Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tennessee Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum95/)
-   -   It looks like round II with a Pony car I helped build... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/405457-it-looks-like-round-ii-with-a-pony-car-i-helped-build.html)

Greywolf 08-24-2005 08:18 PM

It looks like round II with a Pony car I helped build...

A couple months back, Dee and I built up a car for a friend of ours out of two seperate mustangs and a pile of wiring harnesses...

On a budget. His, not ours.

The original car we dubbed "NIGHTmare" because of all the rust, busted stuff, and wore out parts on it, but the chassis we found for him was clean as a whistle!

Now he wants new springs, and struts all around. I may make a few dimes and nickles off a brake job on it. We bid two hundred on the job, and have Dee's air conditioned three bay garage to do the deed in.

I figure about three hours tops, if all the parts are the right ones!

*wink*

Mustangsean 08-24-2005 08:20 PM

Sounds like fun...if y'all need any help/parts, give me a holler.

Sean

Greywolf 08-24-2005 08:38 PM

Y'know the one fear in all of this is that the owner may not have rounded up the right goodies - so we might get stalled with it in the shop like the last time (NEVER AGAIN!).

When we first saw this machine it was an in and out tranny R&R.
I found the rust problems in the first five minutes looking around it - it was ready to crap it's floor pan in the middle of a highway somewhere, to put it mildly...

Then I found a bad water pump.

THEN I found a bad timing chain...

I suggested pulling the oil pan and checking some of the bearing caps and both Dee and the owner looked at me kindee wild eyed and hollered "NO!!!" :-X14

- It was sorta like that.

In short, it went way over the mans budget at the time, but we help out our friends, Yknow?

I have to admit though - it turned out really sweet...

I'll get pic's of it when I can.

~Dutch

Mustangsean 08-24-2005 09:06 PM

I've got a motorcycle at my house that sounds just like that mustang. It came to me for a simple carb sync, and is still here needing throttle cables, air filters, oil, filter, petcock, front forks rebuilt, etc.

He wanted something that would be safe to ride from Germantown to Downtown on a daily basis, and I 'bout had a heart attack when the bike showed up at my garage. It has been sitting outside for years with no cover, and if the termites quit holding hands, the darn thing would fall apart. It's that bad. Oh well. I think he's finally given up on it, and is coming to pick it up this week. I need the room back. It's time to start the SAS on my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sea

Greywolf 08-25-2005 02:23 AM

On a bike, that kind of maintenance is not what you would call "Put Off"...

It's more in the line of "Lifesaving".

How the dickens did it get that way?

Mustangsean 08-25-2005 06:55 AM

Well, it was ridden about three years ago, and then sat outside, no cover, without the tank on it, so water got down into everything. This person thought they could take the whole thing apart, clean it out, and put it back together. Well, needless to say, I was given the task of fixing the mistakes. But, he doesn't want to put any money into it, so away the bike goes...

Sean

Greywolf 08-26-2005 04:20 AM

Tell me about it. Theres been a stupid scooter outside my place for over a year now that was ruined the first year it was given to a kid the family knew.

I found out real quick that it was beyond help (WAY beyond...) and it has been left here to rot as if I were running a community junk yard or something. I was going to jam the whole works into the back of my truck and go dump it back in the yard it came from, but the dang thing is just too heavy.

At this point there are four junk cars sitting around here courtesy of the oldest step son and the estranged wife - mostly the step son. I could scrap them, if they came up with the paperwork on them, or rebuild one or two of them. But they claim they can't find the titles. I know that game...

Get them running, and see how fast the titles appear! No thank you...

That it "IRKS" me is one of my greatest understatements.

Mustangsean 08-26-2005 05:36 PM

Well, if you want to unload the scooter, my girlfriend is really looking for one, and is hoping that it will be something that needs work so that we can work on it together. hint...hint...hint...

Sean

Greywolf 08-26-2005 07:01 PM

If I could ditch it like that I would. I don't think it would be ethical though.

Ever heard of a "Geeley" bike? I would not want to wish it on an enemy, much less a chapter member...

Trust me, it's internally wasted!

On the other hand, I've got a 3 1/2 horse mini-bike I need to get busy on!

Mustangsean 08-26-2005 11:03 PM

A mini bike could be interesting. My next door neighbor wants me to build him one of those chopper versions. "It can't be that hard, just some tubing and a go kart motor, and a 12 pack should do it, right?" Well, no.

Sean

lariat97 08-26-2005 11:31 PM

We have a 80 cc Honda scooter for sale. It needs work but the motor is ok. My wife wants a bigger one now. I don't ride it but she does.

Mustangsean 08-27-2005 04:35 PM

Well, drop me an email or PM and let's talk.

Sean

Greywolf 08-27-2005 08:19 PM

The mini I have was going to be chopped, but the owner changed his mind and gave it to me....

I may do a number on it anyway - but too much rake is a bad thing. It makes it a bear to steer.

All I'd really have to do is yank the fork, have the mount tube reset by a friend of mine that welds, and then re-weld the fork tubes so that they sit higher.

The whole works needs wire wheeling and paint anyway, so what the heck...