 AM

Require everybody to turn their gas guzzling SUV's to Mopeds.. ok maybe not, I like my gas guzzler.

76supercab2 09-02-2005 07:41 PM

Boy, that would really bring back the age old practice of 'warming up the car'.

"Honey, go fire up the car. I need to go to town in 3 hours."

How about a giant version of the friction motors in my kid's toy cars. Just push the car backwards before you leave.

Rubber band motor with a hand crank to 'prime' the engine.

Land yacht. Big sail on top of the car.

Windmill on top of the car to generate electricity while you drive. Use the electricity to run the car. (Yes, it's a perpetual motion machine.)

theshyguy 09-02-2005 09:26 PM

Always rolling down hill. haha, I wish it'd work

We are just going to have to walk more, drive less, and have more economical vehicles and last but not least fine something other than oil. Like ethanol or more currently feasible, biodiesel.

But we could go to something like a bourke engine.

E350superduty 09-03-2005 03:29 PM

if compressed enough, couldn't any flammable liquid run an engine?

Greywolf 09-05-2005 05:05 AM

There was a time, not so long ago - when one of the big fads was large skateboards with olympic sails rigged like on a sailboard.

In the old west, there was a legend of an old sailor or sea captain who outfitted a conestoga wagon with rigging and sails.

-So it isn't that far fetched, but what happens if you have to stop suddenly???

In the Phillipines, there are two intriguing ideas. One is the "Jeepney". Old jeeps, with seats in the back for passengers that run on diesel through local areas. At each stop, pesos are passed forward to the driver. Its sort of a mini-bus system.

There are also trikes. Usually they are made out of mopeds and small CC motorbikes by adding a sidecar arrangement to them. Unlike a conventional sidecar, these are more upright, with a canopy, and have a bench style seat. Both of these are used as public transportation.

In Waikiki, and also in downtown Memphis there are "Pedi-Cabs". Sort of a combination of a bicycle, and a simple buggy (but without the horse). They are very expensive to hire though!

About a month and a half ago, I saw a horse drawn wagon going down the road near my house - but it had been modified from what we think of as one of those by the replacement of the classic wheels with car tires and rims.

In Pennsylvania the Amish people still drive horses and buggies to this very day, and one must be careful on the country roads because horses and wagons have the right of way, even though they are slow.

Now - my thoughts (recently) on an electric car would be to provide it with some solar panels to maintain the batteries, but also to convert a lawnmower engine to steam power and use it to drive a common twelve volt automobile alternater and charging system.

If the sun was out - the batteries would charge, extending the range.
If it was parked at home, the charger would be plugged in.
If a long trip was planned, load up some coal or wood to drive the generator!

But anything that simple is unlikely to be practical...

dorkpunch 09-05-2005 02:48 PM

yes, greywolf, jeepneys are a good idea, but, have you ever ridden in one?!!! They are a BLAST if you go for rollercosters and that sort of thing.... but i dont think most of the people in this country would enjoy riding in them (at least, if a filipino was driving the way they do over there!) as for the trikes- i LOVED riding in those- they even had some they addapted to go down old rail road tracks with- get this- old engine bearings. they would actually use old crank bearings out of their 2 stroke bike engines as WHEELs to go down the tracks. Now that was a wild ride. all good ideas though!